Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,418 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The Quota figure that is announced before Count 1 is 'the figure at which it is mathematically certain to win a seat'. It remains a constant throughout all the counts.

But should it remain constant, as in reality it is always trending downwards? If Candidate X is eliminated after count 1 with 1000 votes, generally some of their votes are not transferable. Clearly the 'Effective Quota' has changed - it is now Original Quota minus (NonTransferable Votes / No Of Seats). Anyone who surpasses this new figure is uncatchable, is effectively elected and in theory has a distributable surplus.

However, they won't be deemed elected until they've reached the original quota, and will ultimately have a smaller surplus to be distributed. Doing it this way would give marginally more weight to surpluses than is currently the case where the count is weighted towards transfers from eliminations. May or may not change the end result, but would definitely largely reduce the amount of 'elected without reaching the quota' candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The overall time would likely be constant, i.e. the time for a 7-seater would be similar to the accumulated time for the 4-seater and 3-seater it has theoretically replaced.

I like the counts. An extra couple of hours or a day or so to get even more proportionality is a good thing in my books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

But you are then giving weight to votes not cast. If a voter wants to, they can continue their preference to the end of the list. The fact they don't is the main cause of votes not being transferable.

Secondly the 'adjustment' would need to take into account various non-transferable totals and the scale of those totals would not be known until after the count

It's a simple calculation though isn't it, and the scale of the totals are actually known at each stage.

e.g., using handy whole numbers. 4 seater, 50,000 votes. Therefore the Quota is 10001 (50,000/5 +1) and anyone above it is declared elected because it is a mathematical certainly.

Say no-one is elected and the last candidate is eliminated with 1000 votes and only 600 of them have a second preference to be distributed. We now know that the true quota has changed to 49600/5 + 1 = 9921. Anyone above this is mathematically certain to be elected yet they aren't declared elected until they reach 10001. It's not a big deal, just a minor inconsistency imo. Personally I think you should be declared elected when it is beyond all maths doubt, but not the way the system works.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If you take that approach, what about the people elected on the first count. Their surplus increases everytime you reduce the quota. In fairness, you would then have to distribute another element of their surplus every single count.

It wouldn't work.

No, I think it'd still be fine, albeit clumsy. The new real-time, true and scientific Quota would only apply to the next count.

By doing that, you disenfranchise some of those who voted for a candidate elected on the first count. That wouldn't stand up.

• Advertisement

Is it any worse than the current system of my vote transferring to someone who is already elected beyond all mathematical doubt but hasn't yet reached the original but by now obsolete quota? That also seems a type of disenfranchisement to me.

Yes, it is worse, because nobody is disenfranchised in your situation. If someone chooses not to go down the list, they choose not to go down the list, so they are not disenfranchised.

Can't agree. If my vote goes to someone who is mathematically certain to be elected (because they've already reached the true quota) but hasn't yet reached the original quota, then I've been disenfranchised. My vote should have transferred to the next person on my list where it might have an effect. Instead it pointlessly transferred to someone who is already home and dry, but not yet officially declared. That's disenfranchisement imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,884 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Personally I think you should be declared elected when it is beyond all maths doubt, but not the way the system works.

That's exactly what happens when candidate(s) (sometimes more than one) are elected without reaching the quota.

Until that happens, it's still mathematically possible for someone else to win a seat.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

This isn't true "Until that happens, it's still mathematically possible for someone else to win a seat.". Like that's my whole point. The original quota is a logical formula based on the votes in play, so 50,000 votes, 4 seater, Quota = 50,000/5, +1. As the count goes on, votes die (no longer transferable). When there is say just 45K votes left in play, the real-time quota is 45,000/5, +1. Anyone above this figure it's impossible for them to be caught, yet they chug on until they reach the original 10K quota (or elected w/o reaching it).

No that's wrong. The votes already transferred are irrelevant in this regard. They stop counting when there are no more candidates who could overtake the leading unelected candidate(s) based on the votes yet to be transferred. They don't keep counting for the LOLs (although they will keep counting if some of the unelectable candidates might win their expenses back)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

There's a name for what you're proposing - It's called Meek's method.

source

Great, good to hear it has a name anyway, and that some 1960s prof saw it was logically sound. I was beginning to doubt myself.

For example, consider a ballot with top preferences A, B, C, and D in that order, where the weightings of the candidates are 𝑎, 𝑏, 𝑐, and 𝑑, respectively. From this ballot A will retain 𝑟𝐴=𝑎, B will retain 𝑟𝐵=(1−𝑎)𝑏, C will retain 𝑟𝐶=(1−𝑎)(1−𝑏)𝑐, and D will retain 𝑟𝐷=(1−𝑎)(1−𝑏)(1−𝑐)𝑑.

Why on earth didn't this catch on? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

6 or 7 seat constituencies would be geographically very large, in rural situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Can a new thread be set up to discuss electoral systems? This has taken over a couple of threads and has been the same comments repeatedly for close to two months now. While it is related to General Irish politics, it is a specific topic which goes far beyond the scope of this thread, particularly given the depth to which it is being discussed.

I think we should have 5, 6 or 7 seaters everywhere, and let the size work from there (i.e. have 5-seaters in large rural areas, 7 seaters in the cities).

3 seaters should be abolished as soon as is practicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We're going to have 2 candidates running in the same constituency with the exact same name in the next election

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭blackwhite

My inner politics nerd is far more tickled by this than I should admit 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Does anyone think one of ROG, Harris and McEntee could miss out in the next election?

ROG only scraped through the last time a bit like Simon Harris so if their support drops at all they're likely to miss out.

McEntee on the other hand came second in a 3 horse race. There was no refugee crisis then so two of the losers then Aontu's Eimear Toibin and Independent Sharon Keogan could challenge her position. Both these candidates are completely against and outspoken regarding the refugee crisis so it's possible they'll gain enough support to challenge.

Every week there's negative publicity around McEntee so who knows support could drop opening the door for the others. Her saving grace could come from the fact they haven't pushed huge numbers of IPA's into her constituency. Towns like Ashbourne, Rataoth, Dunboyne and Trim largely unaffected by the goings on.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Keogan is absolutely bonkers and won't be able to avoid connection to her bonkers statements during a campaign. She won't get in, or get reelected to the seanad.

Harris is safe. No green anywhere is.

The recent local and European elections showed that the heightened concerns about immigration did not translate into seats with the exception of a few working class LLEs in Dublin and Newbridge (for some reason).

Sharon Keoghan is an out and out conspiracy theorist. She hasn't a hope of getting elected in a general election - especially in a 3 seater.

Similarly Aontu haven't shown much signs of the break through that would be required in a general election. Very difficult to see anyone but their leader getting elected again next time out.

Harris is 100% guaranteed to win his seat. His career was at a low point at the 2020 general election. The previous government had just been brought down over a pending vote of confidence in his performance as minister of Health. Even then though his seat was never really in doubt and it only took him until the final count to get elected due to his running mate lasting until that same count.

Since then his career has soared to new heights. The early months of the Pandemic were a massive boost to his profile and standing as minister of health. Now he's the Taoiseach and after presiding in a successful local and European election campaign. Wicklow is dropping from a 5 seater to a 4 seater. If he doesn't have a running mate then he'll definitely top the poll. If he does have one then he may still top the poll.

O'Gorman, I suspect, will lose his seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The last Locals wiped out SF and the following GE was very different. I think the political landscape has changed significantly.

Twitter is trending multiple different areas protesting against IPA centres.

Birr, Kilkenny, Tipp, Coolock.

Advertisement