Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Irish politics discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

All TFPTP system needs is for one of the main parties to get pushed to the extreme right or left just as has happened to the now authoritarian Republican party in the US which has lurched to the far right. Thus the system itself which rarely requires coalitions leaves the door very open even more so as with TFPTP system governments can get into power despite only winning a minority of the votes cast.

It is not debatable that compared with FPTP PR is much more democratic. It produces results much more reflective of the voters as a whole and it leads to very often coalition governments which represent the whishes of a majority and which require much negotiation and consensus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

To be fair STV isn't perfect either, we get many candidates getting seats without reaching the quota. Take for example in 2016 where 49.8% of the vote gave FF and FG 94 seats (or 59% of the 158 available)

I don't think there is a "perfect" system though to be fair, just degrees of perfection. Of which STV has a much higher degree of it than FPTP. With that being said FPTP makes for stronger governments so you have to weigh positives with negatives the whole time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

49.8% of the first preference vote. Which, while not quite a meaningless figure, is not relevant to the seat count. That it doesn't align directly with the seat count is a feature, not a bug.

It would suggest that people gave a first preference to one party (or indo) and a second preference to another suggesting party loyalty is not very high so that would be the main bug.

The system itself is a good one aside from the numbers that can get in without a quota, min 1 per constituency you could essentially have a political party on the fringe in theory gain 43 seats without a quota

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It would suggest that people gave a first preference to one party (or indo) and a second preference to another suggesting party loyalty is not very high so that would be the main bug.

What? Who cares about "party loyalty". At some point (often after choice 1) you have to go to another party. It's a consensus based system to find compromise candidates.

The system itself is a good one aside from the numbers that can get in without a quota, min 1 per constituency you could essentially have a political party on the fringe in theory gain 43 seats without a quota

You don't have min 1 per constituency getting in without a quota and who cares? It means they are the next most agreeable candidate. The quota is a purely mathematical function of how the counting is done. Not reaching it is meaningless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,603 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Get rid of 3 seat constituencies and most of this "problem" goes away. But as Podge says, first prefs are certainly not the be all and end all in PR-STV. Your tenth pref might be the one that pushes someone over the line.

It's also very possible to protest vote (or even pity vote) with your no.1 and then move on to candidates who are actually electable.

Scrap the cap!

You mean make every constituency a 5-seater? Not an auful idea

Yes, the larger the average constituency is, the more proportional the result.

But we're wedded to the old county lines, which makes it difficult.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The Quota figure that is announced before Count 1 is 'the figure at which it is mathematically certain to win a seat'. It remains a constant throughout all the counts.

But should it remain constant, as in reality it is always trending downwards? If Candidate X is eliminated after count 1 with 1000 votes, generally some of their votes are not transferable. Clearly the 'Effective Quota' has changed - it is now Original Quota minus (NonTransferable Votes / No Of Seats). Anyone who surpasses this new figure is uncatchable, is effectively elected and in theory has a distributable surplus.

However, they won't be deemed elected until they've reached the original quota, and will ultimately have a smaller surplus to be distributed. Doing it this way would give marginally more weight to surpluses than is currently the case where the count is weighted towards transfers from eliminations. May or may not change the end result, but would definitely largely reduce the amount of 'elected without reaching the quota' candidates.

The overall time would likely be constant, i.e. the time for a 7-seater would be similar to the accumulated time for the 4-seater and 3-seater it has theoretically replaced.

I like the counts. An extra couple of hours or a day or so to get even more proportionality is a good thing in my books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭rock22

But you are then giving weight to votes not cast. If a voter wants to, they can continue their preference to the end of the list. The fact they don't is the main cause of votes not being transferable.

Secondly the 'adjustment' would need to take into account various non-transferable totals and the scale of those totals would not be known until after the count

It's a simple calculation though isn't it, and the scale of the totals are actually known at each stage.

e.g., using handy whole numbers. 4 seater, 50,000 votes. Therefore the Quota is 10001 (50,000/5 +1) and anyone above it is declared elected because it is a mathematical certainly.

Say no-one is elected and the last candidate is eliminated with 1000 votes and only 600 of them have a second preference to be distributed. We now know that the true quota has changed to 49600/5 + 1 = 9921. Anyone above this is mathematically certain to be elected yet they aren't declared elected until they reach 10001. It's not a big deal, just a minor inconsistency imo. Personally I think you should be declared elected when it is beyond all maths doubt, but not the way the system works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If you take that approach, what about the people elected on the first count. Their surplus increases everytime you reduce the quota. In fairness, you would then have to distribute another element of their surplus every single count.

It wouldn't work.

No, I think it'd still be fine, albeit clumsy. The new real-time, true and scientific Quota would only apply to the next count.

By doing that, you disenfranchise some of those who voted for a candidate elected on the first count. That wouldn't stand up.

Is it any worse than the current system of my vote transferring to someone who is already elected beyond all mathematical doubt but hasn't yet reached the original but by now obsolete quota? That also seems a type of disenfranchisement to me.

Yes, it is worse, because nobody is disenfranchised in your situation. If someone chooses not to go down the list, they choose not to go down the list, so they are not disenfranchised.

