Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I like the follow up

if we get a significant profit on our record signing a year later when maybe he didn’t live up to expectations then ok otherwise keep hold and hope for a better season in year 2 similar to how Bailey stepped up last year.

Some places were reporting that the Saudi's already had a medical scheduled for Friday they were that confident. Then reports came out saying Villa were looking for 60m sterling for Diaby when they had been offered closer to 46 (55m euro was what had been reported. Now Romano is again reporting on it saying negotiations are advancing with Villa and that they are close to reaching an agreement.

Reports from the time of the deal had it as being around 51m sterling Villa were paying Leverkusen for him but transfermarkt have it down as 55m euro. Not sure which is true but let's just go with the latter because after the fact reporting is often more correct and because if he is sold I doubt all the add ons will be paid.

60m sterling in euro is 71.5m - If Villa can get anwhere near a 16m euro profit on him after one not that special season, you can see why it would be hard to turn down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

I'd really prefer if we held onto Diaby. The potential is there and I'd back him to have a really good second season.

The money being quoted isn't a huge profit at all. It doesn't make much sense to me really unless his attitude is poor and the club are happy to break even and replace him.

I think I am just trying to rationlize because although I don't want Diaby to be sold the rhetoric being used in all the reports make it seem like it is a certainty despite how one would think Villa would not want it.

These are lines from the reports I just looked at:

made a second verbal bid closer to the Villans' valuation. Talks are now ongoing over the structure of the deal.

Diaby has been offered close to €15m per season and a signing-on bonus of around €2m by Ittihad. 

Aston Villa star Moussa Diaby is putting pressure on head coach Unai Emery to sanction his Villa Park departure 

I'd prefer if this wasn't happening but if he wants out and Villa can turn a profit of 10M+ sterling on our record signing after 1 season and replace him with players who maybe can have more of an impact than he did… then I can accept it especially if his head has been turned.

Now is when I get fanciful to make myself feel better about it but…We could potentially sign both Crysencio Summerville and Maximilian Beier with that money just to name 2 we have been recently linked to. Both of those are reportidly on less than 20k a week at their current clubs too unlike the reported 130k a week Diaby is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Just an FYI - all 3 jerseys from last season are now on sale at Sports Direct in S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL, 4XL, 5XL for €26.40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

3-0 tonight. 2 from Rogers in the first half, emptied the bench at half time and Louis Barryscored the third.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yes it was a good evening train stopped outside the ground, plenty of covered and seated fan zones around the ground about five minutes queue to get a drink at peak times, the facilities were far better than Villa Park. Both sets of fans were mingling together so a very friendly atmosphere.

With respect to the game all the players looked fit and I wouldn’t analyse it any further, though I wonder what the plan is for Louie Barry and Dendoncker who both played.

Lots of love for Albert Adomah who came on for them 2nd half.

Barry had been linked recently to a season long loan with Birmingham in league 1

He’s had a couple of loan spells and a few injuries and at 21 if he’s going to be a PL player it needs to start happening for him soon coming from Barcelona via Albion there was a lot of expectation around him.

Of course we shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that the PL isn’t the be all and end all it’s still a massive achievement to play in any of the 3 lower leagues.

I didn’t realise he’s got dual English and Irish citizenship

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Yeah he's running out of time to make a breakthrough. Considering the age players breakthrough now versus the expectation around him, he's already not lived up to it.

• Advertisement

I think Barry has had big injuries during most of his loans. He got screwed at Ipswich where he wasn't played and had to be recalled and sent out to Swindon.

Might be another big prospect that we've failed to deliver on. Imho, all the lads we are stroking from West Broms academy are being badly advised making the move. The route to first team must be easier there and the long term earnings will be based on getting games young.

3-0 today. Bailey, Rogers and Archer.

Rogers turning into an amazing signing. Had a great half season and looking like he's on the up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

He has looked a class above everyone else so far. You can't make too many conclusions from a couple of pre-season friendlies (but I'm about to 😛). He is clearly still progressing.

Of the rest, there have been a few decent showings from youngsters like KKH, Barrenechea, Barry and Kaden Young that won't have done them any harm.

I'm still concerned about RB. Nedeljkovic looks like decent acquisition and he looks physically ready but he was caught out of position a few times. Cash is Cash. Plenty of energy but played them onside at one point that seems a recurring theme for him, and getting caught out totally by the bounce of the ball at the end should have led to a goal. Not good enough for a CL team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

new Jersey launch Tuesday 23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Seems like Fabrizio Romano has confirmed the Diaby to Saudi deal is essentially done. €60m euro is the number quoted, I'm not clear if that includes add ons, but either way is a decent profit on a player that was expensive, so hard to turn down.

I'm disappointed not to get to see him have a second season to see if he could kick on. He didnt really pass the eye test for me. Thought he struggled to impose himself in some games. However, its hard to deny his stats: 10 goals, 9 assists, 54 games, etc.

Ultimately, I just dont see him in the starting 11 when everyone is fit, and we cant really just leave a player of that value sitting on the bench.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Onana signed sealed and delivered.

stripes make it look more retro.

Good promo with Ozzy and Geezer Butler, but not a fan of the jersey, wasn't expecting to be though.

Thats a great ad! Really well done! I like the jersey too!

• Advertisement

ad link btw.

https://x.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1815643196623360335/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1815643196623360335&currentTweetUser=AVFCOfficial

Love the video but the blue on the jersey is very watery for my tastes. The colours a bit Burnley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Great to see that the Ladies will play their league fixtures in VP next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

I like the kit but I don't like it enough to part with €100. That is eye watering.

Hermoso liked the Villa kit launch video according to a few people on twitter.

I remember reading that before he became an official free agent villa had essentially agreed a deal with him but were hoping to move on a CB with Diego Carlos being the one strongly linked to a move for around 5m. Those links went quiet as did the Hermoso ones and him to Napoli gained speed again although the suggestion was they might not be able to match our wage offer.

Would make sense to me if we need to move a CB out before signing him unless Konsa is to just be a RB and Carlos would be the obvious one to move on especially with Mings being eased back.

• Advertisement

Hermoso is a left sided centre back though. I would doubt he would be happy to be back up / rotation for Torres. And then there Mings in that position (though we dont know how he will do post injury yet).

Hermoso is 29. If anything i would have though we would go for a young left sided CB as back up, in case Mings struggles. And then sign a more experienced right sided CB to replace Carlos.

unless Unai wants to have more options in terms of sometimes playing 3 at the back with WBs flying forward I’d agree with his being more of a left sided CB than Carlos making him not an ideal like for like replacement.

Whatever happens though Villa’s spending does mot seem to be done though as you would expect us to be using the Diaby money even if it was for a slightly different profile of player (more a no.10 type than winger given we already brought in Philogene and often play with only one out and out winger (Bailey normally) plus Duran looks to be pushing his way out the door and could potentially be joined by Archer if someone comes looking as I doubt he’d want to be 3rd choice and we’d probably want a better Ollie alternative.

Between Diaby, Duran & Archer you're taking about around 100m in sales there. Wouldn’t be surprised to see more links to Semih Kılıçsoy or Maximilian Beier surfacing again especially if all the Felix talk proves as difficult as it might be (wouldn’t be surprised if he holds out as long as possible before moving to the midlands if that’s the main option on the table).

I think we are definitely going 3 at the back. We were terrible in the air last year especially around set pieces.

I wasn't complaining because we were good enough to outscore practically everyone even if we did let one in and Pau was a huge part of how we opened teams up despite being a part of the frailty at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Villa only have 3 fit centre backs (and I don’t think Mings is returning to fitness anytime soon) and one of them is Carlos, so 3 at the back would be a massive challenge at the moment.

True, just reading into the links for tons of CBs.

Diaby is officially gone. He just posted it

• Advertisement

I don’t think Maatsen or Cash have much experience playing as a wing back in a 5 either. I’d expect it to be 4 at the back with 3 in the middle, considering all of Barrenchea, Barkley and Onana have been brought in to bolster the midfield area.

Onana was one of the best (if not the best) midfielders in the top 5 leagues for aerial duels. He will be a great addition for set pieces. It will be like having a 3rd CB in there.

I agree with CSF, i dont see us going with 3 at the back.

I think the Maatsen signing will likely see a tendency towards him being the attacking full back, with Konsa often being the more defensive RB. Although I’d hope that Torres’ partner is someone better than Carlos also.

Karim Adeyemi is the newest player linked and West Ham have apparently bid 30m plus an (at least in the report I read) unnamedyoung player for Duran.

Sounds like Felix may just happen

Lewis Orford and it seems to be a bit controversial.

A lot of West Ham fans upset that it is Lewis Oxford being offered in the deal. West Ham up to 32 million and Oxford trying to meet the 40 million that Villa seem not to be budging on.

It's a bit crazy because it looks like Duran is doing everything to not stay but West Ham are still upping the offers. This is like the FOMO that played out during Sunderland til I die and Will Grigg

Is Duran gonna end up being a superstar and we’ve just never really seen it in a Villa shirt?

• Advertisement

He's also got a bit of a Balotelli about him so he could be amazing but extremely volatile.

We've rejected the latest bid according to Romano.

32 million, Orford and a sell on clause doesn't meet the 40 million we want

You’re buying potential with Duran, it could go either way but given his amount of PL game time my value for him would be 20 mill tops. It’s like Carney Chuckewema once he’s gone he’s no longer relevant to Villa.

I say this as Diaby was respectful and thanked Villa for his time here yet it does seem that Duran can’t get away quick enough.

Post edited by pavb2 on

This is one where we can get too clever and West Ham just walk away. Now I’m not privy to what’s going on behind the scenes but it looks like Duran wants out and Emery also wants him gone. We could be left with an unhappy player through wanting a couple of million extra profit. I hope it all works out and Monchi has read this correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Felix even if I feel he could be an ambitious risk returned to Atletico for preseason but is being made train alone. Think they are going to want his situation dealt with earlier rather than later and this move could be more likely than some might expect to happen if they are hoping to force him out. Being wanted by someone like Emery should be appealing to someone in his position and speaking of position the Diaby AM / almost a second striker no10 behind Ollie type role should be perfect for him.

makes sense but some reports are suggesting Newcastle and perhaps even some Saudi clubs are showing interest in him too. I’d hope there are multiple interested parties anyway if they are going to continue to play hardball with a want away player.

He's not on huge wages so I'd imagine they are happy enough to hardball it considering Duran and his agent are pushing for a move somewhere, otherwise he can go into the bomb squad. Maybe that would be the kick up the arse he needs.

I think there are question marks over Joao Felix, it would be a risk.

• Advertisement

I’m kind of hoping for a loan with an obligation to buy if he hits targets. Otherwise yeah it’s a risk but as I said previously it’s an ambitious risk and one that I’m now starting to believe will happen. Maybe him plus that Turkish young fella but we definitely need reinforcements upfront

Advertisement