Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,652 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Pretty hilarious considering some completely refuse to blame anyone other than Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That maybe so. Whereas you realise there are valid criticisms to be made of both Hamas and the Israeli government. Which you have spent most of the thread doing. You haven't sought to deflect criticism of Israel with one liners.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not blaming anyone other than Israel, but far far too often their crimes get dismissed.

There's near unanimous agreement across the world that Hamas is a major problem, and a horrible , terrorist organisation that has a thin veil of political party on them, however, Israel has killed thousands upon thousands, created millions of refugees and injured 10s of htousands of palestinians in gaza and the west bank for decades and an awful lot of it is their aggression

• Registered Users Posts: 51,941 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I haven't seen the post where you condemned the murders of 17,000 Palestinian children as yet. That's not hilarious at all but very sad and made to look like you actually support it. Maybe you'd like to comment on why?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Another harrowing read, the IDF are animals

• Advertisement

Terribly cruel but not surprising. They are a rabble. A proper army would look after someone with Special Needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Odhinn

'Most moral army' strikes again.

"Nabila is left with an image of her dead child that refuses to go away.
    “This scene I will never forget… I constantly see the dog tearing at him
    and his hand, and the blood pouring from his hand… It is always in
    front of my eyes, never leaving me for a moment. We couldn't save him,
    neither from them nor from the dog.”

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cz9drj14e0lo

The Israelis claim that they target Hamas militants with these 'surgical strikes' which many people claim are direct attacks on the civilian population. I'm inclined to agree. If their information is so good then why haven't they freed the hostages as yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Related to that. The 'but they use civilians as human shields' talking point that was rehashed a few posts up reminded me of something I was thinking before. At this stage, why would Hamas bother hiding among civilians given that the IDF has demonstrated no issue whatsoever of mass murdering civilians, logically it would be safer for Hamas not to be anywhere near civilians in Gaza or Palestine generally. And re. the hostages, they clearly don't care but given most of the apologists have dropped off the thread we won't get the latest talking points around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Things getting worse in the West Bank

"As Israel carries out a devastating war on Gaza, settlers are exploiting
    the lack of global attention on the occupied West Bank to expel
    Palestinians from their land there.

According to Peace Now, a nonprofit organisation that monitors land
    confiscation in the West Bank, Israel has seized 23.7sq km (9.15sq
    miles) of Palestinian land this year while Israel’s war on the Gaza
    Strip, in which at least 38,848 Palestinians, mostly women and children,
    have been killed and 89,459 wounded, goes on."

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2024/7/19/how-israeli-settlements-are-taking-over-the-west-bank-as-gaza-war-rages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭scottser

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

Some relevant points about the use of IDF " surgical strikes" raise a lot of awkward questions for the Israeli government & I'm sure plenty of people in Israel are thinking the same.

One point that is hard to get your head around is that the IDF is getting information on the location of individuals within Hamas from Palestinians.

I know usually they will use a mixture of bribery & blackmail but someone now is still passing on information with the knowledge that scores of civilians will be killed.

You would have to think that the IDF might have more information on the location of any hostages still alive than they are willing to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jul/19/israels-settlement-policies-break-international-law-court-finds

UN court orders Israel to end its occupation of Palestinian territories

Reading the court’s opinion on Friday, the president of the ICJ, Nawaf Salam, said: “The court considers that the violations by Israel of the prohibition of the acquisition of territory by force and of the Palestinian people’s right to self-determination have a direct impact on the legality of the continued presence of Israel, as an occupying power, in the occupied Palestinian territory.

“The sustained abuse by Israel of its position as an occupying power, through annexation and an assertion of permanent control over the occupied Palestinian territory and continued frustration of the right of the Palestinian people to self-determination, violates fundamental principles of international law and renders Israel’s presence in the occupied Palestinian territory unlawful.”

The opinion was provided in response to a request from the UN general assembly in 2022. It precedes the Gaza conflict and is not directly linked to it but will add to the pressure on Israel – and its allies – to bring an end to its military offensive, in which it has killed more than 38,000 Palestinians, according to the Gaza health ministry.

This started long before what's happening before now. Despicable behaviour from Israel and the world knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Just out of interest, is anyone else getting PMs from thread banned users asking to engage about posts in this thread? I got one this morning and I have no interest in replying to them.

Unless they are not getting information and just bombing and killing anyway. If they were getting information then how come very few hostages have been freed?

If the times of Israel can be believed, the strikes supposedly targeting Dief wouldn't have gone ahead if he was surrounded by Israeli hostages. So it could be the IDF and Israeli intelligence know more about where other hostages are but can't come up with a plan that would free them without mass casualties amongst the hostages. The others leaders of Hamas that are still alive won't be making the same mistake as Dief made. Although we still don't even know if he was actually killed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Biden gone now. Will be interesting to see who the new Democratic candidate will be, probably Harris. I'd say they will continue to supply weapons to Israel and do as little as possible to push for a ceasefire. Bibi must be delighted in how he played Biden.

Joe boasted in a recent interview that no one has done more for Palestinians than he has. Maybe he was mixing up Israelis and Palestinians. Who ever takes over there will be no great change in American policy towards Israel. It's going to be a more difficult path for European nations after the ICJ ruling on Friday. They will find it harder to ignore the ruling.

Trump is parroting '' world peace ''. We'll see how that works out as it looks as if he'll be elected.

As I said pages back, he should not have sought reelection but should have taken as hard a line approach as possible to Israel and some other belligerents and had a legacy that was not just keeping trump out in 2020.

Anyway, back in Gaza, humanitarian zone is about to be bombarded yet again. Probably received the 500lb bombs just in time to do so

Israeli military orders evacuation of part of Gaza humanitarian zone

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jul/22/israel-khan-younis-southern-gaza-evacuation-order-attacks-humanitarian-areas?CMP=share_btn_url

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Chinese forging ahead and laying the foundations for a unity Palestinian government.

Great. A new Palestine with a few Chinese airbases in it would upset a lot of countries. Especially those countries who supplied the murder weapons to Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭engineerws

Looks like the tide of USA support for genocide is finally starting to turn.

https://x.com/AOC/status/1815842132269158845

Netanyahu is absolutely cracked and he is a truly appalling public speaker.

I see he used the phrase useful idiots, so good to see the shout down criticism playbook being used there by people who dont actually have a rebuttal to the mass slaughter being carried out.

He's just outright lying and morons in the Senate are whooping and hollering

Post edited by Weepsie on

• Registered Users Posts: 43 SonicSuper

Bibi just called Biden a proud American Irish Zionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 SonicSuper

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭engineerws

This from the Washington Post.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu offered a defiant address before Congress on Wednesday, castigating critics of Israel’s war in Gaza as either motivated by Iran or antisemitism. The Israeli leader boasted about Israeli efforts to limit civilian casualties and allow humanitarian aid into the Palestinian enclave, a view that contradicts with the United Nations and international aid groups. While dozens of liberal Democrats boycotted the remarks, Republicans offered boisterous applause and many Democratic leaders clapped and stood up during various moments of the speech. 

I think he's the fall guy. The genocide will be normalised and he'll take the fall as the one who went too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭political analyst

Netanyahu was proved right about that the US and other Western countries did with Iran when Obama was president because, after that deal was done, Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe was arrested and tried and convicted on bogus charges because the Revolutionary Guards felt emboldened enough to imprison her so that they could use her as leverage to force the UK to pay back the money owed for tanks the delivery of which was cancelled in 1979 because of the overthrowing of the Shah.

• Advertisement

Is this conjecture on your part or a statement of fact. I ask because if we believe some western press outlets no dual citizens or westerners ever arrested for spying in Iran are actually spies, instead they are all political pawns. While I believe that is possible in some cases- perhaps even in the case you mention. Is this really plausible in every case Political Analyst?

I mean are we going to deny that spies operate in allied countries never mind those of foes. With this in mind we know the FBI have been kept very busy over the years with Mossad activity in America. It just might be possible then that some foreigners arrested by Iranian intelligence for spying are actually spies .

Advertisement