Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Seadin

Or if Clare turn up like the 2002 final, Jimmy Barry Murphy might tog out himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

Of course that was the end of the great clare 90s team. Shefflin DJ and Martin comeford tore clare apar.

Any team would have beaten Clare that day they were lethargic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭threeball

I said they haven't put 70 together this year. But Cork haven't been lights out in every game either.

• Advertisement

Limerick beat Clare rather easily in their two games this year. I think if Clare are to beat Cork, Cork will not have performed to the heights of the Limerick games. If Cork are better than the Limerick games, then Clare will find it hard to win. There is pressure on Clare just as much as Cork, Lohan trying to win his first All Ireland as a manager is also pressure just as much as Cork trying to bridge a 19 year gap to win an All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,163 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

So let me get this straight. Your saying cork invented the illegal pass in hurling.

Go on I want hear this.

Did we invent no square ball also? Haha

Wacky theories? I'm not making up **** all. Haha. Listen to yourself. Your comical.

Anyway I'm sure he is a big boy and can answer his own questions. He doesn't need a conspiracy theory spokesperson like yourself.

Prove its true? well we had perfect good goal against Limerick ruled out of it for start. If you watched the game ya might understand.

If You can't come back with a answer don't bother replying because your conspiracy theories don't interest me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭High bike

Wow I obviously hit a nerve ,but as the say the truth hurts lol.I don't have to prove anything to you or any other keyboard warrior on here,I know what I've been looking at for 20 odd yrs.If you take off the red and white blinkers and stop listening to Donal Og's bs about pace,speed and athleticism and Cork are so quick us mere mortals can't see the handpass.Go and have a look at Connollys goal against Tipp ,the one where Luke Meade and himself threw the ball to eachother twice in case your confused.As far as being gutless is concerned if you want an example of that have a look at your no 10 ,very apt that he wears a yellow helmet don't u think.

So you just made it up.

Fair enough we move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭Rosita

I never said Cork invented anything. Best to read my posts before replying. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Certainly it is true to say that they became associated with a handpass-reliant game in the 2000s, of which the illegal pass is an inevitable consequence. Now that Cork team always liked to bend the rules/norms such as they did with sliotars, unable to rely exclusively on ability it seems. So I wouldn't rule it out but I'm not saying it either.

Now to let you get this straight.......you asked for someone to "prove" a claim that Cork invented this style of play.

I have asked you to prove otherwise i.e. give us chapter and verse on an earlier inter-county team on which that Cork team based its approach.

• Advertisement

Its not how it works. The initial poster said cork "invented " it (there for everyone to read). You replied to my post not other way around.

Unless of course you mixed me up otherwise you really are just back tracking and after your now third attempt still cant back up your theories.

Now In fairness the initial poster could not back up his own theory but least he replied back.

At end of day if ya cant back up what ya say so best move on. Ya had 3 attempts in fairness.

People want talk about a cracking weekend of hurling and not listen to your conspiracy theories.

We move on before it gets more embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mistermiyagi

You really would want to dry your eyes mate. Honestly, let it go.

That just about sums up why 31 counties will be shouting f9r Clare tomorrow,and I'm not your mate .No doubt u and your mates will br on the hill tomorrow booing the freetakers and burning flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Who invented throwball, Limerick or Cork? There was a pair of ye in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

ChatGPT says this...

"The "Throwball" in hurling was invented by Johnny McGrath, a notable hurler from County Kilkenny, Ireland. McGrath developed this technique to enhance the speed and accuracy of the ball when delivering it to teammates, which has since become a recognized skill in the sport."

CoPilot said this:-

"The term "Throwball" in hurling doesn't refer to a specific invention or individual. Hurling is an ancient Gaelic sport with a rich history dating back over 3,000 years¹. The game has evolved over centuries, incorporating various rules and techniques, but there isn't a specific "Throwball" technique attributed to any one person.

If you have any more questions about hurling or its history, feel free to ask!

ChatDUP said this..

