Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Notorious Shite Irish Summer weather

• 21-07-2024 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭

I think Summer 2024 will be remembered with 1985, 2008 & 2011 as one of the shittest Summers of all time, like summer 76/89/95 are remembered as the best.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Yep this year is really crap, thank fupp for sun holidays

Was it 2007 or 2008 we had 60 odd days of solid rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The world is getting warmer though eh. Magically skips ireland though. Yesterday was like winter. Cold, windy and wet. There is nothing to do in the country at the best of times but when the whether is as bad as this its a write off. Bring on September and get the kids back to school and out of our hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I was working outside all that summer, jesus it was horrible, warm and raining, doing physical work in heavy rain gear trying to keep dry, in a ball of sweat.

And a kip of a climate for humidity. Ive been to oz, arizona and egypt. They dont hold a candle to us for humidity. 22 degrees when we do get it is so unpleasent because of the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I remember that was the year of Umbrella by Rihanna, and one or two radio stations jokingly banning it because it rained any time they played it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭baxterooneydoody

It would make you wonder how anyone working outdoors like construction, utilities, farmers etc make any headway or money with the constant rain and bad weather.

Last year was nearly as bad the weather broke the start of July and never cleared up.

I was reading a meteorological report that Ireland had only 10 24-hour periods of dry weather from July 23 to July 24. You'd wonder how we get anything built or grown in that

Overall it's warmer and wetter,anyone can see that, yesterday was lose to 100 percent humidity where I am with 18 degrees registered

It was cold though after about 4 o clock. Like febuary or march. Before that though the humidity was crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I reckon our Summers are more Aug/Sept than Jun/July and have been for quite a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

We are pretty lucky with all things considered no crazy weather events drought etc be carefully what you wish for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,789 ✭✭✭cgcsb

2003 was also a melter of a summer. 2005 also I think.

2024 is a washout, hands were blue last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

July 2023 was way worse than this July but May and most of June 23 were a lot better than this year

Id consider 350 days of rain per year extreme. It has a huge impact on our economy and various sectors.

We rarely get a good August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭WildWater

Your expectation are too high!😎 Rainfall wise we are doing better this summer than average. Only Jun 21 was better. Last year, July was horrendous for rain. In fact, rainfall wise we are likely in 'as good as it gets' territory for Ireland in summer.

Data from met.ie (Athenry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Shan Doras

Yeah perhaps July 23 was worse but at least we got a heatwave for a couple of weeks in june 23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭n.d.os

In the South East where I live, this summer has been unusually windy and cold. My home is near the coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,537 ✭✭✭✭road_high

2024 summer is crap but there’s nothing exceptionally bad about it, its been wet but not excessively so-I’d say 2007/8 were much worse. There’s been no real flooding. It’s been cool but nothing really major has happened kind of weather. On the farming front yes things are late but the harvest has started, there’s plenty of silage made and even some hay

They supports my assertion too- not exceptionally wet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭ledwithhedwith

yeah if we had 350 days of rain that would be extreme. Thank Christ we don’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I think I'll sell my EV and go back to the thirsty petrol guzzler in order to warm the place up a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

It does depend where in the country you are. Dublin is looking like sunny intervals all next week. Very little rain forecast. Highs of 19 to 22. Wont complain with that myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If we were sitting at 40c for all of July and August, you'd never hear the end of the moaning.

I know our weather can be depressing for sure, but I wouldn't swap for the weather some of continental Europe is getting these last few years.

Only 10 rain free days in 365 days I read a week ago, so more like 355 days of making precipitation of some sort or another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭ledwithhedwith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

The weather is making people stupid too.

Yesterday in rain a couple somewhat sozzled got off the 15 bus in Templeogue.

Thought the man was going to walk into the traffic. The bus did not dare pull out until the fella had moved back into the footpath.

Not an isolated incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

As a perimenopausal woman I'm very happy with our miserable wet cold summer. I had my first hot flashes this spring, at least I'm thinking this is hot flashes and that I don't have sepsis or a fever causing infection and I'm just glad that it hasn't been above 18 degrees for much of the year so far because I'm not sure how I would have coped if it was.

May and June were relatively nice all the same and did get reasonably warm.. As someone who potters around in the garden a bit, April/May/June are usually the better parts of the year and again late August/Sept/Oct the weather is usually more seasonably pleasant, especially for doing things outside. I have an enclosed outdoor patio area with a canopy and comfy seating so I have spent a good bit of time in the garden even when it's been raining so it's not all bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,789 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Dublin is very dry in my experience showers rarely last long. This year I think it's worse we've had a couple of days where it's been raining constantly for a whole day or even 2. I don't remember many such rainy days years ago.

It was from some article online, now how true it is I'm not sure but it was claimed to be a report from met eireann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

On a lot of those days, it could have been raining overnight and not during the day. I've often noticed it being wet in the mornings but not witnessing any rain all day, which is a nice way to have it.

As somebody who cycles to work, I only bring a jacket if it's raining (or forecast) or if the road is wet. Unless it's really cold, the temperature doesn't bother me.

There have been loads of days when I haven't needed to wear my jacket, even when I had it with me. I should keep a record of this but for the moment, the quantity 'loads' will have to sum up the results of my experiments. 😉

2012 will always rank as the worst summer for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm nearly 40, I think I learned by the time I was in my late 20s not to expect anything from August. Even that amazing spell we had in 2018 was over before August came round from what I remember. This summer looks like a write off, not as bad as last July/August but didn't get a single decent spell at any stage. Just an incredibly meh summer basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭jackboy

On average we get about 1 nice summer in 5. This summer is typical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Shan Doras

Yeah the first few weeks of the school holidays in Summer 2018 was so hot and dry that the government banned garden hose pipes, but it all came to an abrupt end about July 27th, it started pissing rain and rained all through August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

2020 had a wonderful spring, June July and August were an absolute disaster though.

2021 and 2022 were heat wave summers, last year was OK ish but without the 30+ degree days.

Our weather is always a lottery but it doesn't make it any less crap when you're looking out at rain every day in July.

Glazers Out!

The only unusual thing about it is it's been colder than usual

• Advertisement

I’d say this summer will track the average for pretty much every thing. Temperature might be slightly lower but not by much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Last year summer was awful.

I prefer cooler climate over 45 degrees still

Remember the shills only get paid when you react to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

to do with the position of the jet stream, which is kind of like a curtain. We’re in the dark side of that curtain all this year.

I took myself on a week long trip to the Cotswolds early this month. Arrived to a thoroughly wet Bristol Airport, got soaked getting to the car hire location. Drove through the beautiful Cotswold villages for 6 days, rain every day except for one late morning on through afternoon after an overnight and earlier morning of a downpour pounding in the roof of my rental cottage. Lots of people crowding into cafés and tea shops looking out at the deluge, waiting for a moment for it to ease off.

Bit off topic but I swear by Estradot HRT patches combined with Utrogeston to protect endometrium. Otherwise heat would. E an absolute nightmare. I also have MS, where heat makes nerves stop working. However I’m going to Borneo soon, but you bet I’ll be running to the air conditioning an awful lot.

I do like soft gentle rain, you know the kind I mean. When the tain was softer on my Cotswolds trip it made the honey stone look lovely. Cities can shine in the rain, particularly ones like Aberdeen, Edinburgh.

Deluges make it impossible though, you are button up in a raincoat, vision obliterated if you wear glasses, slippy ground underneath (I dread with the MS) and rain seeping down through every crack in your clothing it can find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭thereiver

I think the frequency of rain varys a lot as you go west eg it rains less in Dublin than Kerry

For anyone not liking hot weather, but want a holiday that’s not always an eternal downpour, try the Azores. Like Ireland, but usually milder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I'm in Finland on my sun holiday, very nice 20 to 25 degrees a couple of days of rain, due to crank up to 29 by Friday.

I'm in the lake lands so passing thunderstorms are common.

there was s shower going from sauna to the lake 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Finland pretty expensive and quite boring don't you think.

Remember the shills only get paid when you react to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭AyeGer

The last month of good weather where I’m living in Donegal was June 2023. There has been the occasional good day or couple of days since.

South east coast, I had an all over tan by June. It was fairly dry for most of May/June here anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement