Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Talk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭The Mist

Can't see a model X thread.

Been watching YouTube reviews and auto lane change is featured in most reviews. Was that standard in 2017? I know this is only included on EAP in the newer cars...

Looking at buying a 172 model X.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Would be the same. Enhanced auto pilot. I had it on both my old MS’s. From memory, it’s called something different, like highway…. Or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

My insurance is up next month and I am seeing some serious anti-Tesla bias from insurers. I tried to get quotes from several insurers/brokers to best my renewal on my 22 Model 3 which went from €475 to €600. No changes to my circumstances, other than I am a year older and the car is worth less. Here's what I was looking at for fully comp.

Aviva €600

123.ie €700

Chill.ie €955

AA €600

AnPost €695

Axa 955

Quote Devil €895

Supervalu €995

Kennco €935

Best Quote €935

And I got no quote messages from

Allianz, its4women, Liberty, AIG, Zurich, FBD, Bonkers, Liberty.

When I changed to my 2018 Leaf, everywhere quoted and they were about 20-30% less than the ones that quoted the Model 3.

I replicated the same issue with the Model Y and Model S. Very similar quotes to the Model 3 and no quotes from the same ones that gave no quote on the 3.

I then checked a BYD Seal and Mustang Mach-E and found no issue getting quotes, some of which were cheaper than the 2018 Leaf!!! WTF is going on here?

Allianz give the excuse that the Model 3 refusal is because of the power of the car, but they have no issue insuring far more powerful EVs despite the clear winning safety aspects of the Model 3/Y over the competition. I've heard of insurers being biased against Teslas before, but hadn't really experienced it. Only Allianz and Zurich wouldn't quote last year, with all others quoting.

Strangely enough my RWD M3 shows up as a Long Range model on half the sites. Can't fix it either.

EDIT: After all that, I just got a new quote from Aviva for the same price as last year. Lowered the excess to €125 which added another €20ish to the price. This time the correct RWD version showed up, where previously, only Long Range showed under the reg plate.

Post edited by ...Ghost... on

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭allinthehead

My Rwd shows up as a performance version, questioned my insurance company about it and they said it makes no difference to the price 🤔.

☀️

Just in case… I drive a model y and pay the minimum premium with full comprehensive= €310.

I'm 41, no claims ever and house and wife insurance are with them too, but yeah... Our second car is a 2015 auris and insurance is €340, so no anti-tesla stuff there I don't think.

Thanks gumbo, I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

Who are you insured with? The last time I had companies refusing to quote was when I was rear ended 10 years ago and claimed through the other persons policy for same. The bolloxology logic they used at the time was that the other party could open a claim against me even though it was a clear no fault on my part. I had 4 years of high premiums because some cnut ran into the back of my car, writing it off and leaving me with a permanent back injury. Anything over 7 years they can't even search due to GDPR rules, so isn't relevant.

I'm your age. Wife is also insured with Aviva on the 2018 Leaf. No claims history to mention. 3 points for speeding which expire next March. I think the price I paid is reasonable which includes NCD protection and a lower excess.

The quotes were only problematic for the Teslas, hence my thinking there is a bias there. Clearly they don't like your Auris either 😂.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Who are you insured with? The last time I had companies refusing to quote was when I was rear ended 10 years ago and claimed through the other persons policy for same. The bolloxology logic they used at the time was that the other party could open a claim against me even though it was a clear no fault on my part.

My answer to that sh1te would be to ask was there a claim against me, then when answered in the negative, ask for a certificate of NCB and tell them to shove their policy where the sun don't shine and walk.

They charged you extra for an imaginary claim. Any chance they refunded you when the imaginary claim failed to materialise? Why would you reward that crap by continuing to insure with them for another four years?

• Advertisement

When they ask if you've been involved in accident in the last "x" number of years, they ask "regardless of blame". Lie to them and you could find your situation with insurance becomes a lifelong shafting. It's ridiculous, but if you are in an accident and it is crystal clear you are not at fault, they still use the open claim and the recent accident history against you. Moving to another insurer is possible, but is prohibitively expensive.

