Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Double Glazed Window Glass

Options
  • 21-07-2024 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

We had our attic and external walls insulated last year.

This year we want to replace the double glazing, which is 15 years old.

Due to the external insulation, it would not be possible to fully replace the windows, so we are looking at ONLY replacing the glass itself.

I'm wondering if this will make big difference, or is the u rating only applied to the entire units (including the frames)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Why? if the units are still functioning, then the U value uplift vs cost will be minimal.

You might need to replace all seals, handles, hinges etc but that would cost c 2k vs 20 k for new glass

My guess is you won't be able to change the overall depth so the only tech changes in the last 15 years you can avail of will be maybe an enhanced coating or argon gas or more effective spacer bar but you are not going to get much of a improved U value.

2008 windows may have a U value of 2 or 1.7

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭baxterooneydoody

Waste of time and money, the technology hasn't come far enough in 15 years to justify spending thousands on something you won't notice an improvement in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

OP, what air tightness and ventilation improvements were made? If little, there may be better bang for buck to get this balance right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement