Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Hilarious, you lot loose your s**t when AGS act with remarkable restraint enforcing the basis of law and order. Yet you want a police state!

Then you want to protect 'our culture' while we become more like Singapore.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,893 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'd love if the Government actually came out and explained their position on immigration. I certainly cannot understand why we are taking in such large numbers and why they are crossing through so many countries to get here.

I am not against taking in a certain amount but undocumented people should not take precedence. I have a friend in Canada who works with the Immigration department and they have reps in these countries where the immigrants are coming from, filtering at the source and deciding who qualifies and who they take into Canada. Why can't Ireland do the same?

I am also against the violence and I believe that there's a gouger element attaching itself to genuinely concerned groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Europe take millions and millions every year. Some are going to trickle through to Ireland where we speak English and have a strong economy. Now that we have international communities here they may have links here already.

So of course some are going to pass through Germany and France and the UK to get here, many don't though and stay in these countries too. All wealthy countries with opportunities attract migrants one way or another, that's the nature of humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭Quags

You keep saying “you lot” 😂 one person gave a suggestion

Similar to the left wing calling someone right wing if the don’t like what the left wing have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭giseva

What is worse? What is the most damaging to this country?

Is it the government allowing and actually promoting the increased intake of "asylum seekers"?

Is it heavy handed AGS protecting the plantation of illegal (clue is in the name) immigrants into an area far removed from the top rung of society in terms of class and wealth, or the people of that area who rightfully object to what's happening and act out as a result?

Maybe it's the actions of the protestors, or the fact people have the absolute nerve to object to serious changes in their communities. The cheek of them. Is that it?

From the footage I've seen, it isn't the few eejits in the protests that get the brunt of the 'robust' policing, it's concerned residents, some senior citizens too. And what does it demonstrate to the really young children in this area who already may have a certain view of AGS when they see a man of 78 blasted with pepper spray? It creates further distrust and hatred for law enforcement and the government in these areas.

That particular man was not a threat to anyone, not burning anything or throwing objects, his crime just being there protesting. I would say the people in these communities and their subsequent responses are far from the biggest issue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Thanks for confirming what you think.

To all rational, reasonable posters - let it sink in what's being called for:

The removal of all security measures in airports/ferry ports around the world for any passenger who utters the word 'asylum' at any boarding gate; the intentional removal of basic passenger checks on mainstream airlines and ferries. A literal free-for-all.

By implication, anyone who believes in such an approach would also logically believe in waiving ticket charges for these passengers too. This would be funded by the Irish people I suppose.

So the next time one of these people tell you there's no open border brigade, here's your reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

You're once again jumping to conclusions.

Where did you get this idea about removal of airport security?

Essentially I'm proposing we implement our border measures safetly here. Anyone who doesn't meet the criteria for entry to the state, whether for security reasons or other, would be refused entry.

The point is to remove the dependency on traffickers as a failed deterrence policy. There's nothing 'open borders' about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭downtheroad

There's no sign of the Garda helicopter over the skies of D5/D17 today.

The protesters and rioters must be fairweather rioters and protesters.

A deserved day off for the Public Order Unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Given that Keir Starmer has now declared Project Rwanda dead, perhaps we can start sending the Asylum Seekers that rocked up here from the UK back there then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Terrier2023

There is huge money to be made on the refugee situation, huge money being invested in divisive tactics to make us hate immigrants . They want this turmoil they want us to hate immigrants and in this hate ignore the real issues what the elites are doing in plain sight.

These folks who are coming here have never had much wealth or security they are the new poor in ireland. they have no education no societal understanding of our culture with very reals laws. they are not being taught how to behave in our soiciety which is a tax paying ordered society.

they have a survival instinct which we have largely lost and their penchant for minors is not frowned on in their previous lives. What they should have to do is complete a 6 month induction to our ways and then be examined on this prior to being given so much then we might be on our way , but the violence and fear is not going away stuffing them in old warehouses is not the answer. I live in the middle of the country side and i cant see their being here very much affecting my everyday life but to those in built up areas the threat & fear is very real.

the government must address this as the heat is only going to get hotter and it could result in vigilantes and deaths of immigrant,ordinary people & even the police who mostly look like young men & women barely out of templemore what a baptism of fire they are having. My friend has two children in the garda they have recently handed in their notice & are going to Australia as they say its not what they had signed up for. This will happen more & more and then much more violent people will be recruited and that is a whole other nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

they are inside in town oconnell st. protest instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Is it true Ireland accepts 41% of the Nigerian Asylum seekers in the EU? Read it on twitter earlier. I also seen we are one of the only countries taking in Zimbabweans. Word will spread fast in safe African countries. There will be a rush short term to take advantage of the Irish loophole.

It is literally importing armies. I find it difficult to keep my children occupied even with all their gadgets. Hundreds of men in each of these areas, when they don't get their own door accommodation as ridiculously promised by a delusional ROG, are not going to be happy.

Genuine asylum seekers are one thing, but the majority of these men would've been better off staying in their country of origin, or perhaps one of those they passed through to get here.

I know we're a liberal society and men go with men women go with women etc....to each their own have at it.....but and forgive me for assuming the sexual orientation of the majority of these guys, for the bus loads of men being brought into communities, should there not be bus loads of women? It's been said to death that we don't see anywhere near the number of women and children presenting as we do the number of men.

Bar a bit of Netflix and maybe checking out a few of our lovely parks and museums, how exactly are these guys going to keep themselves "occupied"?

Gender equality, and we love a bit of that in this country, doesn't seem to apply in this case. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

We don't have a strong economy in Ireland. The middle class have been wiped out, the qualified Irish are emigrating and taking their skills with them with an ongoing cost of living/housing crisis having made the country a basket case. Public transport services are a joke. Education & Health are crumbling under a lack of investment. And all behind it all is a culture of corruption from the same oul shysters who steal everything and contribute nothing (I'm referring to the Irish, not immigrants btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 54,290 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Speaking of Nigeria, my local TD asked a Parliamentary question (Spoiler alert a nothingburger of a response)

QUESTION

To ask the Minister for Justice the rationale for not adding Nigeria and Pakistan to Ireland's safe countries list, given that both countries appear to meet the Government's definition of a safe country, that is, a country generally free from persecution, torture, inhuman or degrading treatment, and threats of violence from armed conflict; and if she will make a statement on the matter.

Under the International Protection Act the Minister for Justice may make an order designating a country as a safe country of origin. A country may only be designated as a safe country of origin where satisfied it can be shown that there:

• is generally and consistently no persecution;
    • no torture or inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment; and
    • no threat by reason of indiscriminate violence in situations of international or internal armed conflict.

A country that has been designated under section 72 as a safe country of origin shall, for the purposes of the assessment of an application for international protection, be considered to be a safe country of origin in relation to a particular applicant only where-

?(a) the country is the country of origin of the applicant, and
    ?(b) the applicant has not submitted any serious grounds for considering the country not to be a safe country of origin in his or her particular circumstances and in terms of his or her eligibility for international protection.

There are now fifteen countries designated as safe countries of origin: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Georgia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Serbia, South Africa, Botswana, Algeria, Brazil, Egypt, India, Malawi and Morocco.?The latter five I added on the 3rd July 2024.

I have also extended prioritisation and accelerated processing of international protection applications beyond safe countries of origin to applications from the country of origin with the highest number of applications. International protection applicants from the country which has had the highest number coming to Ireland over the previous three months, will go into the accelerated process.

Under this process, they will have their cases decided upon within 90 days. At the moment, the country whose citizens will qualify for this faster processing, is Nigeria. The top country over the past three months will be assessed on a rolling basis every quarter. Applications from Nigeria have almost halved since it was added to the accelerated process on this basis in April.

Additionally, following approval of the Houses of the Oireachtas last month, new legislation will now be drafted to implement the EU Asylum and Migration Pact.

The new Pact builds on existing safe country of origin, safe country of asylum and safe third country concepts, providing further guidance into their application throughout the EU. Specifically, the Pact regulates the concept of effective protection, and will introduce a common safe third countries and safe countries of origin lists at EU level, which will help to streamline and harmonise the application of the safe country concepts across the EU.

The Pact also introduces mandatory border procedures for certain categories of applicants, including applicants who are from a country of origin with a recognition rate of less than 20%. The Pact introduces an accelerated processing procedure for applicants who pose a security risk, who mislead the authorities, or who are coming from countries with a low recognition rate.

