Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That doesn't quite wash though does it. DCC like any organisation has staff that are in tune with Eamon's agendas and pusing them. The problem is that other staffers and those affected like businesses and interest groups are kicking back against Eamon's plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

If the country was serious about reducing consumption I wouldn’t be posting the following:

I go to the fridge and take out the 18pack of eggs from Tesco in the hard see through plastic.
    I use up the remaining 4 eggs and go back to the fridge to get more eggs in the second hard rigid see through 18 pack.
    Now I throw the empty pack in the recycling but I say to myself- why can’t I bring that empty pack back to the shop and refill that pack with 18 eggs?
    Same with my milk

Same with my washing up liquid

Same with my washing powder

Same with my kids inhaler

Same with my cereal

Etc etc.

This is what should be tackled not more bloody deposit charges on Coca Cola cans ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

For people with an interest in this interview John O'Brien talks to Richard J Schenk, Research Fellow at MCC Brussels, about his report 'The Silent War on Farming - How EU policies are destroying our agriculture’. The report explains how, under the guise of environmental concerns, European regulation has slowly squeezed farmers – especially livestock farmers – to breaking point. The report examines the transformation of European agricultural policy into a tool of environmental policy as farms disappear across the EU.

The idea is essentially that European farmers should switch their business from growing crops and animals to
    farming emissions trading certificates.” source

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,774 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's still not "Eamon's plans" the likelihood is that unless Emer "passport express" Higgins gets promoted to senior minister in the next GE then the Active travel plan will still proceed, and we'll still have the exact same mandarins in DCC too. And of course car park owners are going to kick back against anything that affects the bottom line, they don't give two s*ts how quick or safe a bus passenger/walker/cyclist gets around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It isn't Eamon's plan, it's the council plan.

Here is how it works. Council prepares a plan, submits request for funding based on plan, gets funding approved. It is entirely natural and appropriate that if the Council changes the plan, the funding is withdrawn.

Look at what happened with the HSE and scoliosis. In that case, the Department and the Minister didn't know that the HSE diverted the money to other plans as they saw fit. If the Minister had known, he would have been right to withdraw the funding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Her conclusion based on the laws of conservation of energy is that the process of making hydrogen using electrolysis is so inefficient that the people proposing it are either stupid or it is a deliberate ploy to keep on using natural gas in plants that are "hydrogen ready" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

Between hydrogen economy and carbon capture schemes (CCS), states will waste taxpayers labour in "proof of concept" projects, that cease when the funds run out.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭patnor1011

First of all, there is nothing we can do about climate change. It was always there and always will be. As for more CO2 then I do have good news for you, in general more CO2 means more plants and food in future. We should do something about stopping water pollution but explaining that to someone who believe all that CO2 end of the world nonsense is moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Thats not the country, thats the customer who is demadning that casing.

We had someone on one of these threads the other day having to get explained to them to wash out containers before putting into the car so they don't drip out the remaining contents into the car

Are you going to tell that person to buy eggs not in a reinforced container so they don't break thenm all before they get home?

In my area and in a lot of areas, you can now go to a local farmer or they have an automated machine in spots which you can buy eggs direct from the farmer, cheaper than the shops and with minimal packing.

Similar here, we have a farmers shop around the corner that sells fresh fruit etc, no packing

In terms of washing powder it comes in a box, if you get liquid you can now buy refils to the original package

In tesco etc you have fruit and veg without packing but most people will go the easy route and get the prepackaged items, even when more expensive

You are complaining about choices made by people, not the government or the shops. If the shops could sell things with less packing don't you think that is exactly what they would do?

Also the farmers shops etc when they open in towns, guess what, thye go bust because people won't go to them.

If the government tried to tackle that packaging you would have it 1 millions times worse than telling people to bring a few can/bottles back to the shops when you return

DCC along with NTA are the ones pushing new traffic plans for Dublin etc

When Eamon Ryan goes and the plan continues who are you going to blame then?

Sorry now but the consumer will always take the easy route.
    What’s wrong with keeping the plastic container and bringing it back to fill up myself at the shelf with package free eggs?

Why can’t I reuse the cereal box (or get a large airtight container) and refill my cereal from a large hopper in the shop?

• Advertisement

We had uproar because people got asked to bring back a few cans/bottles to a machine to get a refiund, now you want them to bring back all packing and refill it?

In reality if that shop opened tomorrow, you would use once, maybe twice but majority of the time use a mainstream store. Now you can make up some story you want to say you wouldn't but thats the truth, plus the majority of people would do the same

As I said if Tesco could make more money doing the above they would do it tomorrow, they are meeting customer demands.

Most local butchers/veg shops etc are closing, not opening becuase people will go mainsteam. Our local butcher was about to go bust and now is full of packaged items and flying, the 2 for 10 etc and that. They had to copy the mainstream. The other one, which didn't go that way is gone. The butcher is now workin in the butchers in Supervalu

100% I am saying using and producing less packaging is better for the environment compared to what we are at now.
    I’d love to hear the argument against that statement tbh.
    If Tesco introduced less packaging and sold food as I am suggesting- along side how it’s normally done- I would bet a lot of people would go the reduced packaging route.

It’s all about choice- a fact that the Green Party seems to have ignored by imposing a recycling charge on cans and bottles etc.

How have they ignored?

Tesco will just point to the fruit and veg section already in shops and people will buy the packaged items

What you say sounds great, I agree with it, but in reality that is not what people want.

You are blaming the Green Party for something that they can't control and the people you need to blame is the shoppers who don't want to bring containers.

Superquinn by the way was famous for better quality foods, less packing when I shopped in it and you picked the fresh fruit etc….what happened to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There are shops like this here and there. They just aren’t popular with consumers. I hope that changes but there are many practical issues to face. But the practical argument in the short term is that consumers will just not accept the change you propose.

Tesco et al have looked at this a lot. For example they carried out this trial: https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/tesco/why-did-tesco-call-time-on-loop-packaging-free-trial/670199.article

It is important to keep the impact of packaging waste in context and proportion. Packaging is the pollution we see. But packaging only contributes maybe 5 percent of the emissions impact of food. Issues like food spoiling / waste and transport between home and shop are in practice far bigger issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…so polluting the air is okay, but the water is not, thats interesting!

…its all about the balance, too much co2 generally isnt good for carbon based life form, ask the good folks of venus!

CO2 represent (0.04%) in atmosphere. Hope that put things in perspective for you so no Venus scenario for about what now, a couple hundred millenia? Most likely even longer I doubt there are enough fossil fuel or green approved biomass which can send us there. Perhaps maybe if sun start growing but thats gonna take way too long for us to even notice and it is contrary to green CO2 dogma as according to it we are the sinners not the sun.

There is no chance that any environmentally concious person would even think about washing empty drink containers wasting drinking water. They are destined for (supposedly recycling) most likely just being sold to someone who is doing actual recovery. Cans go to foundry and plastics may or may not go to shredder and separation plant or incinerator. It does not matter, curious thing is that people who pontificate about conserving water suddenly think it is ok to wash 3,000,000 drink containers a day.

I would have to be bored out of my mind to even contemplate doing such pointless excercise. They go to plastic bin along with whatever leftovers are in them and re-turn can sort it out themselves. They should have plenty of funds for maintenance of their wonder machines from non claimed deposits.

This is not a surprise, as I posted above people prefer the packaged stuff

What are you ranting about?

People wash them out so the remains don't fal out in car, if you have a setup that doesn't require it don't do it

What a ridiculous post

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…ah whats the point arguing with deniers, almost as bad as conspiracy heads, completely removed from reality, and fairly clueless to…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭thatsdaft

you would think our non existent military would spend money on what matters like increasing wages and getting new equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Speaking of ridiculous posts... Do they dry them out too? Otherwise all they're doing is swapping one liquid for another (or at least a diluted version of the original liquid) but Pat makes a salient point, why waste precious (treated) drinking water?

But then again, you seem to be the biggest supporter of this scheme and can't comprehend how inefficient and environmentally unfriendly it is. You still haven't explained why getting a printed piece of paper, that is only redeemable in the store where you used the RVM, is preferable to get a Revolut or bank transfer of YOUR MONEY back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭ps200306

EU 2030 hydrogen target seem to be a mess and "needs a reality check" according to its own auditors:

But the EU Commissions rejects the auditors findings.

Here at home we just have to hope that Eamon Ryan doesn't put all our eggs in the single basket of a hydrogen economy that never materialises or is very delayed, to the detriment of the natural gas infrastructure that we will continue to need.

I said it in another thread and say it again. Scheme along with machines was intentionally designed the way to discourage people to use it. That way shop owners can have a piece of a pie in form of vouchers being redeemed as part of payment and operators can keep as much of non claimed deposit as possible. Actual recycling argument, is moot since empties will go to green bin and get eventually recycled as it was done before.

If this had anything to do with actual recycling and recovery then deposit would be much smaller and machines would accept any and every plastic bottle or drink can even crushed or damaged containers in bulk and sort them out in seconds. Payment would be send in app or account in seconds too. The same way it was done in quite a few countries. It cant work that way here since way too many pockets needs to be greased along with creating yet another quango with handy jobs for the boys.

I am reacting to your pontification post about how you had to explain to people to wash their empty drink containers if they are afraid that something spill in a car. An idiotic suggestion from environmentally conscious person who not so long ago used to fume about how in order to save the planet we do have to conserve drinking water.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭thatsdaft

wait wait he wants people to drive in cars using petrol or electricity that mostly comes from emitting carbon to recycling machines and not push pedals?

😮

yet you didn’t quote me 🤦‍♂️

FYI you should always clean out bottles, the same advice was provided for the Green bin before the new system.
    You must have missed that part 👍

no people don’t drive cars, is that the answer you are looking for?

The advice was always to wash out bottles/can before putting in green bins, long before the new system was in place.

How do you not know this?

In terms of the current system, sorry I can't help you if you are struggling with it. Maybe go to a local councillor, the library or someone in the area that can walk you through it if finding difficultly. Plenty of videos online as well

I already explained why no revolut or money transfer. You ignored and I doubt me explaining again wil make any difference.

• Advertisement

Wind energy reliability, non existent green hydrogen dreams, car battery storage grid, culling of cows, green environmentally friendly biomass, windowsill food production for salad people and now wasting drinking water so non profit quango will have it easier? Green ideas are entertaining to say the least.

Advertisement