Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭reggie3434

There's a €50 off grant for BER cert also on the SEAI site:

Please note there is a €50 BER grant available which will only be paid to you on your first grant application.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭deezell

That explains why solar companies quote nearly double for a BER, I'm looking at the receipt for a 2021 house sale BER which was €190. The SEAI advisory which accompanied it lists all the variables, and seems to say that the presence of Solar panels adds a 'High' score to the assessment, doesn't even mention counting panels, output, direction, so its safe to say it adds a minute or thereabouts to the overall BER survey when Solar is fitted.

When there's a sniff of grant support, prices double.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

Sadly this does not apply to new builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

so for my 1st ber TEST I can claim back a €50 grant ? not so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Is it not for your 1st BER test pertaining to a grant application?

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,145 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Gas, and Electric! It's about €7k before grant, seems high for a simple non hybrid 8×500w panel system. See on the news that leccie fell a further 8%, which of course eats into solar 'savings' calculations. The lower it goes, the more competitive solar installations will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

If electricity is cheaper, does that not mean that solar install is less competitive? The solar install will stay at the same fixed cost - but FIT will likely fall and your cost to buy the electricity from the grid is falling - so the panels payback time is getting longer?

But when people see this, they will stop getting installs as not economically viable BUT installers will go out of business and MUST lower the cost to keep going. The cost of materials will go down a bit (panels can now be bought for about €60each, but batteries are falling faster) but the installation costs(mostly profit gouging) has to fall further. Just look at today's offering from Bord Gais, right down to where this forum said it should be 18mths ago, and they are still screwing you

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

Ah get you. You reckon it will force the suppliers to drop prices? I hope so - but when I got my EV charger in recently it was notable that all the suppliers are pretty much charging the same, I.e. no-one seems to be willing to undercut the others for some reason. I assume too that all the panel installers will moan and groan and they will put pressure on for more subsidies...

By the way. Can i ask:

1. What's the 8% cut referenced above?
    2. What Bord Gais offering are you referring to?

Thanks!

1. There was a banner on the news mentioning an 8% drop, after a bit of searching, it's a CSO report that wholesale prices fell 8% to June this year, so one should compare their June 2023 rates to present.
    2. This offer end of Feb offering 10% drop, but on extremely high unit rates to begin with? I've signed up for the flogas/certa flat rate.

Behind all the smoke and mirrors, I have just left SSE,

Day 33.30

Night 20.66

Standing charge 0.7781,

and went to Bord Gais

Day 27.59

Night 13.65

Standing charge 0.72.

All the above are before VAT.

SO BASICALLY 6cent PER UNIT FOR EVERY UNIT and EVERY DAY. On day rate that is over 25% and on night rate is almost 30% .All builds up

Now I know that Bord Gais are still screwing me, but I am a low user.

SSE rang me to get me to stay, but when I queried unit prices over day and night, and especially the standing charge, THEY hung up on me.

You have to be on your game, with all of them

They're dreadful rates. Why didn't you go to Flogas? 25/12 including Vat, I don't know what the standing charge is but it's probably similar to what you're paying with BG.

Flogas Certa affinity flat rate, 23.44 inc vat, standing charge 70.5c/day (€257.38 pa).

https://www.flogas.ie/price-plans/certa-affinity-rate/?utm_source=Email

I've never seen a smart or day/night rate that worked out less based on my usage, which I've monitored for a couple of years on the smart meter. I've calculated the extra on day/peak rates wipes out the tiny night rate saving, and then some. I've not signed up to a smart rate as a result, and I was happy to stay on flat rate, while all the price hiatus was happening. Since the meter went in though, I've not been billed for two years, but my monthly level pay and the government freebies have accumulated as credit to more than cover it. Maybe the move to Flogas will sort it. Smart meter rollout a con, all stick and little carrot based on the rates. You'd need to cook and eat in the small hours to save a few cent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Folks, can we get back to the discussion of quotes please. There are umpteen other threads for the discussion of tariffs/rates/BERs etc. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 j1loner

I started searching for solar panels and I found the market very competitive. Some companies jumped down almost 2k in price when I mentioned I had better offers which obviously was a big No!

I have ended up with 10 x 440w panels, 5kW Sofar inverter net of 3.8K

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Looking at getting 12 panels but now thinking 10 would be enough given that the inverter is 5kw and that's the most it can process, is it worth the extra grand to get 2 more panels?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

5kW is the peak output, usually can handle 7-8kW of panels. It's just that it will clip down to 5kW on the really good days.

Clipping usually isn't a big deal as it only happens on the good days, where you may "lose" as in not produce, the extra 2kW of power for a few hours.

Most panels are 400-430 now, so 10 panels are only 4-4.3kWp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 MrBusso

Trying to navigate my way through a Solar installation and I’ve obtained two quotes so far. Looking for feedback if they are competitive

#1 - €6700

10 panel jingko 435 watt

Sigen Energy Controller Single Phase
    5 kW of Inverter Power
    Sigenergy
    1 x SigenStor EC 5.0SP

Eco-Smart Energy Diverter
    3.68 kW eco-smart energy diverter, 230V AC Single Phase, Rated Current - 16A, Standby Power Consumption - 3W

#2 - €6100

10 panels 435 watt jinko .4.5 kw.
    5kw dyness battery,
    Solis hybrid inverter,

Eddie Water diverter.

Quote #2 includes a battery, however, I’ve seen that this brand isn’t the best so unsure on that.

Also, through space issues with our ongoing extension, we would have to house the unit in the garage. Has anyone any experience of this?

Ta!

If it can knock €800 a year off your utility bill, and if you can get to ten years without a cent on repair or maintenance costs, (cleaning the leaves and bird shyt off the panels), then you will at least have got to pocket the grant as a saving, and still have the infrastructure, though battery and inverter would be statistically end of life. You'll know at the end of the first year what the savings are. It varies wildly depending on your self consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MrBusso

Thanks. My yearly usage is approximately 2600kWh and with my missus going on Mat leave from October that will increase.(neither of us work from home).

I'm just surprised at the difference in cost with the battery included. Makes me think its too good to be true 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

So had a crowd out and the installer was fairly honest and said there's a big risk with 80+ year old rosemary tiles that they could break and the way the roofs were installed could cause issues and make it very hard to safely secure panels.

Looks like solar is off the market for me for now - other places may be willing to do it but I've to weigh the risks.

This is what you need. Should be some companies who do them here.

Or these special in roof mounts for clay tiled

https://edilians.eu/easy-roof-evolution.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭DC999

I won't pretend to know if that main roof is not feasible. But if it is, do you have another flat roof like an extension or large shed? I've 5 panels on a flat roof. Others here have a garden full. Some even did the ones in the garden before the main roof - unusual but hey!

There's loads of them in new builds in the UK, that style of panel would make adding panels difficult.

Who'd be adding panels though? You'd surely install what you could, or what you need in one go on a given stretch of roof, especially if it has to be in-roof replacing the tiles rather than sitting on top. New builds save the cost of tiling, as you're tiling with panels, albeit in roof type, or standard type sat in specific in roof frames. You can panel to the edge too, for a visually neat finish, whereas you've to leave a margin on the grant spec installs, which always visually jars. There must be some in roof installs here somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I have an extension and flat roof concrete wall sheds but I think the issue is they'll only get half the available sun and could be easily blocked by tall tress from the neighbours. They'd already be partially limited due to trees at the back boundary (see photo below!)

However the sheds would be great for battery storage as well ha.

I'm onto one more place as know someone in there (friend of a friend) but that two have now said it is really interesting.

Advertisement