Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options
1373839404143»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Thanks everyone.

Battery saver actually popped up again this morning.

Will keep an eye on it - just been for a 34 km drive in it.

Had a dealer appointment for next week but a family member whose much better at spanners then I am did the swap last week.

Luckily I didn't cancel the dealer appointment so will see what they think next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭zg3409

You can monitor the 12 volt yourself using something like the BM2 battery monitor from Amazon etc.

You can update the radio software yourself if you have a laptop, the exact correct size SD card and an SD reader. This may help manage the 12 volt better. The latest software is supposed to check the 12 volt more often and it may hide the warnings.

https://update.hyundai.com/US/EN/Main

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭baldshin

Just passed 5 years of ownership and 90,000km, and still loving this car. The efficiency is just incredible. Had a 60 km journey last week at 10.3kwh/100km and a 200km journey at 11.2kwh/100km!

Post edited by baldshin on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

Same. I have mine 3.5 years and do just less than 30k a year. I have no hesitation taking it on long trips either.

My only issue as been awful waits for charging in Cork City. It's the pits there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq/37246267

Any opinions on this as a first EV foray ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭baldshin

Looks in good nick and a decent price. Downside is milage, battery warranty is up at 180k I think. Would be worth getting an OBD2 dongle and checking on the battery health and taking for a test drive looking for any strange noises.

Also disregard the claim of 240km range. You will only get this on a 20degree+ day, with a light foot on 80-100km roads. Winter range could be as low as 140km on a motorway. I'd say on average year round I'm sitting at about 180km range.

Great car if it suits your own personal requirements range wise, quick to charge and costs next to nothing in maintenance. Would ask if rear bearings/sensors have been changed. If not, looking at a few hundred quid to replace at some point as they seem to go every 80,000 km or so. Also worth asking if gear oil has been changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bannerman1969

3 x 100kw CCS and 1 x CHAdeMO chargers now availible since last week at Supervalu by the Lough on the South Side of the city - about 1.5km from the link (Togher). While Cork City still not great for high speed charging especially north of the river - this is a great addition especially as Frankfield is always busy during the day and only 3km away from Supervalu so is now a real alternative. Also dont forget Cork Airport with 6 x 50kw CCS and 6 x CHAdeMO installed and will be commissioned anyday and only .40 per kW.

Thanks so much, great information . I'm 6km from work , where I have free charging , so it might be a no brainer for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭zg3409

The cars probably ok. I would bid lower say 8.5k aiming to end at 9k which gives you room for any unforeseen issues down the road. If you could stretch the budget higher there are cars with double the range with 60+kWh batteries from around 15k euros plus.

Main issue with short range cars is on longer trips say a cross country trips is you need to public charge before you can make it back home and public chargers can have queues at peak times. Things have got better in the past couple of years and this car has CCS versus leaf so it can use most public chargers and it charges quite fast.

Other questions are do you own your own home with off street parking so you are more likely to be able to get a home charger. Workplace charging sounds great but what if you switch job, or others buy EVs and all are in use or they break and company is slow to fix or replace them. For example all my workplace chargers did not work one day this week, but it was solved by the afternoon. They will also be popular if free and free can become crazy overpriced, my work ones are 5 times the price of home charging and they used to be free.

Or with a short range EV even if you fully charge on a Friday you may need a home top up by Sunday.

So dont consider it a no brainer, with such a short commute hanging on to your old car may make more sense and wait for prices to drop.

Thanks , I do have my own house with a drive, and I can install a home charger myself . I'd imagine most of my charging would be on smart meter night rates. I also have a very usable petrol classic Saab, and my wifes car (she works from home and drives 3000km a year).

• Advertisement
Advertisement