Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tile job- should I ask for it to be re-done?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

By doing that you are assuming all tradesmen are married and hetrosexual.

Far too many snowflakes would find that question offensive.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

The direction comes in useful in the end.

It isn't only common to tiling, but regardless of how straightforward a job is, you have little comeback if a job done to mutual understanding and agreement turns out to have a few surprise twists.

The point being if the tiling requirements were documented then the question of whether the people should be called back or whether they should stand the loss wouldn't occur. They would clearly be at fault and wouldn't have a reason to argue otherwise.

There would simply be no way that I would place eight tiles on the floor as a pattern for the whole job.

Maybe if they were cemented down and grouted, it might have value as a reference, but I dealt with a lot of contractors and as a commissioning Engineer the misunderstandings between my company and the contractors doing the work kept me in a job.

Some of the things I saw and heard over the years were beyond belief. You can never assume that a job will be carried out the way you envisage unless you treat those on the civils side like a computer. Every step of the job written like a program.

It was an approach that reduced my companies exposure to blame when things went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

a gay tradesman wouldn’t have done such botched job. A far better eye for aesthetics..

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Couldn’t agree more . Due to pressure of my own work I have had “ tradesmen “ do work in my house over the years and the quality has been appalling. If I look at a job and say “ I could do better myself “ then that tradesman is rubbish.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"There would simply be no way that I would place eight tiles on the floor as a pattern for the whole job."

If I showed those 8 tiles to my 10 year old grandson and said, " There's only 3 colours, that's the pattern I want", he would know what to do.

Would you set out the whole floor for the tiler?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What if their wife died? It's not snowflakey to be respectful of people's unknown personal circumstances, it's just basic politeness.

Let's not lose focus here though, the tiling is still **** 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

That's offensive to all the non gay tradesmen, well the snowflaky ones anyway.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I would simply have removed uncertainty.

I would also have specified what grout to use.

I have been in at the end of problems too many times to allow for errors.

I have witnessed a lot of "blame games" too, when any excuse is used to delay or pile costs onto the job.

There is little lost by removing any margin for error and all to gain.

It really is that simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

and the gay ones, some of them probably have terrible taste.

And I'm sure there are plenty of tilers' spouses (gay and straight) who also have have terrible taste!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 completely confused

thanks folks, this has been extremely helpful.

to clarify, I laid this pattern out in front of both the builder AND the tiler. He was there to get the information first hand from me so it was not mis-communicated by the builder but he is certainly aware that what I’ve ended up with is not what was asked for. He said he has a solution for me that needs to be explained in person so on my next site visit we’ll see what he says.

• Advertisement

I appreciate in an ideal world you would go through each and every aspect of a renovation in minute detail, however we have gutted this house and there have been thousands of decisions that need to be made, there simply wouldn’t have been time to go to this level of detail with every single one. Also you clearly have professional knowledge of building and sites, we don’t, so are reliant on our builder to tell us when we need to be giving more detailed instruction to the tradesmen on site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

No pattern whatsoever with those tiles. What was the tiler thinking. Don’t feel bad about asking that to be redone.

I wish you all the best.

Fortunately it wasn't my money and time at risk when I was involved with site work initially, but I soon learned that for all the professional garbage spouted some are in the job simply for the cash and the work is just an incidental to raking it in.

I have a local builder, or used to, now his son does my work. I would place them toward the top of the list of people I have worked with over the years. Still, all One has to do is ask anyone in the surrounding villages to get recommendations as to tradespeople .

They do control every job, I don't give or need to give detailed instructions.

I consider myself oh, so fortunate!

I'm not sure about builders incidentally, but I always look up new companies and services on Trustpilot. They seem to give a good idea of what to expect and look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Seems like that tiler was following a pattern then lost patience for it on the edges. Was he drinking on this job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

looks bad butdid you buy twice as many white tiles as the other colours when you bought the tiles ie. 50% white 25%blue 25%yellow because if you didn't he wouldn't have been able to follow your pattern

Good point, in the first photo tiler appears to have used nearly twice as many coloured tiles as white ones

• Registered Users Posts: 7,613 ✭✭✭volchitsa

That's a fair point to make to the builder who instructed the tiler. It's not sensible to expect the customer to have to deal with the detail to the level of drawing out an entire floor plan of tiles - what'd be the point? The basic plan for the tiles was perfectly clear from the picture and I can't see what difference doing it all out on a PC would have made.

I agree with the posts above about the importance of starting points and cut-offs - but that's not what went wrong here.

yes there were 2 boxes of white, 1 blue and 1 yellow

We met the builder and he agreed that the job wasn’t done properly. He is going to re-do the job so I’m delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Well done 👏👏👏

just as an update, the tiles were redone and they look so so much better! Delighted I pushed for them to be changed, thanks all

• Advertisement

Nice,

now all you need is a kickboard under that cupboard to hide that one out-of-place blue tile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Awful poor work completed

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I'd say they're gonna put a bit of a kick-board on the bottom of that cupboard unit, so it doesn't matter as it won't be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭This is it

I'm not a tiler, and not to be picking it apart, but why have an small cut off at the doorway, surely start with a full tile and finish under the units with the cuts? Or maybe it's full tile behind the toilet.

Anyway, pattern looks far better!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

better but still not a great job. What’s that story with the 1 of tiles by the door?

He should have started with a full tile there and worked towards the units

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Well… there's almost, sort of a pattern in the original effort… Technically one pattern done twice. Nearly…

Starting top-left and working down one, then diagonally upwards and repeat;

Starting bottom-right and working left one, then diagonally upwards and repeat;

Starting to have some sort of mental fit;

Starting to master the art when it all literally and figuratively came together for a centrepiece.

I know nothing about tiling but the original job seems to have been done by someone on the first day of his/her apprenticeship - as plenty of people have already mentioned, a tiler's job is a lot about patterns!

The final result looks great 😀

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Hontou

Thanks OP. Seeing this job redone and looking great has calmed my OCD. (I can cope with the stray blue tile as it will be covered). I felt angry for you when I saw the botched job. There should have been no question or delay in it being redone and the tiler clearly was not experienced enough to do it. This was entirely your builder / contractors responsibility to fix. I'd say he was as shocked as you with the job. Maybe the tiler's references / work was not checked properly but it is reasonable to assume a tiler can cope with a pattern. As someone pointed out, a ten year old could see the pattern from what was laid out originally. @oneweb - well spotted. Maybe the tiler was trying too hard creatively.😃

Must have thought the saddle would cover them, pattern not followed there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

He followed the pattern with three of the tiles but then not with the other two. Absolutely bizarre.

All he had to do was put the two on the left the other way around.

It's a million times better than the original job but still, to have something like that on a redo of a job the customer was already unhappy with is just not right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm all for the rehabilitation of crackheads, but would rather they started with something a bit less challenging than my tiling 😃

Advertisement