People choose not to tell insurers about open claims if the accident was not their fault, but they are effectively not insured. Sure, the insurer would have to pay out a third party claim, but they would come after you for the bill after unearthing the fact that the insurance was taken out under false declarations. It boiled my blood and no…I received no refunds after the claim was settled. I reckon the extra loading cost me in the region of 5k over the period. So whether you are at fault or not, the insurance companies win on both sides. It's a cartel.

Stay Free

That's crazy 😧 . I'm sorry about that.

Sorry, I'm with Aviva too. Just weird how it all works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭sk8board

there’s no “anti-Tesla bias from insurers”. Zero.

The cost of insurance claims for Tesla cars is high - so the premiums will match that higher cost of the book of business.

The reason the premiums are climbing now versus previous years is simply a result of more on the road, and more accident data.

It’s discussed here every few weeks. It’s honestly that simple.
    Tesla’s are more expensive to repair, both for parts, labour, but also shortage of parts mean longer courtesy car rentals - and those rentals run about €1k/wk for a model Y size equivalent.

I see this posted a lot. Yet the Facebook group is full of people paying mid €300’ish for policies, myself included as from Allianz, (347 on M3P) who wouldn’t quite Ghost above. Aviva seem to be quoting excellent on the group for some and bad for others.

I know there’s statistical data at the root of premiums but my god it makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,353 ✭✭✭markpb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭josip

But arent you on a group/small company policy the rest of us cant get?

• Advertisement

Yes, after September 2014, they were capable of getting AP. My 2014 car was called Highway something or other. My 2016 had EAP.

Nope, multi cars with the same company. Anybody can get it. I’m with them 6/7 years now so I wouldn’t leave for the fear of not getting the multi car discount again. Also utilise them for everything, house insurance across a 3 properties which helps. I’m pretty sure I’m on the max discount!

I just can’t put any cars on it that are “vintage”. I had to go to campions for that.

Here’s the most recent from the group.
    MY - €350

M3 - €310

An Post €387

MY - €337

That’s just 4 posts in the recent week I’ve removed the screenshots as they are from FB

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

pretty sure you are not meant to post screenshots from a private group into a public forum.

What goes on your stays on tour

Yeah fair point. It was to illustrate the quotes available. But I’ve removed the screenshots just incase.

totally.

People are far too myopic when it comes to things like this - we only see our own car and our own profile, and assume that the insurance company is looking at it the same way. Yes that’s a lot of the calculation, but also their costs of claims are spread across all premiums.

It’s more dumb than people think it is, and probably that’s why we say it makes no sense on an individual basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jobrien19

I work for an insurance broker and the large majority of insurers will not quote for any model of Tesla. No ifs ands or buts. Doesn't matter what model it is, what BHP it is, value or year. They don't care if you have 0 driving experience or 20 years claims free. Out of around 20 insurers we deal with you would be lucky to get maybe 2 quotes from those 20 and that would be people who are the perfect risk profile ie. location, age bracket, claims history etc.

Most don't even provide a reason they just blanket say we refuse to offer quotes for Tesla's.

absolutely- but the point is that it’s a business decision based on either claims and/or risk due to unknowns.

It’s not an “anti-Tesla bias”. They don’t really care enough for it to be anti anything 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Sounds like something the regulator should be looking at.

It takes a lot of pressure, media attention and Government committees for insurance companies to make any changes and even then, it's kicked down the road and is glacial in speed.

Stay Free

Hi guys, any significant differences between a 172 (august) and 182 (September) model X I should be aware of?

The 172 had the MCU upgraded to V2 already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaModel3/s/QlJqmAuwP6

Sounds like this guy is having an awful time with Tesla Dublin.

The everything-through-the-app approach works great when it works but it's infuriating when it doesn't. I can only imagine the frustration that person went through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,825 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

LOL, just get the windscreen fixed elsewhere and lodge a case in the small claims court. Costs €25. Tesla will pay up before it goes to court, they always do. They will pay all costs, including the SCC fee.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Digging up reddit posts? really, what has this to do with Ireland SCs?

