Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2024 (Mod note #869)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,687 ✭✭✭✭walshb

PB.. 3:50:49

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Some mess at the start

British record and eased slightly last 10 metres!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dolldot2

Pryce 48.57 is crazy after a long NCAA season am gobsmacked at how comfortable she looked.

sorry I don’t agree with this we won’t have a hope in the relays even with Rhasidat the depth on the teams is crazy USA, GB, Netherlands, Jamaica

• Advertisement

Actually a European record. First sub 44 by a European

SB for Adeleke

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Think Adeleke would've been hoping for a bit faster than that, but onwards we go to Paris.

That was a really poor run by Rhasidat to be honest not what I was expecting thought she would smash her PB

• Advertisement

they won’t medal so her running the mixed isn’t going to be make any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

She was strolling. Nice SB in a non-preferred event.

This was all about further exposure to the noise and feel of a olympic sized venue. She's in the groove, we move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Musicrules

I think it shows that Adeleke being an automatic medalist is foolish talk.

Good thing no one's ever thought that then. She's always been in the conversation, but it's never been a guarantee. She could crack sub 49 in Paris and still only finish fourth, maybe even fifth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Of course they have a chance - European champions and they won the Olympic qualifying event in the Bahamas. The mixed relay might not necessarily be the biggest of targets for the likes of the Americans and the Jamaicans, or even the Brits. It's a new event and their priority will be the long established sprint events.

Disagree with this tbh, she was running her non preferred distance to sharpen her speed, not for exposure. I think she'll be at bit disappointed with it, but it's not the end of the world and she's a medal contender in Paris.

My point is for her to run low 48 or mid at the Olympics.. her 200m she needs to be running a low 22 for 200 or even sub 22. She had a really bad start and never recovered!!! Seeing that insane 400m earlier might have put her out…but yeah everyone so well prepared for Olympics the medal talk is probably stupid. She hasn’t broken 49 seconds and Pryce runs 48.57 so comfortably ( I hope not a doper)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Indeed, all I want is her to make the final and then, best of luck to her. As they were saying on, The Rest is Footbal, the other day, pressure is for tyres😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Insane run from Keely Hodgkinson. She really is a generational talent. The British have fantastic depth in the middle distances right now, with Gemma Reekie running 1.55 and Georgia Bell 1.56. Would loved to have seen Phoebe Gill in that race. Could they sweep the medals in the 800m? One bad run from Mary Morra and it’s a distinct possibility.

A top 6 for Rhasidat in that Olympic final is probably more realistic

• Advertisement

From an Irish perspective, it was a solid glide path to Paris. Brian Fay’s 7.34 must give him confidence that he has a shot at the 5K final. Coscoran also had a decent run. He needs to step it up a little in Paris though to be a contender for the final.

I’m not concerned about Adeleke’s run. She had a poor start and still ran an SB. 22.3x is a very fast 200m run for a quarter miler. However, she will need to run sub 49 in Paris. Clearly, Paulino, Pryce, and Kazmarek will run 48.xx. Who knows what Eid-Naser will produce. She’s certainly capable, but will need the race of her life. As others said, she shouldn’t write off the mixed relay as a potential first Olympic medal.

Finally, a word for Nick Griggs. What a phenomenal and almost underrated athlete he is. Let’s remember that he’s only 19. He will still only be 23 at the LA Olympics in 2028. His time will come then for sure.

It’s good to temper expectations but I think that prediction is overly negative. Top 4 is very probable.

I think 22.3 for Adeleke was a very good run

The other side of it now is their no pressure on her because of these insane times people are running no doubt be dopers somewhere!!

I still cannot get over that 400m run from someone who just burst on to the scene and took their pb down in a massive scalp (7th fastest ever time over 400m the commentary didn’t even appreciate the achievement of how fast the run was ) that after a long NCAA season generational talent perhaps… but certainly raises the question about dopers and I hope am wrong.. she ran 50.21 in 2023 and now running 48.57 massive improvement!!

Sorry not being negative I love Rhasidat but just with the times getting closer to that WR it going be tough… and her 200m wasn’t there today but again the pressure off her now unlike Pryce with that insane time today

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Watch it back and watch one of her European medal performances.

She was running at about 80% today.

Expectation now is a 200m Semi and 400m Final appearance in Paris. If she runs a PB in the latter, its an all time Irish achievement. If she does medal, its uncharted waters and an instant historical Irish performance, up there with Treacy and O'Sullivan. Up there with Taylor really.

You’re good. I think you’re being realistic. Just to note though that Natalia Kaczmarek’s 200m PB in only 22.8x. It may not be a true reflection of her ability in the event but it does demonstrate that there isn’t necessarily an intrinsic correlation between raw 200m speed and ability over the one lap.

She won’t be happy with that run she closed well but she does have the advantage of 200m raw speed so that what her coach was trying to focus on …get out hard over the first 200m and then finish strongly because her rivals don’t have the same raw speed but today just a race she was aiming to smash her PB and change the way she runs the 1 lap… Pryce had a strapping on her knee today anything can happen in two weeks before they line up again…am still baffled by her but I cannot be suspicious every time someone runs a crazy time🤣🤣🤣 but remember Naser in Doha barely broke a breath running 3rd fastest time ever … then was the missed tests … and her bullshite story she also back and rounding into form! Anyway my rant is over …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Musicrules

They have. Even on this thread there was some fella saying Adeleke only had 2 people in the 400 to worry about.

• Advertisement

Do you think the relay has a chance to medal though even with Rhasidat? I think not likely … the mixed I would be more hopeful …sneak something special but that would mean everyone running to their absolute full potential. USA squad dept is superior and GB are the same and then Jamaica and Netherlands… USA sent their B squad to the Bahamas and so did GB . I don’t think I would be in anyway shocked if she bows out of the relays maybe come back for final if we can get without her have to look beyond her she is amazing but she will be focused on the 400m individual and she does need to be selfish to put herself in the best position to get to the final in those qualifying rounds

Advertisement