Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump the Megathread part II - threadbans and mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

A massive fraud. You can tell he doesn't believe half the nonsense and bothsidesing he goes on with. The reality is he's getting a nice cheque in the post monthly from Bauer Media and in order to keep getting that cheque he has to give the counter narrative to the plain facts and common sense from Marion McKeone et al. I don't know how long Cal Thomas has been doing this grift on Irish radio, but it feels like a lifetime. I'm almost sure he was talking to Matt Cooper on the same show 25 years ago when I was commuting to college with a small FM radio in my pocket.

I'm absolutely sick of this rubbish in our media. If the Americans want to legitimize fascism and give endless passes to Trump and his cronies as they dismantle the state, let them at it. But at this point, in our media, I just want to hear from people with no agenda. Eamon Dunphy had a few of these characters on The Stand, and fair play to him, he got shot of the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

This whole thread is an example of america..

Surely he's a cnut…

no.. here's why..

but he's a rapist and a felon..

no, here's why…

i'm so tired of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/07/19/politics/donald-trump-zelensky-phone-call-2024/index.html

Am I confused about this? I had a notion that it was illegal in the US for an ordinary citizen to have discussions with foreign leaders /representatives on matters relating to the state? I could be wrong but I thought I had come across this situation before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭golfball37

You haven’t heard Cal Thomas in the past 8 years if that’s your characterisation of him. He has no time for Trump whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 19,655 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It is a violation I believe of the Logan Act, one of dozens of transgressions that have yet to be acted on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Michael Graham.

Love this bit of Miggly D taking him to the cleaners, just listen until the end as the points he makes then are very relevant today

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Detritus70

It's always the same. I need to print a bingo card:

Both sides! Democrats are the Nazis! I'm not a Trump supporter, but! We were better off four years ago! Sure he didn't mean it like that ! He never said that! He's not a rapist! He's not a racist! Well, he didn't call *all* Mexicans rapists and drug-dealers! Biden is old! Biden wears diapers! No, it's totally different with Trump! Those wimminfolk and gays have enough rights already! Something, something woke! Something, something murdering babies! Something, something Jesus! 'Murica!

They just repeat the same old tired nonsense over and over and over again. It's just to create noise in the debate and turn serious debaters off so they'll leave the thread. It's just flooding the zone with sh1t.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Well considering this is the Donald Trump thread, if anyone wishes to discuss Donald Trumps strategy the other evening and his 90 minute “speech” and whether it was a clever or dumb move I’m more than willing to engage.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Detritus70

That would be 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back, you couldn't pay me to watch him speak for 5 minutes. Anything he says is just verbal diarrhoea.

It's the equivalent of one guy distracting you while the other guy steals your wallet. Whilst Trump spews bulls1t, we'd want to watch what's happening around him coughProject2025cough.

Whatever comes out of Trump's mouth is of zero importance or interest.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Advertisement

The only slight consolation is that towards the end - I saw bits of it - the camera panned across the audience and the audience looked bemused and bored, and completely switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,074 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He lied his ass off for the whole speech about the economy, crime, immigration etc
    Well, it would have been pretty dumb to be honest wouldn't it?

Why bother with the truth and the reality when you can rile up your base with lies?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/jul/18/trump-rnc-fact-check

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Indeed they did as would most normal people- the thing was though, he wasn’t trying to convert the converted - his whole aim with that “rant” was to hit the tv watching audience at home- he had 90 minutes to “convert” them- over that time millions of Americans would tune in for even 5-10 mins - that was his goal- talk to them.

My question is, should he have taken a different tack?

By all accounts this “speech” could have been a repeat of 2016 in many parts - Hannibal lector included.
    I think he wasted an opportunity and should have hit different notes, new notes, notes that would reach undecided voters - they’ve heard all this drivel before - they need something new to convince them - that’s why they’re undecided.
    Trump won in 2016 because he was clever with what he said- but he needs to introduce new and updated concepts if he’s to win over and keep undecided voters.

Whether he thinks he needs to I guess is down to just how much ahead he thinks he is at this stage - but I think it’s too early to be complacent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭uptherebels

To hit new notes, he would actually need some policies. Some ideas, some concepts. He doesn't because he doesn't have any.

Blame foreigners, cut taxes for his friends, leech from the federal purse. that's the limit of his ability.

Anything that a normal candidate would use is always just a week away

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tarvis

if Trump fails to get the votes in November will he accept the result?

OK in fairness he has no policies new or otherwise🤪

- I know he’s “promising” opening up new oil wells so I assume that’s his two fingers to the green agenda .

It was a strange statement to make at the start saying he wanted to reunite the whole country- and then revert to type - it made no sense to me at the time to do this - but now that I’m thinking back, unless he figured it would be this part of the speach that would get repeated in news bulletins - which of course it did - maybe not so thick afterall

If it’s anyway close, no he won’t - I think we’ll get an idea of just how Trump thinks he’s doing about 2 weeks out from election day- if he’s talking about voter fraud blah blah blah then for me that’s a sign he thinks he’ll loose - if he’s way ahead I doubt we’ll hear a word about that end of things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭nachouser

I will be disappointed if he isn't shilling Make Ears Great Again bandages on some website soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭bog master

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Didnt he promise coal jobs last time round?

Saying what he thinks republican voters want to hear and having actual prices are completely different things

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

He said he would if it was a fair election, so that would be a no again.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tarvis

So four more TantrumP years while the planet burns. Puts Nero’s fiddling in the halfpenny place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,655 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Redliketoast

Post after post of anti Trump rubbish. Not one serious poster between the lot. No real interest in discussing what a Trump Presidency actually means for the better or worse. But no surprise, its the same boards friends in here all trying to get the most thanks. Like genuinely, this is the reason so many people were "shocked" when Biden messed up the Debate. Nobody who watches both sides of the argument was actually shocked. The Biden edits only happen in Biden friendly media.

Yes Trump is scum. Yes he has a billion things wrong with him. But instead of just coming in here and regurgitating the same rubbish over and over, why not try to understand why 74 million people voted for him in 2020 and why he is even more popular now? Saying they are dumb just misses the point. It is not a debating tactic. At least not a good one.

I bet none of you even know why Trump is popular. I wonder how many reports ill get here. Maybe one of the mods will find some bs to give me a warning on. Typical nonsense that makes this forum boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Babyreignbow

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Rightio. Why do you think he got 74 million votes? Why do you think he's popular? Would you care to actually share your thoughts or are you just going to work in generalisations like most people who come here accusing people of posting rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Redliketoast

I dont know if one person can know the actual answer. It is only through debate and actual open dialogue that an answer to that can be established. A "reasonable" answer at least. It is the one thing that truly annoys me about the dems in the US. When they lost 8 years ago, they didnt bother asking that very question. "Why" did he get so many votes.

As I said I can only give my opinion. It doesnt mean I am right at all. But by people discussing, then maybe an acceptable conclusion can be drawn.

I think* he is popular because he has made it "us" (Non politicians) against them (actual politicians). Just look at his party now. They look closer to the centre than the left do. The working class seem to be more on his side. That WWE as an example.

Some here will remember the story line of Stone Cold Steve Auston against Vince Mcmahon. For those who look down on that comparison, just think, a very powerful boss who doesnt really care about his employees. Then an employee who rebels and gets his chance to fight him. That story line was successful because it resonated with the common person. The person who has a sh*t job and feels like they get no thanks for it. Its the same thing here. "The Government" are all in it together. "They dont care about you". "I am going to get rid of them and drain the swamp". Yes of course the low IQ will be all for that. But so will the working class common person. They will see the high taxes they pay. They see the cost of living go up. They are tired of the same political promises every 4 years. Its the Stone Cold Vince storyline all over again but played out in real life. Thats why the court cases make his fans dig in. They see "Stone cold" getting arrested. Thats part of my theory. There are a few more reasons but I think that one is a big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,581 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

He seems back to his best 😁

• Advertisement

From the start, this thread has been trying to understand why Trump is so popular. Its true there is post after post of discussion negative to Trump, but that is mostly because it is virtually impossible to say anything positive about him. If there were anything positive why have the Trump enthusiasts not mentioned it?

In virtually every case his apologists come on and do what you have just done, they complain about the bias against him but don't give any convincing reasons why we should have a more positive attitude to him.

Please, instead of throwing insults around and daring mods to warn you (for what? Be civil and you won't get warned) give us some actual meat to discuss.

'Saying they are just dumb is missing the point' - ok tell us what is the point? What should we be aware of that we have apparently missed?

Advertisement