• Advertisement

a car is a massive purchase for so many people. With Tesla you’re running the gauntlet. You’ll probably get lucky, but you might not.

the Tesla model works on the basis of never wanting to see that car again after your delivery day.

pay your money and take your chance.

this problem might well get worse, as more and more cars get older, need assistance, service, repair, or whatever - never mind what will happen when you want to sell or trade it in for another.

The Reddit poster has a problem with Tesla SC in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I have a positive story to share about Shane going above and beyond in resolving issues in my wife's car on Monday. Going by a sample size of two now, one good, one bad, then the service is probably in line with all other oems.

(This is intentional satire).

Thanks

I've had numerous, sometimes very expensive, stuff fixed in my previous Tesla under warranty, for free. Always got a loaner car (mostly better / more expensive than my own car) with free fuel and free tolls. Even when the car was almost 8 years old.

Unfortunately every man and his dog own a Tesla these days and the service center is simply not up to the work load any more, they need to expand. Growing pains. The supply chain of parts is a structural problem though, that has always been bad and there is no excuse for it

Oh and my over 7 year old current car is booked in to get all cameras upgraded to the latest tech ones. For free. What other car brand has ever offered anything like that?

Exactly my point.

The product is excellent. The after sale service is hugely hit and miss - and “no”, the big OEMs are not like this. Tesla need to expand their post sale service, and it’s the very last thing they want to do.

Just buy the car and go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hardly digging anything up when it's posted on the r/evs_ireland page and it specifically happened in Ireland.

I don't think it is deliberate like you insinuate. Up to maybe 2-3 years ago the Tesla service was quite good. At least on a par with the "big OEMs" and in many ways better (except parts supply). The size of the service organisation simply hasn't grown enough given the fleet growth

You only have to look at the big OEM threads to see issue with their service departments too. The Facebook groups are littered with issues too.

I’m getting date I. September from bmw for service work and that’s when booked it in 2 weeks ago. VW ID headlight DRL failure. €1800 and 4 month wait.

my experience is that it’s widespread across the motor industry, most likely due to staff shortages.

1800 quid for a headlight? And this is supposed to be progress?

☀️

• Advertisement

I known out of warranty now as it’s a 2021 model. It’s not mine btw, it’s a mates. I’m scouring Ireland and UK for a replacement. VW have washed their hands of it. The DRL strip led has faded so failed NCT (PSV).

Ffs, bring back simple halogen bulbs. Much better for the environment too despite using more energy.

☀️

No expert on the Model X but MCU2 came in at some stage in 2018 on Model S. I expect it is same for Model X. But the older one you are looking at already has MCU2, so not an issue

Of course the 2017 will run out of battery / drivetrain warranty in a bit over a year and the 2018 has another year left after that

And giving out terrible yellow light, thanks but no thanks I'll never go back to owning a car with halogen lights again.

You might change your mind if you had to fork out for a couple of replacements.

☀️

The joys of motoring I'm afraid. One of those things you'd have to just suck up.

• Advertisement

im not saying its deliberate at all - im saying what you said - testa didn’t scale the service to match the sales, at all - but they aren’t going to rush to do that either, considering the pressure on margins and the SP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭listermint

45 percent profit slump. He's really having a serious impact on perceptions and sales despite people pretending to ignore that he isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭maidhc

it’s not Elon. The S and X are old hat, the 3 and Y are “grand” and the cybertruck is daft. In two years the S and X will be gone, the 3 and Y will be old hat, and who knows the outcome. Even Mercedes only knocked about 10 years out of the w201 and w124 and that was a very different time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭listermint

American customers are actively disassociating themselves from the brand though.

You've your Irish hat on.

This has nothing to do with their older models.

I think it has to do with more supply and choice. Tesla were never and can never remain No. 1. Not with the choice available now. It would be silly to knock them purely because they are not at the top consistently.

They will be up there in the tables just as VW will be, MG, Kia, Hyundai and BYD. Obviously the Germans will be high up if they can get their act together in time.

The figures constant decreasing sales across all EV’s. Not just Tesla. It would be more beneficial to do the below comparison in August if I’m honest as many of the legacy dealers will hold the June cars for 1st July registrations where Tesla won’t so that explains the sharp drop off in May, June etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement