Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 slash0683

To be honest I wouldn't know personally but was told early in the year that Limerick, Tipperary, Galway and Cork were the 4 standout teams coming up and were expected to be in the shake up at minor level in 24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Marrooned

well there you go as the year progressed KK were to the fore losing against Cork and turning it around a fortnight after, Limerick were never in the running, we were beating Galway all the way up underage with this group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Village87

Kilkenny finished bottom in Leinster, Kildare out up a really good show against them. Very hard to gauge minor this year, seems like there was 10 teams all similar level

Hold on, did Limerick not win out the u16 tournament in 23?

I don't know are you saying Kilkenny improved throughout the year to pass these teams or not?

ye well Limerick weren’t considered to be in the top three

• Advertisement

KK went from very hot to very cold in the championship league but they were considered to be in the to three

• Registered Users Posts: 36 neverbet

You say you want to insult nobody yet repeatedly refer to the members of the county board as Clowns🤔 you name check Niall Bergin and Richie Mulrooney as part of your critique of Niall's time thus far with the kk minors. Both the above have done incredible work with underage and adult teams in schools ,clubs and County. Likewise Mark Dowling with Club and County. The under 20 defeat to Offaly was disappointing but nothing like as bad as you and a few others on here would have us believe. People like these are selfless and give their time for the betterment of Kilkenny hurling. All the above are not above comment and criticism but also deserve respect.

So what are you going to do let the rot continue? And it’s after taking a nosedive and there doesn’t seem to be anyone doing anything about it . Do you go to many games yourself or are you another armchair supporter who just shrugs his shoulders when we are beaten and switches channels to watch the euros or the tennis. Anyone who is a KK man and remotely interested in hurling would know we are in a major crises. As I said previously these people volunteered for the jobs they just don’t know when to give up.If you went to any of the minor games this year you would know they were very poor on the line and kept making the same calls which hadn’t worked previously. I can’t go into this any further for fear of identifying young players which I try not to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Jaysus lads this is Kilkenny Gaa discussion thread and Marooned is entitled to his opinion. You don’t have to agree with him but no need to take his comments so personally either, lighten up a bit ffs.

A team that hammered a strong Cork team to win the u16 competition in 2023 weren't expected to be in contention for the u17 competition the following year? According to who?

Surely the best team at u16 level would be expected to be strong at u17 level the following year??

• Advertisement

Well it didn’t work out like that did it? They were knocked out of the round robin by Clare I think, young lads! Ye seem to be trying to catch me out yet you didn’t answer any of my questions

I was at a few of the matches, admittedly not them all but did changes from the line not work in some of the games?

Did switching Barcoe to wing back and bringing in the chap from Mooncoin at half time not change things against Galway in Leinster semi final?

Was at Leinster final and they were poor first half but played a much different type of game in the 2nd half against the wind to win. Was this in spite of management??

Were changes not made tactically against Clare after the first 10/15 minutes too???

No doubt whatever was tried in the All Ireland didn't work and they will have to hold their hands up for that but I don't think they were "very poor" all year

Some of the Mark Dowling stuff has been way over the top. That Offaly team more fancied than kk at the start of the year. Beaten by the last puck of a ball in minor All Ireland 3 years previously and beaten in the u20 AllIreland the year before with a large amount underage again this year.

I'm not trying to catch you out at all but it seems madness to suggest that Limerick weren't fancied to be there or there abouts at the start of the year after winning the u16 championship well the year before, hammering a strong Cork team in the process

• Registered Users Posts: 36 neverbet

I would say I go to as many games as you, to all levels club and County but don't feel the need to shout it from the rooftops. The rot you refer to is in your mind. We lost a minor All Ireland, lost an All Ireland senior by 2 PTS and under 20 to the All Ireland champions by 1 point. I am and was as disappointed as any Kilkenny hurling supporter. We won 11 of the 23 All Irelands contested this century ,6 more than our nearest challengers. We could not hope to continue that level of success.It goes in cycles only ours from 2000 to 2015 surpassed anything ever achieved in the game. I see green shoots again in our younger teams including the under 20s and am hopeful for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I agree with you. We cant dominate the way we did under Cody. Yes we are behind other counties but we also are a long way behind financially too. Small population and no Sugar Daddy. We probably outperform all other counties if you go by population. I get the frustration from others too. Its a drought but not a famine. I think Derek should have devolped the younger players this year and he will have to next year whether or not he trusts them. I would like ex players like Richie Hogan brought into the underage teams if it was something he wanted.

those all Ireland wins are 9 years ago it’s all about winning not being competitive. Would you have been happy contesting the all Ireland tomorrow and losing?

