Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭jimmythesulk

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Box to box

I agree we need a bit of a rebuild. Where id be critical is Derek went back with Cody's team last year and it didn't improve but to go back with Cody's team two years later is very poor and of course we took a step backwards. People saying cork going long with ball. There's a huge difference going long with 3 inside compared to us retreating and pumping ball up 2v1. Absolutely criminal this day and age. i hope theres alot of work going on behind the scenes to get the right people involved in teams. Someone said that the underage management could get another year with tweaks. That wouldn't shock me but if that happens it would be scandalous. Ben o Connor stepped down from cork u20 and they appointed a new manager. Why can't we appoint management that will take it all the matches and not scutter around in October when lads are committed to different teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,406 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Chap Cleere has resigned from Kilkenny Camogie job ……

#OutOfHisDepth

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jamesbond2022

No surprise it seemed like he only wanted the job to keep up his public profile

The management team before him were top notch it was always a step down when he took the job

The current squad are ageing and lack experience in comparison to previous years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭kentu

Big rebuild ahead with Camogie team now it would seem, 2 Quater final losses with big player turnover lately and Grace Walsh and More than likely Katie Power potentially stepping away would indicate a big Job on for someone. Never any lack of talented Players willing to put their best foot forward for the Cause infairness.

Yep .. .Thats it shur, int it lad….

'Demand' - do you know for a fact that thats a tactic ?

Or is it more that the Hurling clubs are happy (?) to share their grounds with another code of the National game ?

Players werent happy with him either….
    Dropping players for no reason , poor communication….

A bit of a spoofer methinks …..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Fionan Mackessy was playing and to be honest he will need to step it up a lot from the level he showed last night. He's touch was poor he took his few points well but he was well marshalled by Evan Cody and Cillian Buckley. If any one was thinking he might be an option for Kilkenny (although I don't know why we would) I'd say last night would dispel a lot of that but there's a long way to go. I'm sure he'll play better when he get up to the speed of it but he definitely didn't wow me as a hurler. As physical specimen he's a huge man and looks very fit but as a hurler he'll need to tighten up his touch a lot to play at the top end of senior in Kilkenny.

OLG are on what I would see as the slightly easier side of the draw with Ballyhale providing the only serious threat to them so they should be in a league or shield final with a buy to the quarter finals. Owen Wall did very well last night and looked a serious threat more so than last year at this stage the intercounty work hasn't hurt him at all. J Molloy was very good too when introduced. L Hogan was poor and and didn't look like a lad playing with confidence. No sign of Heary and the other established KK men last night for OLG. If Mackessy can chip in with 2-3 points every day and the rest of the OLG crowd play to the same level that will likely be enough and should help them push very close to retaining their title. Forwards were there achilles heel last year and I don't think he's a cert to succeed but it could well be enough to see them over the line again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Village87

He will be a good addition for the Kilkenny footballers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭kentu

I was guessing the same with the team against Dublin, an All star of 2 years ago brought on in last 10 minutes would of seemed that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

He was a very underwhelming appointment last year.And showed the lack Of ambition that exists within the camogie board. The similarities between the gaa and camogie in Kilkenny are startling. Haven't won a u16 All ireland since 2008 despite dominating u14 and u15. players seem to go backwards the more they play for Kilkenny.

Minor is similar stat maybe 2 all irelands in 20 years.

Kilkenny are in danger of not making a All Ireland simi final for the next 5 or 6 years.And slipping from the big 3 .The retired players and players travelling were masking what was on the Kilkenny panel. Intermediates are in a simifinal but its their last year being allowed inter that competition. It's fairly bleak .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭blackcard

Fionn is a fine specimen and a strong hurler but didn't stand out for me. Took frees when Sean Bolger went off but had a huge slice on his shots

To be fair to chap he was completely out of his depth and a surprising appointment in the 1st place. The backroom team compared to previous years was chalk and cheese. The club scene Is strong in kk but alot of very good players are retired or retiring. There's also a rebuild needed at this level. It's only now we appreciated what Brian dowling done and I'm not saying he is the messiah but he couldn't be any worse than the mens current minor or and u20 coaches. Rumour has it Derek lyng will be stepping down and not look for his 3rd year. This would certainly throw a spanner in the works if this was true but I wouldn't be surprised. There will be a lot of retirements and deep down he knows there will be a few rocky roads down the track. It could get harder to win a semi final. I'd say he wants to get out before the ship sinks and go with his reputation intact. He had no faith in new players and basically used Cody's team for 2 years. His hand will be forced next year and if he didn't trust players the last two years I don't know if he would change next year.It wouldn't surprise me if 5 or 6 lads aren't involved next year. If you take tj,scruff,wally,fogarty and Buckley away from the environment they will be a loss,even putting the arm around a younger lad. Im still of the opinion there's good hurlers in the county and a better coached team would make a big difference. Lumping ball up 2v1 is shocking. We will know in the next few weeks if this is true or not but im after hearing it off a few people who usually wouldn't talk shite. If he does go the county board no doubt will put a hugely impressive management team together.

Thanks very much and great insight as always. He is a huge man alright but his hurling can improve.As you said its early days and he could go better when o loughlins get their full team. It should be a help to o loughlins no matter what and maybe the talk of representing kk was a bit far fetched.We all know theres a big gap from playing with kerry to playing the top teams.What position did he play? The village will be under pressure again this year after losing a few players. Some good young lads coming but that's a few years off. The boro will surely look at how close their neighbours came to winning the all ireland and they should get a lift from it. There's a conveyor belt of young lads and they really need to get over the line. I think they will have learned a good bit from last year's defeat. Management got their match ups wrong and were too slow to change. Is it the same backroom team for the boro? They could have an All ireland winner in their back room team after Sunday. He is a highly regarded coach. C

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DerekLyng
    bainisteoir bainisteoir

I'm going nowhere next year, only back to Langtons with the McCarthy Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Are the Boro short a good few from last year? Some of there main men, Kenny, Gaffney etc?

OLG look v strong with new addition

Do shamrocks have a few back, if so they will be determined to get back to the top

Bridge have a good mix especially if they can keep first 15 fit and healthy

who are the village after losing this year? they might need a few young lads

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Nedflanders02

If Lyng was to step down you'd imagine he would do it straight away to let someone else be in place for the club championship and start planning for next year. Personally, I don't think he will step down, I think he'll give it one more year and try and get over the line. I think a big problem we would have if he did go is that there is no obvious replacement. Tom Mullaly maybe being the exception to that but other than him your taking a chance on someone like Dowling, Hogan or Shefflin. I think it would be in our best interest if Lyng does stay to get in a new coach, someone like Tommy Shefflin or Paddy Mullaly who I think could make a big impact.

He was named left wing forward but played mainly right or centre forward. It will be interesting to see how he goes once they get up and going but when he was marked aggressively (which he will be in Kilkenny) he's ability to win the ball was not great.

I think most clubs have lost a lot of lads to immigration, I think the difference with the Village is they didn't have great depth to begin with and with 3-4 of their better player gone the closet is fairly bare. They do have a great young crop coming through but it's a big ask for them to come into senior and make a big impact, most are just out of minor.

The Boro have lost 3 starters and were down 10+ of this years players for Tuesdays match, so I was happy to see them win. The biggest loss for the Boro will be Tom Kenny he was huge for us last year but we probably have the backs to cover. The loss of Andy Gaffney and Aidan Nolan will be hard to compensate for in the forwards although I was heartened to see the young lads play well albeit against a weakened O'Loughlins defence. The likes of Sean Keenan, Kevin Moore and Matty Kelliher all got stuck in and did well for their first big game at senior. One swallow doesn't make a summer though and in the white heat of actual championship it will be tougher but they might be good options from the bench. The Boro will have a strong team no doubt but it will likely be a lot less experienced with the loss of the likes of Conor Doheny, Chris Kavanagh, Alan Phelan, Kevin Kenny, Evan Carroll, Robbie Fitzpatrick, and Robbie Murphy over the last few years, along with the 3 mentioned before. Obviously I'd love to see them do it but with the amount of young lads having to play it might be a big ask this early in their senior careers.

There was only one change to the Boro backroom team this year that I heard of, which was a local coaching swap. Donal might have a senior All Ireland under his belt on Sunday, which never hurts.

Post edited by tbiggertycome on

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mooz

As in Donal Carroll?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Marrooned

ye I’d agree about the Boro I was impressed the other night, they were up for it and have blooded a few players and anyway it’s about time the young guns are given there chance.they are thrown in at the deep end. Now that’s not to say Gaffney ,Kenny and Aiden Nolan will be missed, of course they will but we’ll have to get on with it .

No Donal O'Rourke from Waterford who has been the hurling coach with Pat Ryan's Cork teams for a good few years now. He's been with the Boro under Micky Walsh

Post edited by tbiggertycome on

Maybe its all shite but I'm only saying what I was told. The club scene won't commence for a few weeks. We will know in a few weeks if this is true or not because if he was going to do it you would expect it to be done before or at the early stage of the club scene. I think he was appointed in August. Kk job is still a attractive job but there's a rebuild on now and that's why it wouldn't surprise me if Derek didn't want that and a few bad results. We take leinster for granted but imagine what knifes would be out of we didnt get out of the group.Tj will be some loss if he goes. I know players will always come and go.Scruff would also be a loss if rumours are to be believed.We havent even a free taker to step up which is very poor but we need new players and if we are done for a few years so be it. I agree I wouldn't be afraid of Tom mullally and definitely Tommy Shefflin and paddy mullally would be as good as what's there but kk county board should be going after these lads now for minor and u20 positions.I'd have zero faith in the county board. I think if Lyng does stay he will definitely have to freshen up the back room team. It's being too predictable and stale.Freshness is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hogans heroes

Great job for someone as there is plenty of talent coming through and kilkenny could be challenging very quickly, changing 5 players from the starting team from thr previous week was madness at the quarter final stage of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

You’d imagine a man who has starred for Kerry against Carlow in the Joe McDonagh cup (the same Carlow who drew with Kilkennny this year) would have no problem at all playing in the Kilkenny senior championship.

I’d imagine it won’t take Mackassey long to stand out for OLG after a few matches.

I think Owen Wall could have a big year, his pace is frightening.

Owen should have been brought on v Clare, Wally Walsh and Fogarty were not the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I agree with you it may be shite but I heard the rumour too and it probably says a lot about the pressure and criticism from the semi final loss that these rumours start. I think a lot of the problems can be traced back to the Carlow game, we all have our opinions on Cody but say what you want about him there is no way one of his teams would have drew that game. That put him under pressure but in his defence he bounced back 2 good wins v Dublin and a good win against Wexford the nature of the semi final loss has again led to criticism. Now I do think he deserves another year in charge but I agree that a freshen up of his back room team is badly needed. The U20 job will be a great job for someone to get as their is talent there so it is vital to get that right, be great to see one of the Mullaly's involved here. A lot of people saying the minor job will be vacant too but I wouldn't be surprised if the CB give Bergin another year, I think he should go but knowing the people in the CB I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a change at minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Wouldnt be surprised to see him go. The pressure is immense. Obvious choice would be Henry and thats the way the CB would probably go. My preference would be for him to stay on as i think he deserves another year. Last year was consistant and there was no shame losing to Limerick as we gave them a game for 60 mins. This year has being more cold than hot IMO.

Another thing is if Derek goes dont be surprised if Cody comes back. I wouldnt rule it out.

people seem to forget that Niall Bergin was also a selector with Mulrooney for a few years how many chances do people want to give this man.If he is seeking redemption it’s too late now, he had plenty of chances on the day and did absolutely nothing. Usually you’d be telling young lads don’t have any regrets leave everything on the pitch, well he didn’t. I would not countenance his return in any shape or form and if he was returned I would seriously consider not following KK again. Absolutely sick to the teeth of those clowns in the county board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Why do people think the senior backroom is stale? They all came on board with Lyng last year except for Phelan who was there with Cody. I just don't get where the perception of staleness comes from.

I'd expect Bergin to stay on if he wants it. Massive overlap of players from last year, knows the players, they've been training a certain way etc etc versus bringing in someone new and having to start from scratch. Whether he should be kept on is a different conversation but I can see him staying on if he wants it.

Re: U20 being a talented group. Isn't this the side that lost to Laois?

• Advertisement

ye but they bet Laois out of sight this year U20

Advertisement