Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Cork to catch fire tomorrow and light up Croke Park and Clare. Normally when these droughts end, they end in spectacular fashion. Cork fans will be cautiously optimistic and not want to get ahead of themselves, but there's only one way this logically goes, Cork to blitz them. I'd actually be very worried if I was a Clare fan, I actually think this could be bad.

And I've always felt re-emerging Cork teams, tend to save their best showings for Clare. Think it was in 2003, when that fresh and young Cork team were coming through, they met a very experienced and talented Clare team, and really left a statement to the whole country by the time they finished with Clare that day.

Think it was 2017 when Cork came back as a serious contender, again went in as underdogs against Clare. I think Cork's second half performance against them that day was the greatest 35 minutes of fluid hurling the game has ever seen.

I think bearing all this in mind, and with the pressure Cork are under to end the drought, they mean business here, and will have the bit between their teeth. This only goes one way, Clare being blitzed off the field with lightning speed and hurling from Cork. And the rest of the hurling counties should start to brace themselves for what's coming down the road from Cork.

People laugh but I've been saying this for a few years now, what's coming, and starting from tomorrow, it begins!

I'll be shouting for Cork winning tomorrow, because Cork winning is a win for the game of hurling, and how it should be presented and played!

This is what every neutral should be shouting for

I'll explain to people what I've said for a couple of years, and why Cork would dominate in the future. It's not even so much Cork being better, as opposed to how the game in general has developed. People laugh at me but are very short sighted. I got accused of being a wum saying Cork would win 5 in a row, which I didn't.

It's nothing to do with bigging Cork up, rather than the state the game finds itself elsewhere. I've noticed for a long time KK brought a new level of physicality and tenacity to the game under Cody, and Limerick took the blueprint and did it bigger. Most others have now spent over a decade trying to implement ways to copy it.

Cody took over a team of players who grew up the right way playing, and added that fight into them, a lethal combination. But as the county team is generally made up of a select few teams, it was easy for the county's team and style to be adopted by the clubs. But as the development of coming players was based and influenced around this at all levels, coming players in KK haven't actually developed as the all round silky hurlers they once were. We can see this with what's coming through, regardless of what they win here and there, their individuals just don't possess that natural fluidity they once did.

And it's the same for most counties, as most have implemented and aped what KK did. So this is what I've seen and been saying for the last decade or so about hurling. Limericks golden generation possibly put off the inevitable, and people say if this is the case, why aren't Cork winning more. Cork did have internal problems for a long time and yes, have struggled with this system. But that's not the point. The others still have great players, it's more a case of going forward, we'll see the gap widen as time goes on.

For whatever reason, Cork have been very separate to the rest of hurling, in ideology and ethos. They do produce and develop their players differently, and you can see with what they have coming through, how the others will struggle. It's not a case of bigging up Cork, or Cork having a great team to win a few all-irelands, this is a case something that won't change and grow bigger, unless others radically change their structures.

This debate seems like it's all about Cork. It's not, could of been Galway playing this way, or Cork and another two teams, and in that case the gap would widen between those 3 and the rest. Even if Cork lose tomorrow, it doesn't change anything in what's coming, in regards to the difference in quality of player production and development, between Cork and the rest. It will tell in time.

You'll notice Cork have been getting closer to Limerick for some time. It's more one style adapting and figuring out another. Even in the way Limerick usually beat teams, turning it up in the 3rd quarter, whenever they beat Cork, it was different. Limerick were no worse this year imo, it's just that gap that was closing, has now closed. Where Limerick could up it in the 3rd quarter, Cork burned them. They could keep the ball as they are better technically, and leave Limerick floundering as they blitzed them.

They did it in bursts previously but couldn't sustain, so it should of been no surprise when they did. When Cork implement that style to a high degree, it's basically akin to Barca keeping possession. Cork have now found out how to beat and play around the system by being better on a technical level, tire you, and then on a whim run at you and burn you!

As I said, there's only one way this goes going forward. The others are a decade behind in player development, and that's if they start now. You can see the gap of the Cork youngsters as far more complete than their peers, and they're coming through on a conveyor belt at the minute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Couldn't care less who does or doesn't read it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newhouse87

If cork don't win today, what's your conclusion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭endainoz

It'll probably be that Clare have killed hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Up da banner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

as a neutral who watches very little hurling in proportion to the amount of hurling available to watch this looks cork by at least 6, they are strong and driven and Clare looked clueless and useless in the Munster final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If you say something for years (as you say) about a county the size of Cork you’d eventually be right in fairness.

