Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink - future routes for next Metrolink

Options
1535455565759»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 scrabtom

I agree wholeheartedly. Even if it was to just go from Dardistown to Tallaght initially it would still connect with 6 radial lines when everything being planned at the moment is built, as well as other potential Luas lines built in the future in the likes of Blanchardstown and Clondalkin. Ideally we would want it to go as far as Sandyford though definitely.

I think the big winner from it is the amount of land it would open up for development, particularly just north of the M50.

Do we know whether any of the alignment from the original preferred route for Metro West was retained?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Re. Cork and Limerick - Cork is a good candidate for heavy rail metro services. Limerick is not given the configuration of the alignments. Luas/tram would be far superior for Limerick. Outside of that, I can't see any other town/city in the country where building rail infrastructure would be anything but a complete waste of time and money

I’d add that the other cities could do with a big investment in bus services. I know it isn’t sexy like rail, but it still plays an important part.

I don’t think people living in Dublin realise just how bad bus services are in the other cities and how relatively good Dublin Bus is by comparison! Growing up in Cork and moving to Dublin even 20 years ago, was an eye opener what a relatively good bus service should look like.

Even Cork, our second city has terrible bus services.

just putting in Dublin style QBC’s and a reliable, guaranteed 10 minutes bus service would be a game changer for the other cities IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭spillit67

Well yes, but that still leaves a significant gap between the two lines.

To put that into context, that is about 20% of our annual tax income.

I agree on Metro SW but we need to be more robust in pointing out that it isn’t that much in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

To put it into context, average infrastructure expenditure across G20 countries in 2023 was 4.6% of expenditure and 1% of GDP (or GNI for Ireland?).

For Ireland, that would imply an annual investment in infrastructure of around €3-4 billion. Government budgeting is far more complex, so I've no idea how accurate that is...

...but it would imply that the current pipeline of projects won't allow for another big investment until early to mid 2030s. I don't see how another €10billion+ Metro can be justified for Dublin, at the continued expense of smaller projects right across the island.

https://www.gihub.org/infratracker-insights/how-much-do-g20-governments-budget-for-investment-in-infrastructure-annually/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'm a fan of a south west metro in time but the quickest way to alleviate the commuting conditions for large swathes of south Dublin would be to upgrade the Green Line to metro asap and build east west orbital bus and possibly Luas corridors. Similarly the Red Line could be upgraded to pre-metro from James's and all the at grade crossings could be grade separated, bringing the Red Line up to something approaching metro capacity. This would enable further orbital feeder routes to get people from South and South West Dublin onto rail much faster than building a full metro line. The Red Line is largely wasted utility. Most of its length is segregated running. It's the few at grade crossings and of course the city centre stetch within the canals that reduce its capacity dramatically.

I’m fairly dubious of that stat due to it being central government related (not withstanding different economic conditions in each). How does it deal with state enterprises putting money in?

What is the most like for like nation as Ireland in the G20 as regards a totally centralised tax raising and virtually all expenditure?

Do you have the underlying data? Also bear in mind that our total spending for this year is €117bn.

I am not defending spending €10bn on Metro SW either. I’ve made it fairly clear on that.

Why the Green Line? People don’t avoid it right now because of capacity and it has been helped by the pandemic.

I’d agree about feeder Luas lines to an extent with it but the only real reason to upgrade to Metro standard is the relatively small cost and capacity concerns further up the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Take it down Thomas and Dame Street to TCD, much quicker to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

There's no way we could funnel large amounts of passengers into the Green Line on east-west feeder routes (proper bus connects corridors and perhaps even Luas without first upgrading it to metro IMO. The spare capacity would be eaten up in no time if you extended the catchment area by 100% like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement