Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options
1312313314315316318»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

I won €75 yesterday.

It was my first win since I signed up online when they stopped the tracker. I used to just use the tracker to check if I won anything.

I was amazed that I received the €75 in my bank account yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

Winnings on 12th July 2024 on €112k: €75

Last win on 3rd May 2024: €75 X 2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

so got my PIN…. at last!

trying to buy using AIB debit card online but can't even buy 100 units. Was able to buy 500 in An Post. Anyone else with AIB and how did you manage to buy a large amount online?

actually….

anyone using an iphone/safari to log into the website?

when I'm prompted to use saved passwords it just crashes back out. I have to manually enter the information

Same with the code that they text me… very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

The AIB daily Debit Card Limit is €7,100 with an inner limit of €5,000 per transaction.

I keep a BOI Debit card specifically because of this - it has a daily limit and transaction limit of €25,000.

• Advertisement

The password works OK on my iPhone but the PIN (verification Code) has never worked if you allow safari to enter it, as you say it just "crashes" back to the initial log-in screen. You have to enter the PIN manually.

The same thing used to happen on the website (Safari on Mac) but they appear to have fixed this recently.

going to have to get onto them I think. Probably a bank issue?

Yeah give AIB a call and give them details of the message you received when you attempted the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭carrickbawn

Yes. Its a crazy bank issue. Every year I go online to buy prize bonds for my grandchildren and godchildren. I fill all the names and addresses in and it rejects my payment. I have been on to Aib several times about it. They have some type of block that goes on automatically when you try to buy more than a couple of hundred euros worth. They told me the last time to fill in the details and immediately ring the number on the back of my debit card and they will temporarily give access to my funds.

A few times I didn't get through quickly enough and had to go back and fill in all the details again.

Its a pain in the a.. but they can't seem to resolve the problem.

Prompted by a couple of recent comments about inconsistent win rates I looked at my PB to see if there were any patterns. Part of my holding consists of 9no. x €25k batches purchased in the first couple of weeks of May 2023, on consecutive days, so they are now 14 months old. The reason for purchasing in this manner was rather than messing with bank drafts I used my BOI debit card which allows up to €25k per day. So an interesting sample to compare the performance variation in batches of the same size over the same time period. (Some batches were included in one or two draws more than others, but I'm ignoring this for this exercise)

Results over 14 months are :

• 1no. batch = zero return. – Total €0
    • 2no. batches = 1 x €75 – Total €75 each, €150
    • 1no. batch = 1 x €50 and 1 x €75 – Total €125
    • 1no. batch = 2 x €50 and 1 x €75 – Total €175
    • 1no. batch = 1 x €50 and 2 x €75 – Total €200
    • 1no. batch = 1 x €50 and 3 x €75 – Total €275
    • 1no. batch = 4 x €75 – Total €300
    • 1no. batch = 1 x €50 and 6 x €75 – Total €500

The difference between the worst performing batch, which won nothing, and the best performing batch which had 7 wins and a total of €500 is huge. I think this gives a very good indication of just how “lucky” or “unlucky” you can be, irrespective of the size of your holding.

Total return is €1,725 which is .77% over 14 months, of which 5 months was at the old notional rate (.35%) and old prize structure and 9 months at the current notional rate (1%) and current prize structure. This approximates to an annual return of .66% over the period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭willycat

Then why don't you move to another bank? This is obviously a pain in the ass issue, a repeated issue that keeps happening every year despite you telling them several times. They won't fix it, and it continues to annoy you every year, forcing you to repeat the transaction and manually contacting them (or going to a branch) every single time. Yet you still continue with them despite the bank proving you year after year that they are terrible.

It's crazy how bad "traditional" Irish banks are at providing even the most basic banking services (transfers, purchases) and how terrible they are at fixing things when they go bad, not to mention the atrocious fees they charge for everything, even for just having an account. But they don't need to improve because the vast majority of our population stays with them no matter what. They can afford to be terrible because they don't lose customers. They don't have any incentive to improve.

I happily moved away from Irish banking fees years ago and couldn't be happier. I would advise you to do the same.

Post edited by willycat on

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 19th July 2024: €0

Last win 12th July 2024: €75

Total winnings on €25k from Feb 2011 to date: €3375

2011: €75 x 4 = €300

2012: €75 x 6 = €450

2013: €50 x 12 = €600

2014: €50 x 9 = €450

2015: €50 x 5 = €250

2016: €50 x 5 = €250

2017: €50 x 4 = €200

2018: €50 x 2 = €100

2019: €50 x 6 = €300

2020: €50 x 5 = €250

2021: €50 x 1 = €50

2022: €50 x 1 = €50

2023: €50 x 1 = €50

2024: €75 x 1 = €75

€75 for me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

100k Invested on 6th June 2024.