Have seen so many people say ‘I told you so’. And yes they have been saying ‘Cork are on the way back’ for about 10 years now. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Simplified, wide sweeping statements with nothing to back it up.

A decade behind on player development… 🤣😂 Alright then…

GTFO or post a pic of 500 on Cork to do the all ireland double - this and next year. And to win Munster in 2025 & 2026. That should be handy for a team ten years ahead on player development….

Should be a great game today. Looking forward to it.

It's a cliché but styles make fights.

I've a feeling that Clare's follow your man everywhere just might be the antidote to Cork's tactics. But it will be seat of the pants stuff. Normally, I'd say a shoot out suits Cork… but I just think if Clare sit back, try to keep it tight and invite them on, they're in big trouble.

If Clare go for it from the get go and take their goal opportunities, and they will get them, it could be comfortable for them. But when has this Clare team ever done comfortable?

Odds on a draw?

I think there's going to be some party in Clare for the rest of the year.

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

Draw today, teams can’t be split

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,168 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Miller thought that history would get Cork past Limerick in 2021. No chance they weren't going to beat us.

So as you say if he keeps saying it about a county like Cork he is sure to be right eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Seadin

Are you saying if Clare stick tight Cork are in big trouble or Clare?

• Advertisement

Just to let you know TGM isn't from Cork. None of us here are getting carried away we know well we have a huge task to beat Clare today but nothing wrong in feeling hopeful that we might win if everything goes to plan on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Cork with a bit to spare…. John Conlon will have one of his worst experiences ever on a hurling pitch today… unless Lohan is brave enough to whip him before its too late

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭cosatron

If lohan starts conlon, I'm sure he will have a plan for him. One thing noticeable was cork landed a good few puck outs in the d so I say conlon will man this area with a man marker on barret. I think clare will pull back allot of bodies and allow cork short puck outs.

"but I just think if Clare sit back, try to keep it tight and invite them on, they're in big trouble."

Only problem with that is Cork will have more bodies in the mid field area then for Collins to aim his puckouts to and Cork can gain possession and can shoot from distance too if required. Dalton and Fitzgibbon main examples.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭cosatron

I agree clare half forwards will have to work ferocious hard in this game. I think keeping barrett, connolly and hayes quiet will be clares main focus and are willing to give the long range points

Limerick left it too late to pull bodies back to crowd the space between the back lines but once they did they came out with a lot of ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Lump on lads!

Also a neutral here watching abroad. Can't wait for this just hoping it's close. May the best team win.

If it's a draw does it go to extra time and penalties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

On the last question I think not which is a joke. There should not be a replay. There should be the same process as all other matches in the competition. Also a replay just drags out the season unnecessarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

How game will be reffed will have an impact.. will Patrick Collins be allowed take quick puck outs by Johnny murphy if not what will Cork do differently if anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭C4000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Personally I'd prefer if it just went to a replay the week after the football no extra time. The replays are brilliant and usually result in more fans from the actual counties getting to the final. The replay can have extra time and penalties included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Neutral here. Cork seem to have a bit momentum and will be super confident after beating Limerick. Clare also have a bit of momentum I suppose, but it kind of looks like Cork for me. Hope its a classic and is decided today 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Rte should hang their heads. Jubillee team shoud get its 10 minutes. Its a great part of the day. I have memories watchin in the 80's fascinated to see these legends. Such a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Just looking at the Patrick Horgan Interview and realised how big the bás on is hurl and the other players is.All hurls look like goalies hurls from back in the day.

Is there a limit to how big they're allowed to have them as they must be twice the size of the bás on a hurl from the 90's early 00's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

If anyone doesn't want to listen to a list of towns from Cork and Clare coverage is also available on BBC2

But if I watch BBC I won't know that Johnny is watching the game in Sydney, Paddy is in Djibouti and Mary is tuning into the game from Timbuktu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

thought Cleary was Clare captain

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Donal Og hoping the ref will allow the "quick handpass" today, shocker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Cork must be out numbering Clare something serious in the crowd

I still think one of these teams is gonna bottle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Some atmosphere there, hopefully we'll have a great game to match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Marty doing that intolerable spiel he does before the match.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭LetticebCivil

My thinking is that the Limerick victory will leave the rebels sapped of energy, Clare to win by 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,368 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Did Marty try and do a joey from friends reference ?

Serious start by Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

It doesn't stop when the game starts. I like watching Marty wait for the number of the player to be clearly visible on his monitor before he identifies a player. Zero research done. Shame that TV coverage of a great game/sport is more enjoyable on mute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Badly needed that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Thank god for the bbc.

• Advertisement

Great game so far. So fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

very open fast start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Clare shooting all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240