Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

there’s every reason to believe that it would - it establishes that it is a vehicle in NI not GB.

so long as you are happy with the (very small) risk that the U.K. would charge you with creating a false instrument - up to 10 years. There are simpler and more moral ways of reducing your tax liability. There is a Boards charter which prohibits the promotion of illegal activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭User1998

Its not something I’l be partaking in as I can already buy VAT qualifying vehicles from the UK. I’m just stating that Revenue are unlikely to process the VRT free of VAT and customs when the car is registered in your own name using an address in the North. But thanks for the heads up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

quick question on this guys.

I’m going over to collect a car for my sister next week. I will be registering it in my sisters name who lives up in NI.
    will the dealer in the uk just do a standard sale and post the v5 to the dvla who then issue the v5 to my sister in NI?

I’ve always bought for export so always left with the v5 so not sure on this situation.

Basically, is there anything different to do getting the car from uk to ni?

thanks.

It can also be done online in the UK, so they will either fill out the logbook or do it online. Either way a new V5 will be posted but I think it takes up to a month to arrive in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That’s no problem at all. I just wanted to make sure there was no obscure treatment when buying a UK car into NI.
    Thanks for the reply 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mikeoc85

hi everyone,

Apologies in advance for what is likely to be an annoying question but I’m incredibly confused by the whole importing situation and the more I read the more confused I become

anyone have any idea of an estimate to bring this car into Ireland assuming it has been registered privately in Northern Ireland for 3 months at some point? Hybrids are exempt from some import charges and now there’s another exemption for cars in NI since May?
    https://www.usedcarsni.com/2020-Land-Rover-Discovery-Sport-1-5-P300e-R-Dynamic-HSE-5dr-Auto-5-Seat-343082402?search_type=1&make=14&fuel_type=6270282&age_from=2020&price_from=0&user_type=0&model=0&trans_type=0&age_to=2020&keywords=&location%5B%5D=0&body_style=0

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mikeoc85

apologies you’re right, there’s lower VRT on them compared to a diesel. Is the rest of my post correct?

Basically its just what’s on the VRT calculator we’d be liable for

Assuming its been registered in the North for some time then yes.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have a link to a Revenue document outlining the exact rules around vintage cars. I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

I’m trying to VRT a car that was manufactured in 1994 but only registered in 1999 and I’m wondering if it will qualify for vintage VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say ask in the Classic Cars subforum, someone bound to know there.

it’s the date of first registration wherever in the world. Manufacturing date won’t matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Post edited by Esel on

Not your ornery onager

I thought I saw people get vintage tax from date of manufacture so was thinking VRT would be the same. I’l try the Classic forum too, but appreciate the responses so far.

My mistake, edited thanks

Not your ornery onager

perhaps my memory has become faulty as now I cannot find the statement. The requirement is to get the car into the definition of “listed vehicle” and the statutory requirement is that it be “a vehicle (other than a motorcycle) which is shown to the satisfaction of the Revenue Commissions to be more than 30 years old at the time of registration”. In this case registration means Irish registration.

I can’t find any current stated Revenue guidance that it is the year of first registration although I know this has come up before and that was the result. The position is at least arguable that if the manufacture date can be established (which would often not be the case for 1960s and 1970s vehicles when VRT was first being administered) that an earlier practice of using the only available documentation, ie first registration, can be put aside.

For User1998, I think you should have a good shot with this one but if there is an unpublished Revenue procedure than you may need to go to appeal to get it to €200. That would require funding the VRT upfront to make the appeal.

Thanks for the info, its strange I can’t find anything online relating to vintage VRT and I’m usually good at finding and studying Revenue VRT documents. The car is an M3 so I’d be taking a big risk buying it and hoping for cheap VRT. I asked Greenhills VRT and they had no clue so I’m going to ask Ballymount VRT today

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Piano22

If I buy a car in the UK and register it in a friends name in Northern Ireland, do I have to leave it in NI for at least 3 months before doing the VRT in Dublin or can I insure it and drive it on the UK plates in Dublin while I’m waiting to do the VRT?

Thanks for all the great information on this subject.

