Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Under-20 2024 Team

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

2 very soft scores there, just missing first up tackles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Yeah the conditions now have the players sliding all over the shop.

He'd have slid from 5 out there regardless with his pace and momentum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Yarr with 2 poor underthrows so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Heffo001

Surprised that stays a yellow, looked to drive him into the ground for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I thought there was an element of driving too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Ireland getting undone repeatedly with a pass before contact sending someone through a gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Yarr's throwing has been so poor

Lads just falling apart this half, dire stuff.

100%. Reminiscent of BOD vs Umaga in 2005. You’d have thought they’d have gotten that out of the game by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭johnh6767

not enjoying this, last 24 points to NZ and they look like they’re only kicking off . Outclassed again sadly, needs a big moment to reverse momentum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭FtD v2

They're still showing plenty of heart IMO and still piling into hits, but just look a bit outmatched at this stage.

Injuries have taken an absolutely huge toll on this young squad in their defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭JPCN1

lucky not to see red there.

Once again an Irish player lifted and dropped down on his head in a ruck (Max Flynn this time).

WTAF is the referee and TMO looking at?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Poor defence from O: Connor there for that try. Made it very easy for the kiwi.

Desperate half, nothing working bar some heroic defense

Great heart to finish with a try.

Absolutely awful second half from Ireland, but scoreline flatters New Zealand too.

There is still a lot of talent in this squad with a bright future.

Lovely, all came from half break in midfield from Gavin

Another cracking try (though I think we got away with a forward pass in the build up).

Gavin absolutely superb again.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭johnh6767

this French team haven’t turned up, they lost to NZ in the group stages, then gave them a proper going over to reach the final, and now look like an entirely different team. England deserved winners , consistent throughout the competition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Shehal

I always felt the big difference between England and the rest, which is why they are the best side imo overall, is they have lowest drop off on any side. I do feel any of the 4 SF's could beat the other on their day but France today, NZL in the SF & Ireland in both tbh have had a really big drop off in their performance that you've just never seen from England, England even on an off day can still find a way to win even in the toughest of scenario's which is why they are deserved winners in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Thought Mullan and Smyth did great, team played well until Smyth went off, turned the game, not sure why Mullan didnt start against England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I don't want to be critical of young lads but it was a bit of a disappointing tournament overall. Think I thought we were closer to England based on 6 nations and sort of thought we would be better.

Barely beat Georgia, well beaten by England, (no shame in that but just a big gap) pretty well beaten by NZ today.

There will be a few pros out of this group no doubt. Think they were well coached which maybe makes some lads look better than they might be. (Which is a complement to all involved) But maybe you'd rather a few stand out stars in a less cohesive group. (Not that it's a choice!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Shehal

I dont how you could watch this side and come to the conclusion they were "well coached" ?

Their basic's throughout i.e Defence, set piece, receiving of kick offs etc. was incredibly poor, if that counts as "good coaching" then what counts as bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Groups for next years competition

England
    Australia
    South Africa
    Scotland

France
    Argentina
    Wales
    Spain

NZ
    Ireland
    Georgia
    Italy​

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Disappointed to lose. Poor performance. 4th place finish isn't bad, I guess.

England worthy winners. Phenomenal pack and we'll coached.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's fine to be critical. I thought the depth was lacking. Murphy moving on probably affected the coaching. For the tournament, I think the team was so so. Agree with Shehal, it's hard to say the coaching was good. There's a few decent prospects among the squad and it will be interesting to see them develop.

Jackman said this year's squad was better than the last crop. I don't see it.

4th is very good especially if you compare it to majority of our previous performances at this level

Wouldn't Take too much heed of jackman. ...

It Is fine to be critical if you actually look at things rationally.

Whatever way you look at things. In 14 tournaments this equalled our 3rd best result. We made semis when predominantly we have finished in 7th 8th or 9th

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ljsulster

Ultimately injuries cost this squad imo,

O’Connell

Usanov

Hopes

Walker

De Klerk

5 lads who likely would’ve started this tournament missing either the whole thing or the knockout stages. Hard to come back from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ljsulster

Anyway, on to next year

My XV:

Usanov

Walker

Mullan

Corrigan

Spicer

Jackson*
    Angulo

Murphy