Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I think the standard for Kia was €1,500 delivery and dealer charge. Even if they were adding on for a servicing package that seems extortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I think I left my key in the car and somehow locked it. Darn thing won't unlock now with the second key or mobile app, any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Does it have an emergency physical key that pops out of the fob? I know the older model does, but I'm unsure about the new model. I'm pretty sure it should too.

Something like this, depending on the model

https://www.kia.com/nmc/en/owners/owner-resources/quick-tips/breakdowns-and-accidents/unlocking-your-car-when-smart-key-battery-is-dead.html

Thanks JohnC, yeah I just checked, I can unlock manually but it then triggers the car alarm. I think the backup key fob is dead as it says "Key not detected" when I then attempt to start it. God knows where the 1st has gone, isn't in the car 🤷🏻

Try pushing the start button with the actual keyfob. That's another emergency procedure for a dead fob battery. I assume it wirelessly transfers enough power to the fob to temporarily run the circuits in it.

• Advertisement

That worked! I guess I need to get a battery for the fob, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Minifox

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭vinniem

Hi all, quick question. My eniro 12V batt is on the way out, last few days if I don't lock car within a min or two the 12v goes dead. Luckily I have a Nocoboost GB40 which is a godsend and I've used 4/5 times in a few days. So is the 12 V battery anything special or can I go into any auto factors get similar sized one and fit myself? Also any issues disconnecting battery ie. Isolate from traction battery? Thanks Vinnie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭championc

No issues, drop it in like you would have done in an ICE previously.

But rather than the original 45Ah battery (in the MY20/MY21, the replacement is now a 52Ah. I got one a few weeks ago in Halfords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

My wife is looking at a Kia Niro EV brand new. She has also been offered the demo model which has never been driven just registered to the dealer so she would technically be the second owner. What sort of saving would make the demo model good value. Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Hard to put a number on it, but I'd start with 10% off. First year depreciation on a new car is around 20%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Also is the demo a K4? Can't be ordered anymore so would be another consideration as it would be higher spec than what you would get new.

Hi guys, I've an MY21 which on Thursday came up with refill inverter coolant reservoir, checked coolant and up to max so no leak. Then when I turn car off and on again sometimes does not come up. The collant was changed early last year as part of Kia recall. Is this message a serious issue or just a software issue. Error message pic attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭zg3409

Google (SA512) kia and see coolant recall pdf from USA. The concern I would have is that there is an airlock or blockage and the sensor sees not enough coolant or flow where it is located. The coolant cools the inverter for the motor so risk of permanent damage or weakening of the inverter electronics. There is often weeks of delays to get a dealer appointment so I would ring all dealers first thing Monday to get earliest appointment and try not drive car too much and at low speeds. They may not have performed the flush right. I would bring a printout if the SA512 instructions and try get them to do it step by step. It may be a sensor too. You can read up on the issue on loads of forums and niro Facebook groups. Lots of reports of going back to dealer 3 or 4 times.

Quick question, do you know if there was a blockage or no coolant would the temp in inverter/battery go so high it would turn inverter off and put car into limp mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭zg3409

I am not sure, it depends on where sensors are, where the blockage or airlock is. The main thing is the car is saying it's not happy which is not good.

I have a coolant question too, apologies Vinniem if I'm hijacking. I just got the car served in June and part of that service was "Invertor coolant change" and "2L EV Coolant B2C-2 Type" which was ~400 on top of the usual service. But when I topped up windscreen I noticed it was well below the minimum level (assuming the blue liquid is the same coolant 🤷🏻)

Should I just top up with a coolant from Halfords etc that's for EV's? Can't go back to the dealers for at least another week as am driving far away

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’d be asking the dealer why it’s missing so much first and what to top it up with.

You could just top up alright but make sure you don’t do anything that will stop the dealer rectifying it afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I had the exact same (few pages back on this thread, and others were the same there), and it's not an uncommon issue arising from an airlock in the coolant loop when they refill. Eventually the air bubble can be "burped" loose and finds its way back to the reservoir, as you see here. When I spoke to the dealer they confirmed my suspicion that if the level wasn't below the hoses, it's OK for a short spell, so my suspicion is that the min/max lines there are really to allow for such airlocks coming loose when filling.

Based on what I've seen in my reading, I absolutely would not put in another coolant you buy off the shelf.

Thanks @cython, that's what the dealer said too, just need to drop it back (or any other Kia dealer) and they'll top it up again 👍

Took the Niro on a 3,000+km trip around Scotland. No problems, even in the back of beyonds in the Highlands. Plenty of chargers. It was a great drive too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Anyone had their tyre pressure indicator switch on and if so, how do you get it off before I try this that I found out using Google?

36dpi seems high BTW.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Alarm won't go off until you put a significant change in pressure (eg to 36) and 36 is the recommended pressure for the Niro.

Tip: drive the car until the pressure shows up, don't turn off the car, pump the wheel until alarm goes off.

I've had ours ping on cold mornings and once the wheel warms up it's the same pressure as the rest of them.

I had one go to 30 once which set off the warning. I put some air in, up to 36 like it says on the sticker inside the drivers door. Drove. Problem solved.

Cheers,all 4 tyres now at 36, just gotta wait for the alert to switch itself off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Latest navigation and map updates are available for download for EV and PHEV. Includes support for Soundcloud, navigation and bluetooth improvements:

https://update.kia.com/EU/E1/updateNoticeList

Doss anyone else find the native Niro EV sat nav horrible to use? Normally use Waze instead.

• Advertisement

No, I've found it great. What's wrong with it?

Advertisement