Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Interesting to see three Lockheed L-1011 Tristars parked on those stands. I don't recall ever seeing wide body aircraft parked there previously.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The Royal livery puts the photo between 1996 and 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

See the DAA announced reduced charges for Cork airport to try and gain from the passenger cap in Dublin airport. Silence from the Shannon group in relation to the airport and routes.

On the same day the of the Cork airport announcement. The below appeared on the independent . Air Canada the one that jumped out I relation to shannon

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/low-cost-airline-jet2-squeezed-out-of-dublin-airport-due-to-passenger-cap/a1246179366.html

I was thinking the same. Silence from Shannon.

Mary did a interview with ITIC and no mention of new routes there either. She also said passenger growth would flatten for the rest of the year. They need to wake up and get pushing for new routes

I also dont know who updates the Shannon Airport wikipedia page because its showing Shannon- Paris ends in October. When in fact it doesnt its onsale right through to next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Its all only PR shite anyways, I'm sure Shannon offers good incentives to anyone starting a new route, not just under the guise of 'moving routes from Dublin'.

Airlines pick routes on their merits, airport fee's are only a small part of the overall operating costs. Low fees won't be much consolation where a flight has no passengers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Tiernster7

The website is updated externally anyway. When I asked about a change to it last year (schedules) they were pretty uncomfortable on next steps.

To be fair I heard this interview and she certainly said they were targeting new routes, and I expect they are.

Where did you hear the Canada confirmation?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

does anyone know how SNN has fared the last few weeks with the Aer Lingus disruption? Flying to and from London next week and just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Spotted a few cancellations on the departures and arrival boards but don't know exact numbers

Occasionally an evening LHR cancelled, but mainly everything's running.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Very little was cancelled. 2 x LHR on the day of the 8 hour stoppage from memory and 1 other to Heathrow. Trans Atlantic all went. Primary reason is 2 out of the 3 LHR’s are “W” routes of of DUB and CRK. This means the a/c does DUB-LHR-SNN-LHR-DUB and do on.

• Advertisement

the 320 neo do DUB-LHR-SNN-LHR-SNN-LHR, overnight in Heathrow and go back to Dublin the next morning. This is for the summer. The ORK crew do it in the winter as well as DUB crew.

I didnt say anything about Canada?

I just said Paris isnt being cancelled. Aer lingus have it on sale right through to next summer

does anyone know if Delta with return in Summer 2025? Shannon- JFK isn’t on sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭cson

I know they pulled it a month early too, was supposed to run to the start of October but ends on the 7th September.

Might not be doing too well for them, a 767 is a lot of plane for Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fjr13

Might there be some truth to those Cork and Delta rumours?

What Cork and Delta rumours? A 767 can't make the US from Cork. Even when Norwegian were flying to the US from Cork, the 737 MAX couldn't make the US East Coast fully loaded.

Delta have been in and out of Shannon for years. Why would they want to do Cork when Shannon would be more established.

757 can apparently work from Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Cork airport claim Delta were set to serve Cork in 2020 using a 757 but Covid blocked the route being set up. There have been a couple of posters on Reddit claiming the route will be relaunched but it seems extremely unlikely since the 757's are only being used on domestic routes now.

The 757 are being used on Reykjavik Keflavik-Detroit and Minneapolis as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

DL have stated that the 757’s are moving to domestic only*, that’s one of the reasons SNN was a 767 this year, which IMO is far too much aircraft for that route anyway. I also think that a DL route into ORK will just cannibalise the SNN operations.

*I wasn’t aware KEF still has a couple of 757 routes with DL

• Advertisement

It's a moot point anyway as heavys couldn't operate the route from Cork. They will be getting 737 MAX 10s, but not until at least 2027, and there's nothing to say that they'd use them TA anyway.

Not really applicable to here anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

Anyone know what the situation is like at the airport today? With the IT debacle ongoing Ryanair has advised passengers to turn up 3 hours before their flight in order to check in 1990's style.

I've to drive from Waterford tomorrow to drop off the grandmother in law to the airport for a morning flight. Could really do without having to check in at the desk given the early start.

There is no issue with the airport. The issue was that Ryanair (and others) use Microsoft to run their online systems.

You only had to turn up 3 hours early if you hadn't already checked in online before the outage started. If she's already checked in online, she'll be fine. CrowdStrike (the people who screwed up) have rolled out a fix, so if your MIL hasn't already checked in online, she'll be able to do so once Ryanair are back online.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

Ah I meant were there hundreds queuing at the check in desks as opposed to the airport suffering from the IT issue.

It looks like I can check her in online now so it seems ryanair have got sorted.

Most people would have their boarding passes saved at this stage anyways, it's really only the people who haven't paid for seats who can't check in until 24 hours before.

I see United's flight to Chicago was cancelled, think the crew went out of hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Looks like the 100ml liquid rule will be back albeit temporarily.

On the new routes front, everything seems incredibly quiet. Winter schedule is on the horizon and looks like FAO won't be operating this year.

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/eu-airports-blast-blocs-decision-to-reinstate-100ml-liquid-rule-from-september-47677

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I found the lifting of the liquid rule to be of only partial benefit. If your destination airport didn't have the same relaxation of the rule, you could be stuck having to dispose of expensive toiletries, sun block etc when returning home after a trip if you're only carrying on board luggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Masala

I agree……

it was handly that you didnt have to piddle around with see-thru bags bursting at the seams and arguing with Security Staff that 'it must be able to be closed' etc. Also - not having to throw away bottled water was a good saving etc when travelling.

This new rule is a backward step …. and the 'reasoning' behind same doesnt make alot of sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Tiernster7

Ryanair have gone from chasing the dublin cap to looking for Regional airport funding limits to go to 3 million so that regional airports are less afraid of increasing numbers and losing funding.

Re Faro it was added very late last year. I'd guess something similar is occuring this year

Advertisement