I’m trying to answer a few of ye and it’s not easy . Where I’m coming at in the minor is the players he picked and the players he didn’t pick now do you get me.i could contact you thru mail if you want to explain it to ye openly.

it’s not about being at the games or not I’ll have to take your word on that , but if you were you should know what I’m talking about the games wer Galway,Wexford,Dublin,Kildare,Galway,

Clare and Tipp and a couple of challenges against Cork and Tipp so I did see how they were progressing and I thought they were showing huge potential at times and should certainly be there or there abouts next year.two years ago I was in Portlaoise when Sean Bergin was sent off. I praised Niall for his actions that day when he received a yellow card I was hoping we would see that side of more often but alas no . On the objection to clowns in the county board you should try dealing with them. Nearly all my observations are based on my experiences. I don’t comment otherwise.

Do you know one time we always won some sort of an all Ireland every year be it senior, junior, intermediate U21, minor or even a league,to drop your standards shouldn’t happen and shouldn’t be acceptable. Every one agrees about the county board being frugal just look at the gift horse which was the electronic scoreboard and I listed earlier calamity after calamity things always need to be shaken up.

• Advertisement

going off to sink a few pints I’m hoarse after the day. Are any of ye coming.

just off the press U15 KK 2-20 Cork 2-10 more green shoots.

Did they not hammer Galway twice? You're hardly picking holes in those performances? We hadn't beaten Galway at minor in years…

If your issues are selection then thats fair enough, everyone has a different view there but you're not going to make many changes to a team that gets to an All Ireland in fairness…

Enjoy the pints, well earned today lol

U16s KK 0-22 Clare 1-16

KK 1-17 Cork 2-10 U15 and

Great progress today well done to all concerned.

I will would you not join me and talk about old times.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Box to box

I see oa few lads saying huw lawlor taking time out to travel next year. This will be a huge huge loss. Can anyone from o loughlins confirm if this is true or false. If he does go with the 5 or 6 lads it'll be a bigger rebuild than we expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Box to box

I have to agree with Marrooned here.kk have standards and there's a couple of lads here are happy enough to get bet by the eventual finalists or not be so hard on the management team. Yes I said the u17 and u20 needs to be looked at. The u20 team was in a good place after winning the all ireland with most underage the next few years. We couldn't get out of leinster for 2 years. That in any man's language is poor. There was enough lads here saying last winter they couldn't go with that half back line. Offally wing forward had 1-2 off Langton in the first 20 mins. Center back gave away 2 fress for barging and steps it was so clumsy. The chap in goal couldn't even hold the hurl and didn't look related to a hurler.

Most people I meet at matches give out about the kk county board so it isnt only 1 or 2 people giving out. Full of yes men.We must be the only top tier county that has to go another county to train because we showed no innovation10 years ago.offally have a great set up and duignan drove that on.won a football and hurling u20 all ireland. Its some going when you have the right people in the county board. Cork are getting a return from all their underage success they are doing this a long time. We are just so slow to do anything. Mick fennelly is only partime is he? I remember counties coming to kk asking for bluprints how we do it. Now we are years behind other counties and still havent got a proper training facility. This is a joke.The main Sponsorship more could be got. I know a competitor of glanbia offered to give thousands for a bit of sponsorship but were told no way because they didnt want to offend tirlan,We turned away that scoreboard. The horror show that went on in Carlow this year. Giving away home advantage.very mean when it comes to money. It was well publicised that when lyng wanted extra gym facilities for the u20 he was told he better win something now because this is costing us money. No way I've nothing good to say about the county board. They have made so many mistakes I would run the lot of them because we couldn't be much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Village87

Really looking forward to the final today. Two of the most exciting teams in the country with unbelievable fire power. Hard one to call.

• Advertisement

I hope it’s Clare .i just don’t want Cork to get a run on us

Advertisement