Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options
1368369370371372374»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Two weeks ago I did this. Pressed the assistance button on the unmanned toll and said I went through the main westbound toll earlier, he asked did I have a receipt, I said yes (expecting to have to call our a number of something) and he said ok grand and opened the barrier. I don't know if he could see me holding the receipt through a camera

Wouldn't have known about it if it wasn't for someone mentioning on here a while back

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I just see so many people post it. I don’t use them and have no experience but it’s posted so much.

Edit. Post above explains it better. It’s commonly known that if you come off to use them you can get back through for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

if you pass through the same toll both in the same direction with 3 hours of initially passing through that you don’t have to pay again apparently.

(This only applies to tolls that you can pass twice like Enfield if you come off the ramp for the hotel and then rejoin the motorway and has the slip road booth)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah I got stung by that years ago on the M4, was trying to get to the Applegreen there for petrol and Google maps sent me off the motorway to a field behind the motorway services. Has to go back to the toll gates at the ramp and if course they're unmanned, so ended up paying twice

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CivilEx

At the risk of going off topic talking about tolls, I'm in the UK at the moment and when I mentioned that 1) I had to pay four tolls on my route West / East (Ballinasloe, Enfield, M50, Port tunnel) 2) There are no longer any EV toll price reductions, I was greeted with amazement that I would travel a route that would cost so much....any form of tolls on the roads are not acceptable in the UK it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭wassie

I quote often have to do that route but with a toll also at Rings End - 10 tolls across the day.

So an interesting experience I've had recently regarding destination chargers

Went to several campsites over the past few months and did lots of driving and sightseeing around the area. One campsite had AC chargers, the other didn't and I was reliant on DC charging nearby

I will say that surviving on DC charging is definitely doable, it's a bit more head wrecking. I found I wasn't at a low enough SoC to get max speed so it took 20-30 mins to get to 80%

I probably could have charged less to speed things up but I didn't want to leave myself short for the next day and hadn't really planned where we were going next

Having AC chargers onsite was a good but easier, just plug in when you get back to the campsite. Only real hassle (other than chargers not working) is having to delay wine time until the car is charged

So I'd probably still book accommodation that has a charger over one that doesn't, all else being equal. But I certainly wouldn't avoid an area just because there's no destination charging

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Would you not just leave the car charging overnight? That's what AC destination charge points are for. And then you can enjoy your wine time straight away 😁

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It should have, you have (i think) a 3hr reentry window going the same direction

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Well the campsite (Domaine Des Ormes) had 3 phase chargers so the car was typically done after 4-5 hours

There were 6 chargers onsite so plenty to go around, but there were also a decent number of EVs (all Irish) looking to charge so didn't want to hog one

If they were slower chargers I'd probably have just left the car

Don't worry, wine time still happened after picking the car up 😁

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I wasn't charging the full battery every time. Typically had around 40% when I plugged in and charged to 80% because at 44c/kWh why spend any extra 😱

• Advertisement
Advertisement