Never, never, never is it appropriate to broadcast the All Ireland hurling final on British television. Never, never, never should we allow this event, significant within Ireland but holding no relevance to the British public, to be aired on our screens. Never, never, never can we afford to mix our own sporting traditions with those of another nation, for this event is a celebration of Irish culture and heritage. Broadcasting it on British television does not serve the interests or traditions of the British people. Never, never, never should we blur the lines between our own national identity and that of another.

Furthermore, let us not forget, never, never, never that the British sporting calendar is already rich and varied, resonating deeply with our own history and cultural identity. Never, never, never is there a need to incorporate an event that does not align with our traditions or public interest. The All Ireland hurling final should remain an occasion for the Irish to celebrate among themselves, preserving the integrity and exclusivity of their national sports. Never, never, never should we allow such an event to overshadow our own national sporting pride. Let us focus on what is truly ours, and leave the Irish to enjoy their cherished traditions within their own borders, never, never, never compromising our own identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Hoping for clare win as think cork will win few anyway next few years. Met lohan in ennis recently on stag, we were surprised how sound a fella he was especially to bunch drunk tipp lads so he gets my vote.

Great post

But I could not read without putting on a Ian Paisley accent. Never!! 😉

Its some contrast how cork hurling gets a following as opposed to their footballers. I love their support cast but football must be like a minnow down there. I think cork will win tomorrow. However rain might suit clare. We are expecting a classic but who knows it could be scrappy affair like 1999. We have been starved of decent finals since 2014, limerick kilkenny 2022 springs to mind followed by limerick galway in 18 as half decent finals. Rest were poor enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No fans and December didn't help but 2020 was the most boring final I can remember. We just picked away at Waterford without there being a single highlight moment. Even the years one team ripped another apart are interesting in a way like 19 or 21.

2017 is one of my favourites both the game itself and the fact it was the most neutral final pairing possible for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭blackcard

Google Johnny McGrath kilkenny hurler. You won't come up with any Kilkenny hurler, never mind a notable one.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

It'll be interesting to see how Murphy will ref this one as there are ways in which each team could be hurt by a referee

• Cork's quick puck outs, will they be allowed get them away as fast as they were in the semi final? What if they can't?
    • Clare full back line's off the ball fouling; how much pulling and dragging and arms over shoulders to prevent jumps will Cleary get away with?
    • Will Murphy continue to award Hogan's trademark pull jersey, sprint to ball, collect ball, duck under hurl, throw arms in the air, win free, fist pump routine ?
    • Will Murphy try to clamp down on steps early on? Surely Horgan, Fitzgibbon and Fitzgerald will be under the microscope then
    • Will Murphy suddenly get the measuring tape out and enforce regulations on bas sizes? Imagine half the Cork team with no hurls to use minutes before an All-Ireland final
    • No point in discussing throwing

In all seriousness, with the way the game has gone and the way the public assesses a referees performance these days, the easiest thing for the referee to do in an All-Ireland final is to avoid making any big calls by letting it flow as much as possible. Yes, they may get their wrists slapped from assessors later but a referee doesn't want the final to be remembered mainly for a decision they made or for being so fussy that they are accused of ruining the game. So I think we will a bit of a free for all tomorrow especially when you consider Murphy's last outing

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Would love to see a ref finally call O'Donnell on all his charging and diving but I doubt the final is the place it's gonna happen.

Will the ref fall for Adam hogan and his drama tomrrow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Is there a match fore the Senior final tomorrow?

I thought there was a minor final, but apparently not

I'll tell you how it works - you "prove" (beyond any reasonable doubt that Cork did not invent and perfect the cheating handpass) and I'll just sit in and use appeal-to-the-crowd stuff to contradict you peppering my replies with "everyone knows" and "nobody believes". That's actually how it works. You probably shouldn't have looked for someone to "prove" an opinion, but here's s where we are now anyway.

So away you go with your "proof". We can get to the dodgy sliotars in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Minor final was played weeks ago down in Nowlan Park.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Shouldn't be an issue now that 'hard man' Cody isn't around squaring up to him. Quite funny to be fair.

• Advertisement

Nothing is guaranteed. Cork might win nothing for another decade if they lose tomorrow.

Advertisement