Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common sense for once? Straw incorporation to be suspended for this year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,611 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

And similarly, one could say that maybe these tillage lads who can't sow or harvest without being bailed with additional payments etc. should also be let go to the wall??? Once you start going down that line of thinking, you are only setting one group against the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

I think the term your looking for is learned helplessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Siobhan Walsh on the IFJ podcast bemoaning the proposed suspension of the straw scheme, as to do so 'would distort the market'. I thought it was brought in to distort the market!

And of course, she blames the livestock sector for all the problems of tillage growers.

Between her rants and the delusions of that Charolais breeder masquerading as a beef journalist, you'd have to laugh at the self-serving bullshyte coming off the IFJ pages these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

You make it sound like half of Connemara and west Kerry was ploughed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I suppose all the lads that are quick to say this is good news will stock up on all the oaten straw that will be available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭grass10

I am looking at dairy men and beef men that sat oats in very moderate ground in late May with basically no realistic hope of harvesting oats or bailing straw this would never have happened if the govt stopped interfering in day to day farming

What would be a fair price, in your opinion, at which they give the option to the farmer to either take the 100 per acre to chop, or take X and be allowed to sell the straw?

I often wondered whether there were many lads claiming for the chopping and selling it as well! Especially with the speed that things can be turned around these days. There is a fella with 100+ acre outfarm block beside us here. In two big fields. You could look across the hedge one day to see a standing crop and look across the next evening to see the last of the 8x4's getting loaded onto a lorry! (I'm sure if it was done, it was wasn't widespread)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭manjou

The rights or wrongs of a scheme like this could be debated for ages. But the fact it was pulled so fast is worrying for all as how can anyone plan anything if minister could decide at a moments notice to cancel something like tams etc. Only thing I can think of is was going to cost someone alot of money who uses alot of straw and the high cost of it would cost them dear and it was no ordinary everyday farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Danny healy ray

i remember the insulation aid for young farmers taking over the farm was cancelled real fast without any mention of it I'm sure there is more that we're cancelled the same way down the years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Dairy farmer I presume you mean.

And truth be told it's the old "backward" farmer that would use more straw than the modern cubicle dairy farmer. And the old backward straw bedding farmer has zero representation with the minister but tillage farmers have this hard on for dairy farmers that it's them to be blamed for all their ills and all their lost money.

The trouble with this is when a tillage farmer goes on about a dairy farmer then they've lost another dairy farmer ally who could have bought their cereal direct but now deals instead with the merchant instead of direct. So the more tillage farmer curse those damned dairy farmers the more the merchant laughs his hole off and wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

It's bad when Jack is the sensible one in the middle....

They pulled the straw chopping scheme because teagasc told them to. It's as simple as that. Teagasc can do or say no wrong in their eyes, they are the best brains in the industry. 🤣🤣

Just like cow banding, teagasc's half assed job was accepted as perfect and enacted without listening to any sense from anyone else. Tweaked it then the following year. They're all a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

No problem stocking up with often straw, have being using it for over 20 years under sucklers and sheep and as good as any, some years we get it chopped.

I don't know about that, Dept don't answer to anyone. Listen to the mood music - ICMSA came out this week with an Armageddon fodder survey, so did Tirlan. That followed on from a more moderate position reported by Teagasc a few weeks back, who if anything under-reported the feed deficit nationally. ICOS have said that they have no intention of importing emergency fodder next year because they go badly burned in 2018. ICSA are calling for a fodder production measure and IFJ have carried plenty of tales of woe about fodder too. I'd say it has all added up to the SIM getting a year off, because the last thing Charlie Mac wants is hungry stock in the middle of an election campaign next spring.

The solution will be a partial incentive payment to tillage growers in a fudge that will allow them sell their bales. Isn't that what they want (and some do already) anyway?

They should just take the money they were going to pay out on it, but then divide it back out among all the tillage farmers as if all had signed up for the scheme originally. Pay X per acre (capped at the 100 acres) to every farmer for straw producing crops.

Then the individual farmers can decide whether to sell or chop themselves. But they get the money regardless.

That would be ideal for the year that's in it, but the big problem for the Minister is that the EU Commission will seek verification as regards the purpose of the payment.

The Dept can't just give out EU funds like sweets without making farmers do something for it. Look at the hoops lads are put through for ACRES, SCEP, KT groups etc- that's all to satisfy the Commission that the EU are getting value for money on the ground. Answers on a postcard as to what Charlie can say the cash is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

The scheme total allocation is only €12m. Max claimable for those who go into it is €7,000. There's close on 10,000 tillage farmers in the country.

Chambers calculator will be maxed out with you.

My Contact in teagasc told me ages ago that they had told the department to scrap the straw chopping. Made no sense to teagasc.

Max was 10k no? 100 acres at 100 per acre?

This article would leave the average per acre payment at about 18.50 Euro per acre if the 12m was spread across every acre.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/arid-41434540.html

But that is the worst case scenario on a per-acre basis. The total number of eligible acres would likely be a good bit less because only each farmer's first 100 acres would be counted. Which means the per-acre basis (up to the 100 acres) will be higher than the 18.50

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Max was 10k no? 100 acres at 100 per acre?

You could very well be right..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Of course not, the Teagasc tillage dept wouldn't exactly be ahead of the curve when it comes to anything like soil health or no-till.

For a lot of the genuinely affected people in the west of Ireland straw availability shouldn't be any sort of an issue regardless. The country is covered in rushes after the year we have, close off a field and bale it up.

Spread the dung out in a rushy field or export it to a tillage man who's low inorganic matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Tbh my kind of language is any farmer producing commidities in Western Europe now is an idiot bar maybe dairy but their efficiencies are being eroded for bogus enviro concerns. Feed grains make no money other than feed wheat into pregnant sow rations which is hard to do with mycotoxins.

Last year beans got 230odd per acre and straw chopping and oil seeds were worth 100 per acre up to a cap, ones to give a couple of % towards weaning lads off the americas and the other to drive soil health. There is a pilot scheme for cover crops covering the costs of seeds or something for winter cover run by a chap out of Johnstown castle. Pretending beef and scheep are brave little soliders operating without suckler cow schemes, enviro schemes for commonages and the like, it's disingenuous tbh.

And Donald, as per post 5 the idea of putting fym or slurry back on tillage land from unknown sources is like buying random flying herd type cows without a test or herd health status and hoping you don't buy in Tb/Johnes etc. Rye grasses and canary grass are a bitch you don't need never mind Bg or Rats tail fescue. I guess the adage is true you cant argue with stupid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

HEre we are fighting away amongst ourselves like pure ejits when the bottom line is this problem was created by pen pushers and greenies who live in dreamworld s where theory can work brilliantly but those that live and work in this industry know that what works on paper doesn't always work in practice.alot of the livestock in irrland arr based on poorer land and the tillage is based on the better land so while the idea of livestock farming and tillage co habitating closely and cross pollinating if you like is great the reality in ireland the farms that suit tillage and the farms that have the livestock are sometimes 100 miles apart.so that's why straw has to move to livestock areas but the manure will nit return.they ve got to stop implementing policies that won't work and using farmers living s and lives as guinea-pig s

TBH, it's very difficult to know what your position or argument is as your posts are not coherent and seem to be just giving out about other issues and other people. Are you against farming generally?

Are you against the measure being suspended? Are you against the idea of the tillage men being given the money anyway without chopping (which was suggested), or are you just seeing an opportunity to be giving out about beef and sheep farmers getting any subsidies or schemes?

And the post you are referring to doesn't include the word "unknown". You added that yourself.

I have no problem with different schemes in general. An one sector feeds into another sector generally. The SIM artificially exacerbates a shortage already there this year and so it makes no sense. If all schemes and payments were eliminated tomorrow - taking a narrow shortsighted view - we could assume that we would probably be better off here. Our BISS is less than one third what goes out on land rental. Other schemes tend to wash out with minimal net advantage. But it would be a shortsighted view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭older by the day

Most on here would be livestock farming of some sort. And any fellow with calfs need straw (rushes are only a very poor substitute, comfort wise and drainage wise).

I paid 35 euros a bale here in real west cork and all my supplier could source was 10 bales last year. He said his usual tillage man had chopped the whole lot, and didn't give two fuuucks about him or the rest of the transporters.

For once I think this is a good thing by the minister. They are encouraging organics and straw bedding. They are encouraging to keep calves for longer. People need to be able to purchase straw

Incorrect, have you ever saved and used your own bedding?

In fact bedding from a coarse meadow, or rushes and grass et al, is far superior to straw.

Every calf buyer that comes into the yard here rearks on the quality and comfort of the bedding, plus ones not inclined to spare it if it's plentiful and cheap.

There's very little need for trucking straw around the country..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Rushes have feck all soakage. The majority of rush covered fields are just about suitable to bring a topper into. Getting into these fields again to spread fym in the spring or backend is very difficult due to trafficability and there are feck all tillage men around the west to export fym to.

Straw is king. And it always made sense until suddenly it was dearer than hay.

Have you ever saved and used your own bedding?

Top tip, it's not to be confused with gathering cow dung covered toppings!

Anyone with brain would know that there has to be a nice bit of grass and other vegetation through the rushes, a coarse meadow as I described. Also it has much better soakage than straw

There's plenty rushy fields around that aren't rock and bog.

Sending the dung to tillage man was a joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

If there's a good bit of grass through it it makes good bedding. However if the field is grazed and it's just rushes in the bales they're useless as bedding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭older by the day

I have been cutting, piking, making reakes of rushes for over forty years. I think you are thinking of hay, if there is a lot of grass in it.

Even if you compare good hay against straw for bedding, it's a very poor second. I could supply rushes to a parish, but I still buy straw for my calves. I must be a pure fool

Advertisement