Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AP interview help

• 20-07-2024 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I've completed 4 assistant principal officer level interviews but haven't been offered any of the jobs.

My feedback for 2 has been excellent, for 1 not great and the other feedback wasn't forthcoming.

I don't know where I'm going wrong. I have the experience, education etc. I'm being called for interview so what am I doing wrong that I'm not getting the jobs? I'm an external candidate to the civil service.

Has anyone done an AP interview prep course? Are they worth the cost? If so, can anyone recommend a particular course provider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭336699

I’d highly recommend Mark Kehoe. He’s an AP in the civil service so know his stuff.

He provides interview preparation for all grades in the Civil Service and also helps with application forms. He gives a great insight into what assessors and interviewers are looking for in Civil Service competitions. He’ll do practice interviews with you so you’ll be well prepared.

And he’s an absolute gent. His number is 086 881 6034

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭moneymaid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

He's hardly a serving AP in the Civil Service? If he is and he is charging fees for freelancing he could land himself in serious bother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Ted222

Not really. If there’s no conflict of interest and he’s doing the extra work in his own time, there shouldn’t be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Official Civil Service Code of Conduct clearly states;

4.2 Civil servants must never seek to use
    knowledge acquired in the performance
    of, or as a result of, their official duties to
    benefit themselves

If he is a serving AP (surely if he so capable at the interview process he would be at least a PO?) then he is absolutely guilty of a conflict of interests. Even ignoring the above and the benefit to himself, what about his care of duty to his own HEOS's, he is literally training others how to beat them in a competition.

I would be shocked if he is a serving AP and hasn't been outed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Ted222

I don’t think the paragraph you quote is relevant to this circumstance. It would be more relevant to information acquired in relation to government policy etc.

The CS departments themselves provide training to its officials on how to pass promotion tests. You could equally argue that taxpayers money is being used to confer an advantage to serving civil servants to the disadvantage of newcomers.

If there was ever an action taken against the Ap offering training, I’d be very confident that I could represent him successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 RiseNshine

yes I here

Post edited by RiseNshine on

• Registered Users Posts: 30 RiseNshine

you didn’t get the job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I’ve used Frank Sweeney in Carr Communications previously and found him amazing. Cost me about €350 for 90 mins many years ago. Expensive but I breezed the interview as a result of his help.

Advertisement