7th June - No win

14th June - €75

21st June - 0

28th June - 0

05th July - 0

12th July - 0

19th July - 0

(disappointing win rate so far)

The current average return for bonds is 1% (although you could get more or less than this, obviously). This works out at about €83 per month for €100K. Some months you'll get more, some you'll get less. Right now you are more or less on the 1% average.

If you are looking for better performance than 1% you should look somewhere else. Plently of options providing 3-4% which would give you 250-300 (gross) per month at the current rates.

It is correct to say that the notional interest rate is currently 1%. However this includes the small number of "larger prizes (€500 - €500,000) which, given the huge number of bonds in issue, you have very little chance of winning and so they skew the odds significantly. Looking at the €75 prizes only, which is the vast majority of prizes, the current expected return in approx .77%.

Based on the current notional interest rate, the current prize structure and average luck, a €100,000 holding can expect to win 10.22 €75 prizes per annum. So one win in seven weeks is close to the expectation. There is also the (remote) chance of winning a larger prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Copy and paste …………………….

Nothing on 5k

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Someone getting 4% has to pay one third of that in DIRT, making the real return 2.68%. Prize Bond winnings are DIRT free.

€75 for me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭John arse

Hardly a ringing endorsement of Prize Bonds that- over 2.5 times better GUARANTEED return with the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Heavily invested in equities already and don't want to put more money into the markets, bonds or equities.

Bought the PB's as a bit of fun for Friday each week with the remote possibility of a big win.

• Advertisement

Oh I get that, but you can't be disappointed when you are hitting exactly the average return :)

As hibernicus pointed out, 1% is misleading because it includes the big prices which 99.99% of bond holders will never see. Excluding big prices, the real return is closer to 0.77%. Which is in line with what you got in a month and a half…

A 2.68% net return is way better than the average PB net returns (around 0.77% excluding big prices). Like 4 times better.

As hibernicus pointed out, the real PB % return is closer to 0.77% than to the advertised 1%, as this 1% includes the big prizes. Which makes the comparison even worse for PBs vs the 2.68% net some banks/financial institutions offer.

As is often mentioned in the media, €150 billion is held in accounts paying less than 0.77%. And another €20 billion in Credit Unions which won't even tell depositors what rate they are paying until the end of the year.

Prize Bonds people are famous for having very diversified portfolios, moving some of their funds around to get the best deals. The €4.5 billion in Bonds is just for the simplicity of the product, and the State guarantee. No need to worry about them not getting much of a return.

https://www.bonkers.ie/blog/personal-finance/raisin-offering-up-to-100-bonus-interest-to-savers/

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2024/0324/1439481-clock-is-ticking-on-enhanced-deposit-offerings/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Nothing here

A few comments on the issue of PB returns. It's important to understand why you hold Prize Bonds and manage your expectations accordingly.

4% for demand deposits with a dependable capital guarantee is rare in the Irish market. N26 (for Metal Account holders) is currently the only one I am aware of, though how long that will last is another question. 3% is a far more realistic measure for camparative purposes.

While DIRT is 33% currently, the actual rate can be higher. It reaches a combined 37% (33% DIRT and 4% PRSI) for those who are considered Chargeable Persons by Revenue, 40% for income on Deposits outside the EU for higher rate income tax payers and a combined 44% (40% DIRT and 4% PRSI) for Chargeable Persons on income on Deposits outside the EU. There is no DIRT or other domestic tax payable on Prize Bond prizes.

There are significant reasons for buying Prize Bonds apart from the rate of return. Principal among these are the strength of the guarantee (Repayment of all funds held by State Savings is a direct, unconditional obligation of the Irish Government as opposed to the DGS which is not Government guaranteed), elevated guarantee ceiling (all funds held by State Savings are guaranteed, as opposed to the DGS limit of €100k, and lower limits in other cases), funds are available on demand (after 90 days) and the chances, however remote, of winning a “large” prize. Prize Bonds should always be seen as complimentary to other asset classes such as equities, other bonds, bank deposits, gold, tulips, bitcoin etc and not as an exclusive alternative – i.e. to held as part of an appropriately balanced portfolio.

That said, I believe that the current rate is unfairly low and represents a failure by Michael McGrath to meet the expectations he created when he was opposition spokesman. After he got the job as Minister for Finance he failed to remedy the deficiencies he highlighted most vocally in the past.

For anyone not familiar, our friends in Ask About Money keep a very good list of the best savings deals.

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/savings-best-buys.90481/

Advertisement