Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

Putting 500 single men in a warehouse, with nothing to do, and only €38/wk to their name is a disaster waiting to happen. Now factor in, different nationalities, different languages, different religions and no connections to the locality.

Then replicate this all over the country, with NGOs filling their heads with entitlement. There will be building resentment by these men towards Ireland and we will we have scenes like Leeds within 2 years. And when that happens, the establishment and pou will be wishing for the days when riots were against locals in Newtown and Coolock.

How anyone can say in good faith that this is a good plan is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

There's been loads of polls over the last 2 years and they all say the same - You're acting the maggot there with the 'What polls, show me the links' stuff - unless you live in a forest that is

Just 2 that I happened to have to hand. The IDM and the IT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Banned twice SUNSHINE,. Guess all you like, that poster was banned twice and still posted shows maybe they were the bully,a bullied person wouldnt be banned twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Thank you just out of the sea and I'm exhausted in 35 degrees shade now! Don't have the energy to be digging up extremely well known points at this stage. Like you said a lot of messers here. But appreciate you responding on my behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's not just that, it's time the Government got real here, areas like this are struggling for resources, try getting onto a Doctors list, a dentist, mental health care services and you'll probably be left waiting for a year or two… These estates across Dublin are barely Policed, try calling for a Gard if you need help and you'll be lucky to see one… There's no mosque's in the area, it's a quite monocultural area too..

Didn't see any announcements in the media about extra resources being put into the area to support 100's of people with I presume a lot of supports immediately required?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Why were there none of these concerns when all the 100s of new apartments were going up in the area? I didn't see anyone protesting then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

To be honest we're probably 20 year's away from scenes like that. But that doesn't make it any less alarming. You have to nip these things in the bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Doesn't answer my question, 75% are against what i asked the other poster. I have concerns over immigration and would respond a such if i was asked in a poll, but that doesnt mean i would actively oppose ipac centres or engage in violent clashes with the gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Even the bleedin heart lefties can take time out from calling people "far roight and wacist" to note that it's not right to place 300 men in a town of 250 people and literally change the course of a community that has existed for a thousand years overnight.

• Advertisement

Because I lived nearby in edenmore for the last 8 years and never heard a peep or saw any protests until now

Oh right, follow the development and planning system for the North Dublin area in detail then do you? Or just because you resided on the northside of Dublin means you pick up your knowledge of the next few years of planning applications for fun then? I'm sure not even some of the local councillors in the area know as much as you claim to..

Do you normally expect to see announcements in the media regarding extra services when apartments are built, or only when IPAS centres open?

Announcements regarding dropping 500 to 1000 IPA's into an area isn't part of the standard planning process nor is it announced years in advance in the news so how would I know about IPAS centres opening exactly?

i hope you're right, because would give time to amend policy and correct things but I fear we are barrelling down the tracks like a runaway train a lot quicker than people realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The vast majority of people in new apartment developments would probably already have a doctor, dentist etc.

500+ men from another country won't.

that because there is no plan, the government are like headless chickens and haven't thought it through. The countries infrastructure investment and implementation is painful slow and marred in delays and totally out of sync with population increases. Often objected too by the same people who claim we should welcome every asylum chancer with open arms.

Post edited by prunudo at

I think this sums up why we are where we are.

The world would be a far better place without the Bleeding heart lefties

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sekiro

They aren't saying it in good faith. Actually they will work hard to avoid saying it's a good plan because it obviously is not.

A feature of the Internet and platforms where people have discussions has always been that you will have a handful of people who, for whatever reason, get enjoyment from trying to paint others in a bad light. Implying, but not outright accusing, racism etc.

500 single unemployed males stuck in a warehouse, being promised all the opportunities in the world while being provided with none, is obviously an absolutely terrible idea. Obviously. Regardless of race or religion or any other factor. Obviously.

Some people are against it for racist reasons though and we can't be seen to be supporting that. Of course.

With social media and the Internet in general, we've manged to create a huge problem something like turkeys voting for Xmas because they've heard that racists really hate Xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭creeper1

I think we may be able to introduce ID cards. This could be linked to biometric details. All citizens and those lawfully here would be issued them.

Guards could demand the production of said identity cards. Tourists would need to produce proof of hotel bookings or give the address of family members they are staying with. Those without would need to show them at a guarda station within three days.

If they fail to show up guards could track them deport, imprison or even cane. I'm a big admirer of Singapore which actually issues caning for illegal immigrants. I certainly approve that.

I don't recall seeing any T.D's being as vocal in their support of the people who elected them, according to videos on YT i've seen there's been no locally elected representatives down at Coolock trying to resolve the situation… This just feeds into the disconnect between those in power and the issues and people they're supposed to represent.. When no one is speaking up for you then it feeds into those encouraging violent protests..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Mick like Paul Murphy is one of those who doesn’t believe in borders and everyone should be free to live wherever they want and be supported by their chosen country. Once you understand that you know what the open borders posters on this thread (3 in particular) believe i.e. there’s no point in trying to limit movement from Africa, Europe will just have to adjust

They havent, but they did attend a meeting when the DOI held a consultation and told them what was planned and they said nothing there either.

SF should be all over this. It's an open goal and I'm starting to think they don't actually want to be in government.

its high time the politicians in these areas grew a back bone. They're afraid to be seen with the protesters for fear they'll be labelled or stigmatised by their parties and their buddies in the media. Whichever TD grasps the nettle and actually speaks out and speaks common sense will be rewarded in the polls. Unfortunately their cronies have told them to stay away and are too afraid to put their head above the parapet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

according to the indo today - some coolock protestors are using provo tactics to split garda resources needed to tackle the illegal migrant protests hopefully this is not the case though there appears to be sadly calls on some social media channels to "blow it up" i.e. the crown paint factory so we could be facing an escalation in anti illegal migration sentiment if that were the case

Indo:

a person will call in a fabricated burglary or robbery, leading gardaí to rush away from the protest to the scene of the alleged crime,” a source said.

“Once there, the officers will be confronted by a number of people – who have the potential to attack them – while others in the locality are calling in multiple other incidents described as ‘ordinary crime’ to divert gardaí from the actual protest. It’s an attempt to cause mayhem.

“It’s all about dragging resources away from the area where the policing is needed most – it’s an old Provo (IRA) tactic from the Troubles in the North.

or just lads using the noggin, but of course everything has to have a label or a spin put on it by the media.

MLMCD has said that SF are a firmly left wing party, Eoin OBroin is a perfect example of it, so they definitely won't support protests of any sort outside an IPAS centre.. Again, all of this is creating a political vacuum where opportunist political figures can slip right into the frame and pretend they're representing the people…

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭giseva

Carol Nolan forewarned the government in 2022 I believe, raising genuine concerns about their dysfunctional migrant policy and the apparent contempt for the communities effected, she was called all sorts of names as a result!

Turns out she was right, though I don't think she has received an apology, or ever will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭giseva

Turning up on a coastline and scrambling out of a boat is one thing and it isn't happening on our shores. People are country hopping, ripping up documents, and crossing the border up the north, or presenting themselves at passport control in Dublin Airport and saying "sorry pal, don't worry about that flight I've just come off, I've no passport and I'm fleeing persecution...oh and you'll have to take my word for it"

Not sure if it's sinister forces at play, or just sheer government incompetence and fear that their EU masters might give out to them.

People fleeing conflict and oppression should be helped where practical but passing through numerous safe countries to get here shouldn't be the most favourable option. But I understand why it is given our welfare system is so easily exploited. It's bad enough when Irish people spend their lives exploiting it, but let's make it worse by opening it up to whoever wants it.

Our government should sort out our own country out before trying to save the world and everyone in it. And on recent events, how did they ever think putting a refugee center in the middle of Coolock of all places was ever going to be met with anything other than complete resistance?

These people are our leaders, God help us!

Advertisement