Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Is it not because the minors are as young as 15/16 since the move to U17s and it might be too much pressure for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭GBXI

They are also well capable of losing them - which is my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

It's unlikely we will see a return to minor pre all Ireland days. I used to thoroughly enjoy it on Irish before the main game via RTE. You'd be half shocked at the empty stadium at 1.15 but then it will be filling up nicely come 2.30 and you'd be getting excited for the main game. A shame it's gone. I feel all Ireland day has been lost in recent times, the offaly team of 1998 were barley acknowledged in 2023, a shame. Feel like we could market it much more with irish culture and give it a real occasion. I'm all on for the split season but I'd love the finals to be pushed back to August at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm talking about all of 2024 and not just the semi-final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭kala85

Was there any plans announced for the pre match event this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,169 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Some here thought I had lost the plot when I said for me the dark horse in this championship was Armagh and they are still there. I was at the Galway Donegal game and while it is difficult to know if Walsh and Comer were not fully fit or if it was down to Ban Gallagher or McCole, but if Galway do not get much more from them against Armagh than one point from play, then I would see it being difficult for Galway to win.

Donegal`s problems came from them having nobody to compete with Tierney who Glesson pinged with a lot of his kick outs and in the second half from Galway`s half back line. After Sunday Armagh are now well warned on that half back line and I don`t see them letting them run the way Donegal did.

Normally with Galway being in the final two years ago I would give them an advantage with nerves early on, but this Armagh team will be fired to high heaven and will have a large number of supporters making a lot of noise which they thrive on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yeah it wouldn't take much, five minutes or so, to actually show the jubilee presentation during the live broadcast. Far more interesting than some of the slow-mo promos they are fond of at the start of every segment. Or feckin Marty talking to randomers on Jones Road.

As an aside, should Armagh prevail, McGeeney will enter an exclusive club of people who won the All-Ireland as a captain and a manager, having also won POTY in his career. To date, only Kevin Heffernan and Billy Morgan have done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭King Power Fox

Was really impressed with Donegal for 60 minutes last weekend. Galway coming out on top and getting stronger in the last 10 minutes I think gives them the edge for the final. Armagh hung in there v Kerry and took their chances when it came. Sign of a team that does not panic. Overall I think Galway by 4 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Other sports more tuned into PR/Marketing would make a big thing of the jubilee team. There would be programmes in the week leading up to it, interviews etc. A big do, loads of build up.

Yet the GAA just have lads out on the pitch raising their hand to a less than half interested crowd (unless one of the teams happens to be playing the day, there might be more of a cheer then)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Likewise for Padraic Joyce. Winning as Player/ Manager. Don't know if he was ever POTY though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭littlevillage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Maybe it was on the thread already? Sean Hurson from Tyrone is the ref for the final.

https://www.gaa.ie/article/sean-hurson-to-referee-all-ireland-sfc-final-x2914

He's a decent ref but he is from tyrone.....

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Even as a complete GAA fanatic & Yank I don't see any value in NY being in the comp. Rather see more money/energy & maybe collaboration between the highest levels here & the GAA. Been playing/coaching 20 yrs & the improvement from a decade ago is huge. It was a low bar to be sure but if the level of progress continues or accelerates it won't be long before hurling is being played at much higher levels here. An only improve the game. We have nearly 350 million citizens so large pool to pull from if we can market the game correctly and NY/London is not the answer

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Rosita

To be honest you can't be all for the split season while also wanting All Ireland finals later in the year. They are mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Yes Handball finals used to be the night before the Hurling final, I think Senior Doubles was night before football and Senior singles the night before Hurling. Often you'd have the same counites in both, like lads from Tipp or Kilkenny playing the handball, and then same county in hurling final the next day; would be a great atmosphere in Croke Park old glass courts for these games.

Mick Dunne in RTE was a great champion of the handball and put together the Top Ace competition, but its a long time since I've seen a live game on RTE, wouldnt say its happened for 30 years or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

As usual TG4 show highlights in their GAA shows, but not many live games AFAIK. Handball is very much a minority sport, I don't know of it's a good sport that televises well, and to get coverage of it it would have to be forced onto broadcasters as part of an overall package, as say women's rugby is.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be as they say - while we all have memories of finals and routines with parents and grandparents, time moves on, harking back to old days does nobody any good. Kids of today will make their own memories, IF the split season is a success then the rythems of the year will evolve and change and they will become the norm.

There are many media companies and commentators pushing this agenda of 'split season bad ' I believe for 2 reasons - to extend the county season from 5 months to 9 months (9 months work instead of 5) and it's hard work having to move about the country to cover games with the same old fogies covering every game.

Let them get up off their holes, give some young lads and ladies the chance to cover the games, and have a short, sharp, intense championship of that's what works. We're still trying to cover every game with ej same tired Sunday Game format, with 3 ex players spoofing about what should have been done earlier instead of innovating and giving better, more streamlined games. It's the GAAs own fault, they tried to ride two horses bringing RTE into the GAAGO tent instead of going alone and designing a custom service for them and their members.

We gotta move on - '' The thing about the old days, they the old days" as Slim Charles once said.

I think it's not realistic to push it back to the first two weekends in August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Rosita

Only problem with the "old days" thing is that it limits thinking quite a bit if things are disregarded just because they were done years ago. Maybe not all old ideas are bad.

That said, Leagues should be shortened and All Irelands played in late June before major holiday season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭PressRun

GAA PR is woeful. Hardly any excitement around the finals in either code. If you weren't clued into GAA, you probably wouldn't even know they were coming up. Where are the interviews with players? Where is the advertising? Inaccessibility of players is a big part of it. Teams will barely do press or they'll only do the very bare minimum, and if they do anything beyond that, they're hammered for it. The organisation as a whole, and many of the prominent figures within it, have a terrible relationship all round with media, which in turn has a negative affect on promotion of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Well Imv the league finals should be done away with, the winner of each division should be the one with the most points/score difference, these days I think the finals only get in the way and are more a disadvantage to those looking at a higher prize

Will the GAA insist on a change of colour next week. Why did armagh wear black last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭dobman88

The last few times they played Kerry, they wore black. I assumed it was a toss of a coin for home and away jerseys but according to McGeeney, its a combination of marketing reasons and 2 of his players being colourblind

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/kieran-mcgeeney-armagh-jersey-604878

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

On the jerseys...

There is obviously a marketing thing going on (black shirts would look better up the town with a pair of jeans than an orange one for instance) but the colour blindness thing is interesting.

I heard a guy on the radio before a recent ireland Wales rugby game. He quoted numbers, more men than women suffer it, and variations of red and green are the most common colours to cause problems. He was saying even if one team wore dark shorts and the other white it would help. He was talking about spectators mind, and tv in PARTICULAR - I have no idea what impact it has on players. It wasn't something I would have been aware of TBH.

Agree on the PR for the GAA though, is it still yer man Milton that's in charge of it? It is woefully bad alright, compare it to other sports, especially rugby, and it's shocking-every week every sport bulletin has team news of squads for forthcoming (whatever it's called nowadays Celtic?) League games at the weekend, squads of like 40 players named. You have to really actively search for details of times and tv coverage of GAA championship games, let alone results and score updates. Shockingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭henke

Also, for the money the GAA generate their website is shambolic and difficult to get fixtures and they are presented poorly with awful filters. Their whole digital platform needs modernisation with a focus on usability and what people want. I don't want endless scrolling and filtering to find what football fixtures or on any given weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

As Michael Duignan would say, that was one of the best points you're likely to ever see.

Out of the country ATM. What's the atmosphere in the competing counties like? Flags everywhere I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Robson99

Don't see why Galway would have to change...and the black and maroon will be too close in colour so I would expect armagh be made wear orange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭threeball

That Milton lad is stealing a living. A witness protection scheme would have more PR going on. Not to mention his inability to navigate bad PR. He has to be related to someone as he's certainly not being kept for his acumen.

Advertisement