I can inform the Deputy that in making the assessment to designate a country as safe, it was considered, among other things, the extent to which protection is provided against persecution or mistreatment by:

• The relevant laws and regulations of the country and the manner in which they are applied.
    • The observance of the rights and freedoms laid down in specified European and International Conventions.
    • Respect for the principle of non-refoulement in accordance with the Geneva Convention.
    • Provision for a system of effective remedies against violation of those rights and freedoms.

The assessment was based on a range of sources of information, including from other EU Member States, the European Union Agency for Asylum (EUAA), the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, the Council of Europe and other international organisations as? appropriate.? My Department also seeks submissions from? the Department of Foreign Affairs, UNHCR, the Irish Refugee Council and other NGOS in relation to the proposed designation of a country as safe.?

I keep the list of safe countries under review having regard to the profile of applications being received.

Makes no odds where people are originally from with our soft touch island. I recall that violent criminal that found himself disposed of in the canal by the sisters had lied about his country of origin, and his name, and his criminal history, and his marital status....and that was back in 2005!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Problem for any elected representative is that there are clearly right wing / far right elements involved in the Coolock protests. Any local TD would need their head examined before turning up at one of these protests to show support…..the crowd last night were addressed by Malachy Steenson and they clearly have a huge issue with the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Not a single person thinks its right but it's not those mens fault and there's a lack of suitable accommodation elsewhere so it's either the not ideal place like Dundrum village or tents on the street again.

It's also not the fault of leftists, if we had an actual left wing government we'd have housing as a right, no homeless and plenty of accommodation capacity to deal with this because half of the countries hotel rooms wouldn't be taken up by the Irish homeless in emergency accommodation.

It's the fault of the neoliberals in FF & FG and everyone who voted for them which has left housing to free market capitalism and turned it into the mess that exists today.

Are TDs not meant to serve all the people left, right and in between?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Record tax receipts year on year would suggest the economy is doing ok

• Registered Users Posts: 13,566 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

We discussed this particular view on the other thread .

This is your opinion of what happened which you are entitled to but it is not the facts of what happened

. Just want to make that clear .

Fact is information was given to all community leaders and not just one group as you have claimed , and a meeting with community engagement should have happened before the work was set to start .Maybe it didn't happen because many of the local reps were busy with elections , maybe it was as you say .

Fact is that very important community meeting did not happen .

The rest is opinion and theory .

• Registered Users Posts: 45,468 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Lots of hyperbole and wild generalising in this post.

Zero grasp of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

It's the fault of the government who don't have the balls to say , we don't have the room , we can't take you in , you need to go home.

The country (and europe as a whole) has taken in far too many people, Ireland is 20% foreign born and has had a 60% increase in it's population in the last 30 years, we have done enough.

Politicians in Europe (all over ) need to come out and say Europe is overcrowded tough , we're not taking in any more.

There then needs to be a global action on the migrant crisis and instead of the solution being everyone can live in Europe they need to fix Africa and the Middle East so that those are good places to live and there is no need for emigration from there.Its not up to Europe to ruin itself because Africa and the Middle East can't appear to government itself effectively.

One of the best things about this country is it's low population density, we need to do everything we can to ensure this stays the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,468 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The economy in Ireland is flying at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Didn't say they should "show support" but they should be there to work with the constituents who voted them into power, you know, do their jobs and build relations between the community and the Government/Gardai.. Otherwise as you say, people like Steenson will step into their place..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am sorry you feel so threatened by another poster. It cant be easy for you. Good luck with highlighting it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭SteM

Did you ask the person who posted the stat on twitter if it was true?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,566 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Ugh this made me vomit !

This along with your "dangerous men from lower economic ring of the ladder " comments are just vile and others don't seem to recognise that !

This is definitely trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Let's say there was a new political party estbalished tomorrow with several 'normal' and intelligent candidates (not opportunists gobdaws) and you were in charge of formulating the immigration policy.

What would be your top 5 policies?

For example

Migration Pact - In or out?

NI border - Hard or open?

Ukrainians - Remove Benefit of temporary protection?

IPAs - Detention centres - Yes or No?

etc etc.

Just your top 5.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement