Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG 55NANO81T6A: Saorview and Freesat on the one TV?

• 20-07-2024 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

Apologies to the Gods of Boards.ie, i have posted a similar post on richersounds.ie, but i guess they are gone offline for a well earned weekend break and wondering if any of you can help me.

Lots of the LG TVs, including this one: https://www.currys.ie/products/lg-50ut81006la-50-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-amazon-alexa-10264100.html

are listed as having Freeview and Freesat tuners.

My current setup is a saorview enabled TV plus a humax decoder for freesat. I have an RTE Aerial and a Satellite.

Questions

a) If i bought the model above, could i get rid of the humax and have both signals going into the TV?

b) How would that work with the EPG? Is there an EPG that combines both sets of channels, or is there a way of switching between the two EPGs?

c) Currently, i have two coaxial cables coming out of the wall. One is split (call the wires from this S1 and S2) and one is not (call this NS). Currently, S1 and NS go into the Humax, and S2 goes into the TV. A HDMI cable then connects the Humax to the TV. The aerial was fitted many years after the satellite. My guess is that the two coaxial cables coming out of the wall carry the satellite signal, with one of them carrying both satellite and the terrestrial. Then the Humax gets two cables one with just satellite and one with satellite and terrestrial, using one for watching and the other for recording. The TV then gets one cable that carries satellite and terrestrial, but only uses the terrestrial signal for Saorview. So then, if the TV above works both, i could just feed it the cable that carries both signals and it will work it all out? Or is that hoping for too much?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭decor58

You could get rid of the box, the tv has terrestrial/Saorview and Freesat, setup broadcast as UK, with a UK postcode. Both are not on the same epg but switching is fast enough, when set up hold 1 for a couple of seconds and it sets Saorview to 1, 2 for Freesat. Some have said on here that renumbering the Saorview channels is not possible on some of the newer LG's, it is possible on mine. The only other issue might be recording, you can't watch one source and record another, though you can record to a HDD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CarPark2

Thanks for that. Is it the one coaxial cable that goes into the back, or does it take two (one for Sat, one for Terrestrial)?

So for recording, do you attach a HDD via a USB (would an SSD also work)? Does the TV recognise this automatically and offer recording?

Can you programme it to record something when it is on standby?

Can you record one programme and watch another (both on Freesat for example)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭decor58

Yeah two cables that part works fine, recorded to a hdd. It has to format the unit first buts that usual and records off the epg. You can NOT record one and record the other, also you can not view a recording while it is still recording, the programme has to finish before a recording can be viewed, we generally record on another tv as a result, works fine if you are out but not while viewing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There are two receivers in this type of TV - terrestrial and satellite - and the terrestrial will receive any channel it sees, but satellite will receive any channel it sees but will not see Freesat if the tv is set to Ireland. A separate cable and aerial is used for each. A UHF aerial for terrestrial and a dish for satellite. If possible, site both near the dish and use a combiner to share the one cable for the signal with a splitter at the TV.

To receive Freesat the TV must be set to UK and a UK postcode must be entered and this defines the region that is received. For London enter W1A 1AA, and for Belfast enter BT1 1AA.

However, setting the country to UK means Saorview scans into the 800s, and needs to be renumbered which can be tricky.

Setting the country to Ireland means the satellite programmes all satellite channels it sees, and there are loads of duplicates and all are in random order. Saorview channels scan correctly.

It is best to use a computer program to sort them out, either the Saorview ones if select UK as the country, or for satellite if you select Ireland as the country. The TV does not know where you are (currently).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

You're nearly there with the cables but not quite.

One cable carries just the satellite feed. The other cable carries the satellite and aerial feed. The Humax box takes 2 satellite feeds and the aerial feed goes to the TV.

While you could get rid of the Humax box after getting the new TV you will lose a lot of the good functionality of the box such as recording one channel while watching another, recording two channels at the same time (when not watching live TV), watching a recording while it's still in progress.

I have a similar set up in two rooms, it is fine for the kitchen, swapping between EPGs but I use a Linux receiver in the main room as it handles recordings much better. I rarely use the tuners on the TV unless there are two recordings in progress on satellite and I want to watch a third satellite channel (I have three satellite feeds to the main room).

• Advertisement
Advertisement