Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

No, I'm not jumping to conclusions. I sought clarification from you several times and you eventually provided it, which is surprising as you usually use vagueness to protect your arguments from scrutiny. But now you've made it clear what your ramblings are fundamentally about.

You believe that anyone in the world should be able to travel to any port in the world, state they want asylum in Ireland, and then be boarded without documents alongside regular passengers. Funded by Ireland.

Apart from the enormous security and logistical risks your plan would cause for the entire world, it would cause utter social chaos in Ireland.

Your clarification of your beliefs shows that the most extreme and authoritarian people are not those who want to put the brakes on the International Protection scam but rather those who use virtue signalling to promote an immigration free-for-all.

I'd call it ignorance but it's worse. It's an utterly outrageous plan that could only be conjured up by a brainwashed ideologue.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭creeper1

It could well be about economic growth. An increasing population means more demand for housing, furniture for said housing, cars out the driveway for housing, demand for mechanics to service those cars etc

A declining population has the opposite effect, less demand for housing, less demand for furniture, less customers for car show rooms, less work for mechanics and so on and so forth.

That's why it's said without multiculturalism Europe won't survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I don't rent out property no.

Chip on your shoulder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

You literally pulled up an argument from another thread with another poster and expect me to dive into it here. I'm not engaging with you anymore so I'm just going to use the ignore function as you won't drop. Nice knowing ye 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭DaithiMa

A quick question for those who repeatedly claim that the vast, vast majority of the population are in favour of our current immigration policies.

Why is it that Roderic O'Gorman's department is so reluctant to consult with communities before filling hotels/fields/disused buildings and factories in towns and villages around Ireland with AS and IPAs?

Surely if the vast, vast majority of people are in favour of these policies there would be hundreds of thousands, if not millions, out counter protesting to ensure a warm welcome for the new arrivals. All I've seen is a report of a couple of hundred protestors (made up mostly of NGOs) that tore down the fencing along the canal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Absolutely not. I live in the real Ireland - one where I see friends & family emigrating, people still paying austerity/IMF taxes from 15 years ago, a cost of food/energy/housing crisis…..

I'm glad for you that you don't live in that Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Speaking of fabricated things has the journo who wrote this any actual proof or direct quotes from someone who has

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Lol.

You know you have lost the debate when you flounce out the door like that !

But fair enough I thought that was this thread as all immigration threads look the same and all that

.so apologies for that then .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Large majority of Population are against what ROG and the DOI are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Direct quotes from an unnamed Garda source.

Gardaí have uncovered a plot by far-right agitators to draw them away from protests by diverting them to false crime scenes.

Officers are monitoring the activities of a number of agitators who are suspected of inciting a mob to attack gardaí on Monday in Coolock, Dublin.

These agitators are now being investigated for a new tactic in which fake crime reports are made to divert garda numbers away from the scene of a protest.

“The new information suggests that a person will call in a fabricated burglary or robbery, leading gardaí to rush away from the protest to the scene of the alleged crime,” a source said.

“Once there, the officers will be confronted by a number of people – who have the potential to attack them – while others in the locality are calling in multiple other incidents described as ‘ordinary crime’ to divert gardaí from the actual protest. It’s an attempt to cause mayhem.

“It’s all about dragging resources away from the area where the policing is needed most – it’s an old Provo (IRA) tactic from the Troubles in the North.

“A co-ordinated, intelligence-led investigation under the command of an inspector has now been set up into this perceived tactic and it is being taking very seriously.”

Harris has some questions to answer though, about sending a bunch of newly qualified Gardai to the scene. None that have any riot training. And not even equipped with the proper gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,469 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Nail on the head.

"I've been dealt a bad hand so I'll say everyone else is struggling too" .

Too many people with the "Poor me" attitude in Ireland. People need to go and make their own successes in life. No excuses these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Miharo

I think so but they won't ask in case they get an answer they don't want. Even if they did, it would probably be a so called "public consultation" stuffed full of NGOs with an agenda. So if there was to be any pretence of an effort towards a national dialogue on this, I imagine it would just be for the usual optics of having consulted with the people when in reality the only people asked to participate are those that would support an already predetermined conclusion. The hate speech consultations were 70% against the proposed law and they outright lied about it.

My feeling is it is more lies when the same lines get trotted out constantly that the "vast majority of people want to support people fleeing war and persecution". And the lie isn't that that people support this. Im sure most people do. The lie is that he majority are "fleeing war and persecution". People don't support people who are abusing our system and stretching our services resulting in social unrest.

True public consultation on Migration is off the table since the 2004 Referendum on the Twenty-seventh Amendment of the Constitution. That has rankled with Progressives/NGO Industrial Complex in Ireland, and if the public is asked for a consultation, the result will be taken under advisement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Perhaps it's not as big an issue for the general population as people imagine? Vast swathes of the population live nowhere near a refugee centre and that's in both rural areas and urban areas. The protests in Coolock this week and the clashes with Gardai have been a far bigger story than the actual arrival of asylum seekers into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Oh right so it might or might not have happened once ….and good luck with diverting Gardai away from a protest mob for an 'ordinary crime' whatever that is, would be hard enough to do that on a lazy hazy Sunday afternoon never mind anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭nachouser

1: We need a zero refugee policy

2: ???

3: Zero refugees

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭prunudo

and a tactic used in films and crime drama's the world over. But it's nice for the indo to compare with the provo's, that should help more of the ffg base stay in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I wish! Had to settle for a balcony overlooking the pool for dinner. Off to a bit of karaoke now. Gonna sing my favourite song L'amour Toujours. The classics are the best!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭seenitall

hahahahaha :D

I stay out of this thread as much as possible but I just wanted to post the above ;)

Enjoy 🇬🇷

The begrudgers are busy complaining on the Internet, instead of using the Internet to create additional income for themselves.

It has never been easier to start a business or make money than it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I didn't say that at all. I think your need to be outraged just took you there.

What I'm actually proposing is to make coming here less attractive for those who might come to abuse the system, while treating those more likely to be genuine in a reasonable way, and one which has less cost and consequence for us.

I think it's the kind of alternative most people interested in an actual conversation about immigration would be interested in, but which the populist right etc do their best to shout out by screaming 'open borders'. Your own reaction and that of several others here typifying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Crown paints back on fire

https://x.com/ClonmelConcern/status/1814751371628794202

I don't think it will be used as an asylum centre any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,296 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That's 3 nights in a row now ain't it .

You cannot help but laugh at the incompetence of the security/Gardai but the Gardai should be doing real work instead of being the enforcers for this dreadful immigration policy

The Gardai looking over the wall bewildered at the smoke.

Pretty embarrassing for the force. If they can't protect one building that is probably the most obvious target in the country right now, do we actually think these lads can uphold the law when things really kick off?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,296 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I dont think any building can be safe, you might be able to stop individuals entering the site but how can you stop Drones carrying flammable devices, the Ukraine war has shown us what Drones can do and it's should pretty darn scary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Downlinz

It's NIMBYism, most are supportive or don't care but will find reasons for why it shouldn't be in their area. Exact same as social housing, student accommodation, even windmills. There's an endless list of developments Irish people like the idea of but will find reason to dispute them near their home.

The counter protest mention is surely not a serious point when people have seen footage of such demonstrations involving arson, objects thrown and people smashing up garda cars. That's a situation to leave for law enforcement to control, not a counter protest.

If you actually think the vast, vast majority of people are against this governments migration policy then why did government parties do so well in local and European elections? If they're so energized by this issue then why was the turnout one of the lowest in Europe?

Advertisement