Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Considering what a nuisance the system is at times, good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

That's what we used to do with Lucozade bottles when I was a kid. The shop used to put them out the back, we used to bring them back in the front 😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I was up at Supervalu getting rid of bottles and cans when it stopped and was full. I got the manager out and he shook the contents down and went to get rid of more and ended up with 3 tickets.

He replied when asked they empty them 4 times a day which is a lot and the system works.

Also asked if machine rejects the symbol and barcode and they will accept them by manual return inside the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

At Tesco yesterday emptying a bunch of cans, got the voucher at the end for just under €6.

Did my grocery shopping and went to the self service checkout and used the voucher for part of the total as I always do. This time the machine showed an error when I scanned the receipt, the voucher wasn't recognised. Tried again and same problem. Asked staff about it and she shrugged saying it happens sometimes with the faulty printing from the deposit return machines and there's nothing they can do about it.

Grand so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Not grand at all.

Have you got the receipt ?

If so go back to customer service and don't come away without your €6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭beachhead

Was he capped? Plugged? Wallpapered? Buttoned? Whacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I kept the receipt but the staff member said I'd have to contact the company who maintain the machines and they don't deal with issues from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Sounds like a cop out - the machines belong to Tesco, it's up to them to get it sorted out. Get on to Tesco head office

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭SteM

I would have asked for a manager. This is someone passing the buck for sure.

• Advertisement

Staff member is wrong.

The deal is you put the bottles/cans into the machine in Tesco and Tesco have to either give you the cash or take it off your bill.

As others said escalate your complaint and get your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I was trying to use the Marks & Spencer machine at Dundrum SC a few days ago. A machine that’s a bit different looking to most others and so finicky it rejected most of my bottle on basis they were wrong shape and had some liquid remaining. The conveyor belt is flat with ridges, bottles often turn across them rather than centre in snuggly. This was after “blowing up” the bottles to ensure they should be in an acceptable shape.

Brought them to Aldi in Nutgrove today to find shop is shut for refurbishment ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I’m disabled and it’s an effort to get out and my feet are very reluctant to take any weight past two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Have 4x18 packs to bring to a re-scam machine today. Genuinely tempted to get a receipt for each individual can…

Because apparently its better for everyone that I drive 20 miles to return something that I used to put in my now more expensive recycling bin in order to get back my own money. A receipt per can may justify it. Stick it to the man, etc. But, you've more than proven yourself a shill for Re-Scam so no point trying to explain why it's a scam to someone who works for them/glorifies them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Totally agree with this. It's another case of the majority of producers who make millions in profits annually not want to deal with a problem unless absolutely forced too…this type of thing made sense and was doable for the past decade.

It's a prime example of why the DRS is an absolute god send for producers also. They've managed to 'off shore' all of the cost and risk associated with the three Rs to the consumer while at the same time using the scheme as a smoke screen to increase the base cost of their products. They won't be under ANY pressure to change their packaging or distribution method or suffer any significant negative consequences from producing significant plastic waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Imagine at least one of the receipts will be illegible or the machine will run out of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭howiya

I see RTE had an article yesterday on how this could be improved.

None of the suggestions aimed at make claiming your deposit back any easier. First three are about not claiming your deposit back but letting someone else claim it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,077 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

not sure about individual receipts but I would defo batch it up to some extent in case the machine barfs half way through.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Senature

Actually the article mentions that in Denmark you can use an app to get the deposit put into your bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Shan Doras

Not at all surprising, when I told a Dane that some pensioners here insist on collecting their pension in cash every week at the post office, she thought I was joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

So basically pandering to Re-Scam.

Wow, RTE would never do that!

I didn't go through with the individual receipts, mainly because it would have been a pain in the hole in general to sort. I did take the chance at putting them all through, and it worked. Except for one exact same but older diet coke can that was pre-barcode. So it went into the general waste bin right beside the can recycling machines. Along with the 4 cardboard boxes which would normally go into the recycling bin at home along with the cans.

So net outcome of this better for everyone and the environment scam, is:

• Re-Scam: 71 of 72 cans got "recycled" (we're still waiting for confirmation that these are actually getting recycled, yeah?), but 4 cardboard boxes and 1 can went into public general waste + related car costs (small, but scale), and increased home bin costs + electricity costs of the machine + costs of having the machines emptied/collected (new routes not previously part of already in operation normal bin collections which have to continue regardless)

Compared to previously:

• 72 of 72 cans and 4 cardboard boxes went into my recycling bin at home, and no car/increased bin costs

I'm obviously blind that I can't see how this is beneficial to me, everyone else and the environment… Queue someone coming on to tell me I should have brought the single can and carboard boxes back home with me.

in Denmark you can return tons of items all at once in a much superior BIG machine that actually works.

I’m very anti ReScam, but I think some folk on the thread who are pro ReScam aren’t actually shills or insiders of the organisation, but are generally “pro-authority” on most things rolled out by government, and expect everyone to be likewise

Yeah we "copied" the scheme without copying many elements of the scheme that made it work.

Way too many concessions to retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭bog master

The article mentions (from memory) that plastic PET recycling target is 70% by 2025.

Can someone tell me how that will be reached when (last figures available) 70% of plastics are INCINERATED!

Yeah, the author of the article can't even copy and paste right. Maybe they are just ignorant of collection v recycling. Maybe they were deliberately misrepresenting things to make Re-turn look better as a Green initiative.

It links the EC article which says:

Specific targets include

• a 77% separate collection target for plastic bottles by 2025 – increasing to 90% by 2029

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

"In Denmark, where the scheme has been in place for a century,"

So Denmark have been successfully recycling plastic bottles and aluminium cans since before they were even invented. That is impressive.

Advertisement