Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I don't think that the senior backroom is stale, I just think they're a very poorly coached and we need better coaches in there. I don't expect that to happen, I think there won't be a change in the senior set up but I think we are badly crying out for better coaches in there. I agree 100% about the minor management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Village87

No i don't think it was the minor that lost to Clare. That was 2022. It would be next years team

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Marrooned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭kk.man

I'd like Lynn to stay but county board should go.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Any suggestions for watching KK club games here in the states. It was simple during COVID but other than big games on GAAGO but I like to see any club(junior, intermediate, senior) matches and I haven't been able to find a good place to watch televised club matches. At least the Camogie Association puts a lot on YouTube. Also like the Fitzgibbon cup but have never found any other than matches uploaded to YouTube.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭kentu

ClubberTv should be showing a few matches each weekend when it kicks off in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

If you can't see how an argument can be made to keep the same management in place based on what I've wrote there then I don't know what to say to you. I don't agree with that argument myself but I can see how the CB could justify it.

In reply to Villages last post:

That's what I mean. People are saying it's a talented U20 team next year. They lost to Laois at U17. By my count 10 of the starting 15 against Offaly U20 this year are overage

Holland, Corcoran, Hughes, Langton, Hackett, Walsh, Shine, Dunne, Shortall, Queally. Ted Dunne came off the bench and he's overage and I'm 90% sure Sean Moore that came on is overage as well

Who are these better coaches in Kilkenny? I'm not sure we do have them and we won't go outside the county. Rice and Donovan are decent in my experience. Can't say I know anything about Barry or Phelan.

Names are being thrown out that I can't say I know anything about to be fair. Does Tom Mulally coach or is he a manager?

Eddie Brennan had Niall Corcoran doing his coaching

Henry had Richie O Neill

the U19s didn’t look too bad this year with Sean Hunt leader the charge. That was kinda an U20s B team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 neverbet

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Box to box

Usually kk don't go outside the county for coaches or help but I think we could do worse than get someone from the outside or a different sport to help out in the backround,of course this won't happen because we won't spend money. We arent blessed with with great coaches but that golden team we had a few of them have done OK. Brian hogan is a very shrewd operator and is doing excellent job. Eddie brennan is well regarded. Herity was well got in cuala. Brian dowling has done well. Richie power was unlucky last year with injuries but done well the previous year,shelminers are all about him now. Would Tommy or Richie hogan be interested in a roll with the underage?Tommy is with tullaron this year. Tom and paddy mullally done as well as they could with limited numbers. Derek is a county boards man. He won't rock the boat that's why alot of the names above are non runners. If you ever heard him talking you would think its Brian Cody. He won't be under any pressure to step down from the dinosaurs inside in the county board. They won't dream of getting someone who they would have to pay or think outside the box.There was talk of Martin fogarty the last time and that could easily happen knowing our county board. Gortha and James mcgarry as selectors.Thats what we are dealing with at county board.

We will all know in a few weeks if he is going or not so it's probably unfair to be resigning him. He is after having a tough few weeks. We have a lot of problems across all levels. Between minor,senior and u20 we have won 1 all ireland in 10 years that was a very fortunate u20 which we have yet to barely get a panel member for the senior team. We had appointed poor managers and people here who would know more than me about underage have suggested clubmates of managers/selectors have being selected ahead of better players. We had a few strange selections for the u20 this year aswell. Chaps from u17 to u20 can improve playing for their clubs. There's a big gap from u17 to u20. Kk have mostly competed well at minor although not well enough but whatever goes wrong in the next couple of years we are very poor. Mark was never the right person for that Job. He wasn't helped I know with players taken but overall it was criminal to get bet with the same problem in 2 years. It's very important kk appoint a really good setup for u20 next year. I've no doubt the county board is working diligently to get a wow team together. I was the one who suggested that the senior is gone a bit stale. I know it's only two years In and people ask how can it be stale already. The kk team has stayed more or less the very same since Cody left. Tactically no better and very predictable. We have regressed.we arent improving.Derek or the selectors obviously don't trust the squad. There's players picked every day no matter how poor their form is. We need someone who will grab this by the scruff of the neck. Thank lads for their service and introduce players that will be there for years to come. If Derek is there next year bar the few retirements when push comes to shove it will probably be same team. He had homework to do after last year's all ireland defeat and that wasn't done infact we regressed. This is a high pressure job so if he does stay the pressure will be cranked up because everyone has realised he is very Conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Village87

Surely Henry will be approached for the u20 job.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 slash0683

You're personal hatred for Niall Bergin is bordering on psychotic and not healthy and any comment you make on his management ability (or lack of) can be taken with a pinch of salt. You've been assassinating him on here with nearly 3 years and to say you have no personal interest in this is laughable. We all know your position on him so maybe you can stick to discussing hurling for the foreseeable future??

This is not a true Statement in any form. I have no personal interest in this minor team and I have stated this before when you questioned it but I’d wonder where are you coming with all this seen as I have refuted theses accusations entirely. I have nothing personal against Niall Bergin. The thing is the management team was solely and entirely to blame for that defeat against Tipp end of story. Who are you going to blame 15 or 16 year olds who got little or no instructions the three times he had them in the dressing room.Who do you think was to blame and did you follow this team around the country this year. You do not have to have a link to a team to follow them just an avid supporter. I rust you will accept my statement as being true. I would like to hear your reasoning on the whole situation.

how did you make out I was assassinating him for three years, you were called out on this before when another poster said that wasn’t me.

Just on another thing maybe I should have named the minor management team instead of Niall, and for this I would apologise.but other people usually name the manager which they would see as the leader of the management team.

Is there any loss that the people off the pitch aren't responsible for??? Like Ive seen you blame management teams and coaching staff for u17, u20, kk senior, kk camogie and Dicksboro seniors in the last fortnight. How about the players take some of the responsibility?

Do you really expect a team to dominate an All Ireland semi final for 70 minutes? KK dominated for 50, and totally dominated and it is the players who didn't take the chances. We missed 1 on 1 goal chances, took the wrong options when easy points were on, stood to shoot and were blocked etc… All management can do is get them playing a style of hurling that gets them to create good scoring opportunities which they did, they had enough chances in the opening 50 minutes to win the game twice. The idea that Micky Comerford of all people is to blame is laughable, as is the idea that management haven't worked on their style of play… Like people were calling for Eoin Murphy to be dropped after the Carlow game summed up some of the analysis on here, the man after winning 2 all stars in the last 3 or 4 years… Has anyone mentioned the frees missed in the last 15 mins? Is this the coaches fault too?

On to the u20s, I dont know a whole about the personnel on the starting 15 like many seem to do here but I do know that that Offaly team should have won a minor All Ireland 3 years ago and beat everyone else comfortably. Why were we "expected" to win that game? Even at that, how can Mark Dowling be responsible for a missed penalty and a player hitting the crossbar for point blank range with a goal at his mercy as well as other easy chances? Again there was more than enough chances created to win the game. Making Dowling 100% responsible seems personal to me.

Were the Dicksboro seniors not 3points up going into the final few minutes in the county quarter final? How did management get their match ups wrong for most of the game if they were in front with a few minutes to go against Ballyhale of all teams and a bit of individual brilliance from the shamrocks pulled victory from the jaws of defeat.

One poster here criticised the minors for bringing a player back on that was taken off, saying it never works…. Do people realise that Woodock brought on at least 2 players that he had already taken off? And he is hailed as a hurling genius here.

As for your constant constant criticism of the county board. How about you go down to your club agm and get nominated as the club rep for the county board and go in and do something about it?? You don't need an degree to get involved….

As for some of the names mentioned above as replacement managers, did Eddie Brennan not get a minor team that won an All Ireland beat by Westmeath at u21 level? Brian Hogan also lost a club All Ireland against 14 men for most of the game…. my point is no manager has a prestine record and if they were appointed, one bad result and the whining etc would start again here.

I come on here to read opinions on kilkenny hurling and to see 100 plus posts from the same 2 people whinging about managers, coaches, S&C teams and the county board over and over again is depressing…. Make your point and move on, you don't need to reinforce that point everyday of every week.

For a lad with no personal interest in the minors you have an unhealthy obsession with Bergin. A simple search of his name on the forum will show the amount of times you have posted about him since 2022. We all know your view so maybe we could discuss actual hurling going forward. Thanks

• Advertisement

your first reply certainly isn’t me check it out.

I really don’t know where your coming from with all this it is a discussion forum. I think most posters here were not in the least bit happy with the “minor management team”. Have you a personal involvement with any of the management team. I said I’d have all the management teams gone. So what I’m entitled to say this if you disagree with this I would like to hear your opinions on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Box to box

Theres a lot in this but absolutely the players have to take responsibility but the management is responsible for having them best prepared,implementing the game plan and tactics amd getting the best out of the team that is selected. Kk seniors have regressed in the 2 years with the very same team. Derek lyng isn't responsible for our lads lumping ball up 2v1 getting overturned and resulting in a few of clares points but he is responsible for not bringing on freshness. Kk have died out of games the last few years,gave away big leads so the idea of questioning Michael Comerford isn't farfetched. Eoin Murphy is one of the best shot stoppers in the country but there's no doubt his puckouts can be absolutely woeful. Tj shouldn't of took them long range frees against clare. Murphy should of took them. I actually think the 700 points thing hung over tj and pat hogan this year.

The county board is a complete shambles I think we all agree on that. They appoint convenient people who suit their style The boro last year got their match up with Adrian Mullen and didn't change it til the second half after he got about 1-4. The whole place could see a change was needed earlier.

No manager will have a great record and managers and players improve with experience but mark dowlings time in charge can only be described as catastrophic and he was never the right guy for the job. The minors might of exceeded expectations getting to the final but to get a home final with 2 extra players,the manner of the defeat was very poor. There's a reason why kk are 10 years without a minor and senior all ireland and 1 u21/20 in sixteen years because people here think some are too hard on county board and management and things are grand. Things are not grand.Theres a lot of things wrong. Is it 3 of the last 5 u20 all irelands cork won? Kk need to appoint the right people at underage. I don't know if they would appoint Henry.

I don't know Niall Bergin and don't really care what you think of him or the minor management. I come on here mainly to read and get news on Kilkenny hurling and with the odd post. All you seem to talk about is Niall Bergin and if I could block out your comments so I wouldn't have to read the same thing over and over again I would, but I can't. You are entitled to express your opinion but I certainly don't need to read the same thing every day.

My opinions on the minor? I think box summed up the minor year well in what he just posted, exceeded expectations getting to an All Ireland Final but not winning on the day was very disappointing. Players and management could both have done better on the day but I'm sure both know this.

I agree with a lot of this but I don't think it's fair to say they haven't worked on a style of play, they have absolutely tried mixing it up a lot more. There is a lot more short passing, a lot more running off the shoulder etc, things that would have been alien to most of this kk team under Cody's reign. They carried out that exceptional well in an All Ireland semi final against a good Clare team for 50 mins put didn't show it on the scoreboard.

As for freshening it up. With what players? If the older players are still out performing the younger lads in training matches etc then they have to play. You can only go with what you see in training and if thats what they see then thats what they see. They are looking to win the All ireland too. It's up to the younger lads to make the team, remember TJ was 24/25 I think before he became a regular starter under Cody and he is one f the greatest ever.

Easy say the Boro management were slow to make changes but if you have your best man markers on Cody, Reid, Fennelly etc and they are keeping them reasonably quiet you would be reluctant to change. There is a lot of fires to put out. The boro were 3 points up with 5 or 10 to go and didn't have the composure to finish it off.

I don't know Mark Dowling either as it happens but why was he a disaster from the very start? They won their group games and were beaten by a superior Offaly team on paper in a match they nearly won or could/should have won?

Well it’s not for you it’s usually a reply to somebody I disagree with.you just seemed to have launched a personal attack on me without knowing anything about me, I am straight up and I stand by my opinions there is no underlying conspiracy theories only in your head and you still choose not to believe me. A last note on that minor match it was the worst ever defeat for a KK team.

That's fine, we all know what your thoughts are on it now.

you would make a good peeler always interfering, first your outraged and then you say it doesn’t matter to you make up your mind.

• Advertisement

KK we’re certainly in the top three positions in the minor rankings this year but minors being minors they blew hot and col. so it is not really accurate to say they exceeded expectations I was certainly very hopeful even in the final against a full Tipp team.

Advertisement