The car has to be in genuine private use in Northern Ireland. So either way its tax evasion. Plus the car should only be in Ireland for a maximum of 30 days on UK plates, and no Irish insurer will insure you on it for more than 30 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 GoonerWhitey

Thanks for the replies to my previous query. It turns out that the two cars I am interested in are both registered to companies in NI. One car is NI reg, Dec 2020 registered to a private company (guessing as a company car for an employee), the other is UK reg, Jun 2021 & registered to a car leasing company, but both have been used exclusively in NI by the respective employee/lessor. Does anyone know if the fact that they are registered to a company as opposed to a private individual is a show-stopper to import VAT/Customs free (both will be €0 VRT according to VRT calculator)? In both cases, the dealer has indicated a willingness to obtain written confirmation from the respective registered owner to say that the cars have been used exclusively in NI since new - would this wash with the VRT people to show the car has been in private use in NI? In addition, both cars have service history in NI garages, but too new for MOT testing. Contacted Revenue and they responded saying they couldn't answer specific scenarios, and "that each case will be considered on the basis of what would be a legitimate sale following private use for what could be considered as a reasonable period of time". Is the use of a company car or leased car considered to be private use?

MTIA

Simon

Just an update on this, VRT staff told me that since it was declared manufactured in 1994 it is considered a 01/01/1994 car. So vintage VRT will apply. So I bought the car and will take a chance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

you could potentially claim back the uk vat on the company car if it has never been registered privately. The dealer might not want to know about it but there are companies out there who will do it for you. Look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭deepimpact

Hi all, I'm looking at importing an EV from NI.

I've seen a UK reg in a Northern dealer for about €18,700. It is exempt from VRT, but I'm not so sure about the VAT.

If the car's V5 has an owner that was resident in NI for a "reasonable" amount of time, could the car be considered for VAT exemption?

The car is immaculate. 2 years old, 10k miles on the odo, highest spec I've seen in the model.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Luna84

Afaik it has to be owned by a private user from the north and not sit in a dealers yard since coming from UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭deepimpact

That's something I'm checking on at the moment.

Obviously, if it's import to sell, then it's a no.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Trondheim

There are lots of posts here trying to work out a way to buy a UK car, use a friend/cousin etc. in NI to register the car for 3 months and then bring it down here and escape VAT, import duties etc.

I have spent quite a bit of time wondering about that myself, so no judgement from me on the morals of trying to get around the system.

But i see multiple issues that are difficult to get around unless you are very close to the person in NI and a possible (albeit low likelihood) risk for both people involved:

1. The car needs to be insured when it waits for 3 months in NI. AFAIK, you can only insure a car that you own, so the person in NI who owns the car will have to insure it in their name.
    2. The car will need to be taxed in their name.
    3. #1 above means that unless they put you as a named driver on their insurance policy, you won't be able to drive it. If they do that and you have a claim, that impacts on their no claims bonus, future insurance premium etc.
    4. If at any stage in the future, they were subject to an audit by HMRC, there are a lot of official records of them having purchased and sold a car, without any money going into or out of their account. That is going to look strange. You might say that doesn't happen, but my father was PAYE public servant, my mother housewife and they were subject to a random audit from revenue.
    5. If you (the purchaser) were ever subject to a revenue audit, you would have a hard time explaining how €20K left your account in a sterling transaction and 3 months later you registered an import from Northern Ireland without any money leaving your account.

So it is possible, but there are a lot of difficulties, and considering the hassle that the person in NI has to take on, you would want to know them very well. My brother in law's brother lives there, and i meet him at family get togethers, but i feel like it would be a bit much to ask him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

If someone in the north has a car registered in their name for 3 months and then transfers ownership to another party in the south I don’t see any issues so long as they are not benefiting financially.
    The car doesn’t have to be taxed or insured as there is no mention of this anywhere, only registered.
    It’s your choice whether to insure it or not but if it’s parked up in a secure location then the risk is pretty minimal.

• Advertisement

Agreed. No need for tax and insurance, and theres absolutely no consequences for buying a car and exporting it 3 months later

Advertisement