Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I believe governments of the past would of had a referendum on the current crisis and People would vote no. We had a referendum 20 odd years ago in relation to immigrants. Sometime to do with citizenship I can't remember. All I know is we overwhelmly voted no.

They know this and that'll never let us decide.

I can't for the life of me get my head around this. Why won't the citizens be consulted. Why can't we chose if we want this increase or go the Danish route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

This is also worrying. Wtf are they at.

If its corporate tax or investment be damned. Fook it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,616 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Because the TDs are keeping the NGO gravy train onside so when they lose their seats they have a cushy plan B. The masses are just collateral damage.

Ivana Bacik and Hazel Chu made sure this problem didn't blight their communities in an instant.

I'd say Mary Lou is kicking herself. Screwed up 2020 election and now screwed up SFs best chance to be the main govt party.

That Polish woman who tore Von Der Leyen apart the other day is my new hero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I read a theory that it's to do with our massive national debt. The higher the population the less debt per person we have and the easier it would be to pay off. Since there's declining birth rates they need a huge influx of new people and fast. Why do you think they made sure Ukrainians wanted to leave other EU countries for here.

Another related theory is that the EU want us to help out as we owe them for the bail out. Even though we bailed out way more then we should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Just to remind everyone that this poster believes the following:

That anyone in the world should be allowed to show up to any airport or ferry port in the world, say they are travelling to Ireland to claim asylum, and then be permitted to board the plane/ferry to Ireland without a passport.

Such idiotic beliefs should be acknowledged for what they are.

Ref post #25881.

• Advertisement

I think i posted my own theory on that too😁

Great so debt per capita. Balance books. Even if said crowd dont work at all.

Genius. They really are total Geniuses. 🤣

Long live capitalism. So certain cohorts of society can capitalise. Ingenious I tells ya.

Looking at the proposed sites for asylum seekers, none seem to be in areas where govt ministers are from as far as I can see.

Strange that.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Thats grand while they have the upper hand of numbers. Fifty or so like-minded local heavies armed with golf clubs invite them to have a go, and then what?

I'm surprised at this viewpoint. Perhaps an overhang from the water protests which many people condemned the thuggery. However, this time round you can bet your bottom dollar/euro/pound that the very-squeezed middle-classes are chuffed with the 'working class' who are doing the 'dirty' work of publicly taking a stand on the immigration issue. Ask most €30k to €70k earners [off the record] and you might be very surprised with the response.

Great bunch. Looking out for the common plebs. Oh wait. Why do people vote for these ****? The same **** come on rte and state its good for the local community. Yours?!!

• Advertisement

Timing is everything. Dept of integration held a "meeting" in April 6 weeks before the local and European elections. It went quiet.

Elections came and went. FF and FG did well. All of a sudden the crown paints site gets rushed through. Will govt keep trying this in run up to the GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

The way that policies are enforced by the governments are very heavy-handed, ROG said "the site in Coolock where protests have been held in recent days will be used to house International Protection applicants" he's determined to go ahead, he can't really back down now, it will set a precedent if he does. Unless the place is completely uninhabitable.

That Polish woman who tore Von Der Leyen apart the other day is my new hero

Watched that because it was shared to me via WhatsApp. Of course it got shared forward straight after watching to dozens of contacts. Ewa Zajaczkowska-Hernik has some appeal, she'll do well. One to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭sekiro

If you take culture or identity out of the equation there is still a massive issue with sustainability.

You can't just inflate the population of an area and then hope that it'll all be fine.

If we were all just seen as units then it still wouldn't make any sense to just drop 500 units in a place where there is no room for them. If my coffee mug holds 500ml then I don't try to pour 750ml or 600ml or even 510ml into it.

I can totally get that out there is some racist person who simply hates people of other races or any kind of outsider and we do not want to be seen as supporting that kind of person.

Common sense has to take over eventually though. It's simply not sustainable to bring in thousands of unemployed blokes, give them a tent, and then let them fend for themselves.

How could anyone not think that this is going to cause massive problems in the future?

What worries me is that people are SO committed and invested in this course of action now that it's going to be very, very, hard for them to admit that they were wrong on this. So we're going to have people who are invested in covering up and hiding cases where things go badly wrong because they don't want to admit it.

If we keep going like this it's going to be an absolute disaster.

Forgot to add, at that time [of the water protests] the state was increasing taxes left right and centre (USC, VAT went up, Carbon Taxes ramped up, etc…) while the bulk of unemployment-related social welfare payments were left untouched. This felt rather unfair to those in employment who saw their wages decrease in real terms. Hence the middle-class condemnation of 'thuggery'.

This time round, it is largely the same demographic protesting in places such as Coolock over migration. However, unlike the water tax, the migration issue doesn't just stop at one bill/invoice. It eats into the cost of local services, it inflates rental prices, property prices, increases demand on healthcare and education. It hurts the middle-classes even more than the working classes.

This is by far too under-stated. In the quiet one-on-one conversations the middle-class are rooting for the working classes here in forcing the hand of the state to back down on their migration policy.

Deleted

This is going on for five days and five nights now - I think the only outcome is summed up in your last sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭giseva

The entire bunch are like contestants on The Apprentice, really bad ones at that. Poor decision after poor decision and complete contempt for the public they're supposed to serve.

On top of that, they have paid advisors....who are either useless at their jobs, or who the ministers just ignore.

They really are an out of control bunch. Not one government minister would I put in charge of opening and closing a gate never mind running a country.

Add to the mix, an utterly incompetent and delusional justice minister, and a head of AGS, an organization that voted overwhelmingly no confidence in him, and it's a perfect storm. How those two are still in a job is a great mystery.

"Policing by consent" was once the tagline. A better one, even if it is a bit of a mouthful, could be....."Policing by consent, unless you're protesting against anything relating to poor government decisions and their distain for communities, where, in that case, say hello to Sgt. Pepper Spray and Inspector Baton."

I wonder if they'll release a new video similar to the dancing during COVID.

This time they could use the riot squad for some perfectly choreographed beatings!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Repro212

Had SF seized the day and came out pushing for a referendum on this madness and implementation of the Danish model, they'd have gone up in everyone's estimation but cosying up to Islam seems more their thing.

Deleted

• Advertisement

The pushback against anything that lad decides or implements or introduces the better. Mad as a bag of badger's. At least Ryan had only sowing lettece plants and took the odd work nap.

I noticed very similar clothing material worn by one of the 'lads' tearing down the Irish Waterway's fencing as Mary-Lou McDonald had worn recently.

Kudos to SF, they're well in with the re-use/recycling thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭dublin49

One thing posters on here need to bear in mind is not every situation evolves from malevolent intent.We all knew we had a direct provision centre somewhere up by the airport but it didnt really impact our lives so we left it to Government to sort as best they deemed necessary.

The Government unfortunately had as much interest in resolving this issue as the the rest of us so it was long fingered.

So post Covid when immigration really kicked off the powers that be were in a low energy mode when it came to immigration so anomalies escalated ,no deportations,folks from 2nd countries.safe countries etc.sure it will be alright on the night attitude.

Allied to this low energy/nothing works mentality was a an upsurge in the Woke agenda.

"Ireland welcomes all "and "the people of East Wall/Sandwich St etc don't represent us" cry went out ,and was generally unchallenged.

In work ,in sport ,in life ,when things go wrong ,I find most folk like to look for a culprit rather than a reason.

My view is ,the people of Newtown Mount Kennedy,Coolock,East Wall et al are good people with a few nut cases attached.

I genuinely believe that the Government are not involved in any Great replacement conspiracy and their bona fides were well meaning all along albeit they failed to spot when their good intentions were being taking advantage of.

but,

they now know we are being taking advantage of ,we cannot sustain the level of support being offered and we need to say sorry but our focus is now on the people of our country and we have done more than enough for Ukraine and elsewhere but for the social cohesion of this country we are closed for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭newhouse87

I informed the poster directly. That particular poster has been banned twice yet still persist posting so should be called out as she would do quite quickly to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭giseva

It's a big money maker so I've no doubt it will continue, regardless of the impact large numbers of male migrants (we all want to know where the women and children are) will, and already are having on towns and villages across the country.

There are good and bad in all walks of life but only a fool would believe that 100% of these men are saints, fleeing persecution and pose no threat now or in the future.

We have laws in this country that some people born and bred here don't adhere to. But let's take in tens of thousands of "asylum seekers" who couldn't give a flying f@#k about our laws, our culture, our attitudes towards women and girls and a host of other issues. That'll work.

I've seen the videos, I've heard the stories.

Even if a migrant is on his best behavior in their planted location, and never steps out of line, it's a natural instinct for a parent to be fearful for their child's safety when large groups of men they know nothing about and share nothing in common with, are forced on them, they're just told to deal with it. That alone is an awful thing to inflict on communities. And, unfortunately, but not surprisingly, bad things have already happened.

And God forbid, when we do start seeing crime rates rise as has happened in many EU countries and the increase in sexual assaults or worse, best believe, it won't be a migrant issue, it will be a man issue. Do better, men!

And God forbid, when we do start seeing crime rates rise as has happened in many EU countries and the increase in sexual assaults or worse, best believe, it won't be a migrant issue, it will be a man issue. Do better, men!

Spot on, I watched the recent ITV documentary from Cardiff/Nottingham regarding this. See: https://www.itv.com/news/2024-07-17/approached-by-20-men-in-two-hours-the-reality-of-being-a-woman-alone-at-night

One thing that struck me was when the documentary finally turned to presenting it's findings to the newly elected Labour Party representative her knee-jerk response to it was that "we need to educate men".

This despite the fact that 19 out of the 20 men were not of a White-British background. Even the lone-White British bloke was 'concerned' for her safety while being excessively drunk-pushy.

Sums alot up really. Video relating to the article here: https://x.com/itvnews/status/1813887551523951008

• Registered Users Posts: 18,630 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We don't know what the local community's wishes are. Fringe protest groups such as 'Coolock Says No' waving Irish tricolours - presumably what could best be described as "right wing Irish nationalists" - speak only for themselves. This idea that they are the entire community is a bit of a nonsense,

Biggest crowd all week turned up tonight. Five days in.

Bigly as DJT would say.

But keep on doubling down on reality.

Rubber always hits the road, eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

If the government don't smell the coffee and keep going with this crazy campaign, its going to keep getting worse for them. They still have the option to back down from this with a bit of dignity.

Ireland is full and when Coolock says no, Its a pretty clear message to me. Couldn't be any clearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

ff and fg will walk back into government at next election.all the bitchin in the world on here ain’t going to change this madness of a policy.sad times ahead

Advertisement