• Advertisement

Can't agree. If my vote goes to someone who is mathematically certain to be elected (because they've already reached the true quota) but hasn't yet reached the original quota, then I've been disenfranchised. My vote should have transferred to the next person on my list where it might have an effect. Instead it pointlessly transferred to someone who is already home and dry, but not yet officially declared. That's disenfranchisement imo.

Personally I think you should be declared elected when it is beyond all maths doubt, but not the way the system works.

That's exactly what happens when candidate(s) (sometimes more than one) are elected without reaching the quota.

Until that happens, it's still mathematically possible for someone else to win a seat.

Scrap the cap!

This isn't true "Until that happens, it's still mathematically possible for someone else to win a seat.". Like that's my whole point. The original quota is a logical formula based on the votes in play, so 50,000 votes, 4 seater, Quota = 50,000/5, +1. As the count goes on, votes die (no longer transferable). When there is say just 45K votes left in play, the real-time quota is 45,000/5, +1. Anyone above this figure it's impossible for them to be caught, yet they chug on until they reach the original 10K quota (or elected w/o reaching it).

No that's wrong. The votes already transferred are irrelevant in this regard. They stop counting when there are no more candidates who could overtake the leading unelected candidate(s) based on the votes yet to be transferred. They don't keep counting for the LOLs (although they will keep counting if some of the unelectable candidates might win their expenses back)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

There's a name for what you're proposing - It's called Meek's method.

source

Great, good to hear it has a name anyway, and that some 1960s prof saw it was logically sound. I was beginning to doubt myself.

For example, consider a ballot with top preferences A, B, C, and D in that order, where the weightings of the candidates are 𝑎, 𝑏, 𝑐, and 𝑑, respectively. From this ballot A will retain 𝑟𝐴=𝑎, B will retain 𝑟𝐵=(1−𝑎)𝑏, C will retain 𝑟𝐶=(1−𝑎)(1−𝑏)𝑐, and D will retain 𝑟𝐷=(1−𝑎)(1−𝑏)(1−𝑐)𝑑.

Why on earth didn't this catch on? 😁

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

6 or 7 seat constituencies would be geographically very large, in rural situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Can a new thread be set up to discuss electoral systems? This has taken over a couple of threads and has been the same comments repeatedly for close to two months now. While it is related to General Irish politics, it is a specific topic which goes far beyond the scope of this thread, particularly given the depth to which it is being discussed.

I think we should have 5, 6 or 7 seaters everywhere, and let the size work from there (i.e. have 5-seaters in large rural areas, 7 seaters in the cities).

3 seaters should be abolished as soon as is practicable.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We're going to have 2 candidates running in the same constituency with the exact same name in the next election

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭blackwhite

My inner politics nerd is far more tickled by this than I should admit 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Does anyone think one of ROG, Harris and McEntee could miss out in the next election?

ROG only scraped through the last time a bit like Simon Harris so if their support drops at all they're likely to miss out.

McEntee on the other hand came second in a 3 horse race. There was no refugee crisis then so two of the losers then Aontu's Eimear Toibin and Independent Sharon Keogan could challenge her position. Both these candidates are completely against and outspoken regarding the refugee crisis so it's possible they'll gain enough support to challenge.

Every week there's negative publicity around McEntee so who knows support could drop opening the door for the others. Her saving grace could come from the fact they haven't pushed huge numbers of IPA's into her constituency. Towns like Ashbourne, Rataoth, Dunboyne and Trim largely unaffected by the goings on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Keogan is absolutely bonkers and won't be able to avoid connection to her bonkers statements during a campaign. She won't get in, or get reelected to the seanad.

Harris is safe. No green anywhere is.

The recent local and European elections showed that the heightened concerns about immigration did not translate into seats with the exception of a few working class LLEs in Dublin and Newbridge (for some reason).

Sharon Keoghan is an out and out conspiracy theorist. She hasn't a hope of getting elected in a general election - especially in a 3 seater.

Similarly Aontu haven't shown much signs of the break through that would be required in a general election. Very difficult to see anyone but their leader getting elected again next time out.

Harris is 100% guaranteed to win his seat. His career was at a low point at the 2020 general election. The previous government had just been brought down over a pending vote of confidence in his performance as minister of Health. Even then though his seat was never really in doubt and it only took him until the final count to get elected due to his running mate lasting until that same count.

Since then his career has soared to new heights. The early months of the Pandemic were a massive boost to his profile and standing as minister of health. Now he's the Taoiseach and after presiding in a successful local and European election campaign. Wicklow is dropping from a 5 seater to a 4 seater. If he doesn't have a running mate then he'll definitely top the poll. If he does have one then he may still top the poll.

O'Gorman, I suspect, will lose his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The last Locals wiped out SF and the following GE was very different. I think the political landscape has changed significantly.

Twitter is trending multiple different areas protesting against IPA centres.

Birr, Kilkenny, Tipp, Coolock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

McEntee is also safe as houses now that ME has gained a seat. The kind of controversies she has endured rarely cut through at constituency level anyway. SF would have been fancied to take the fourth seat but with them slumping it might go to someone out of leftfield (or rightfield). Can't see it being Keogan though…

• Advertisement

Aontu could take O'Gorman's seat, they got three councillors in Dublin West in the locals.

5 seats in Dublin West. Leo stepping down.

Donnelly (SF), Chambers (FF), Currie (FG), with the last two seats between Walsh (Labour), Coppinger (Ind?), Aontu (don't think they have selected yet), O'Gorman (Greens) and possibly a second FF or SF candidate.

As for McEntee, you need 25% first preferences to get elected in a three-seater. In the locals, FG got 22% in Ashbourne LED, 31% in Kells LED, 27.4% in Laytown/Bettystown, 22.1% in Ratoath. Not sure which of those in Meath East, but should be enough, so long as she is the only candidate.

Edit: Meath East has gone to a four-seater, so hard to see McEntee losing out, they may run a sweeper candidate.

Agree about Harris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭pureza

Fine Gael are in a bit of a quandry in Wicklow in that one of their potential 3 candidates sweeps up a lot of votes in the south of the county but lives in the 4 seater,losing voters to the new wicklow wexford constituency

Of the 5 incumbents there,the green is toast I'd say,Brady and Harris will be top of the poll

The new Wicklow wexford 3 seater will be 1 FF,1 FG and either 1 SF or one independent ,being Pier Leonard if she stands ?

Given SF's reversal in fortunes lately I wouldn't think that they'll be topping many polls. They seems to have lost large sections of their former base. They appear to have recognised this fact in a recent review where they acknowledged that their stance on immigration was at odds with many of their former voters.

The thing is, if they change their stance in immigration they may lose some of the younger middle class vote that they've picked up more recently. 2020 seemed to be the sweet spot where they managed to retain both groups. From here on in they may need to choose between one or the other.

To be fair to Brady, he has a strong personal support in Bray. Still living in the council house despite being on over 100k a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Field east

it’s a wonder that independant programme makers such as Sin-a- Wil have not done a programme on how exactly the counting system works and explaining the specific details as it progresses through the counting system used. The ‘ raw material’ for such a programme is handed to the prog maker on a plate in that it could use any actual constituency to make it . Or , to keep it simple it could start off with smaller /round/fictitious number of votes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The news cycle of an election carries timed contributions from various party candidates leading up to the day of voting. Each party must get equal time - I do not understand whether small parties get the same amount of time as big parties or if it just portioned out.

This ends the day before election day when there is a moratorium for voters to reflect and decide.

On election day, the news media concentrate on turnout.

The next day, the count begins with the boxes being opened, and breathless reports start as glances of the ballots as they are poured out onto the counting table are transformed into tallies. These morph into early predictions from tally experts who combine figures to consolidate trends. These come with a health warning.

Then as the day progresses, early predictions turn into early results. Eventually, all the results are in.

And we have a winner - lots of them - but do we have a Gov?

Well that is the fun part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭pureza

He was popular enough in the south of the county and a decent skin when you meet him,their vote though down here was do ya know terrible in the CoCo's compared to expectations,1 councillor ellected in the Wicklow part of the new WicWex constuency and last ,without reaching the quota

WWN picking up on SF's dilemma on immigration:

MARY LOU MCDONALD has reassured voters that have gravitated to Sinn Féin in recent years that any attempts to coax intolerant anti-immigration voters with a new ‘immigration policy’ will be done in a very progressive manner.

“It’ll be inclusive, very LGBTQ forward thinking type stuff if and when we scapegoat immigrants at all, all relevant rejections letters will have rainbow flags and the correct pronouns,” said McDonald remaining coy on if Sinn Féin will fully embrace courting racists in earnest now they’ve dropped a few points in the polls.

“We’d continue to condemns scenes like we’ve witnessed in Coolock in the strongest terms, while dropping in an old ‘no open borders’ and ‘Ukrainians are the good refugees but’ into the conversation here and there,” added McDonald, outlining the careful language that will serve as a nod and a wink to those with strong anti-immigrant views.

source

OK here are some real quotes from MLM:

Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald has said that more international protection centres should be located in better off areas under its new immigration policy.

The party is calling for a local audit of resources to be carried out before new locations are chosen.

This would examine criteria including GP lists and school places, proximity to transport and existing levels of disadvantage.

"Some areas have better access to services, to infrastructure, they are better off. It is our belief that it is a fairer ask that these centres be located in these communities," Ms McDonald said.

source

This is actually good politics. It's the kind of thing that nobody can argue with publicly.

The open secret to why they don't do this is that there would be too much local resistance, not in the streets, but in the courts. If they tried to pull a Crown Paints in Foxrock there would be a high court injunction logged before you could say "Resident's association" putting a stop to the work and likely jamming it up for months. Up until now it's just been easier to go with softer targets. After Coolock though all bets are off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The issue is that generally there are very few vacant sites or available land in more 'affluent' areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You mean like the one they opened in Ballsbridge?

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2024/01/04/mixed-reaction-in-ballsbridge-as-locals-give-cautious-welcome-to-asylum-seeker-centre/

As the above poster noted - the issue is more down to where there are available vacant buildings that can converted. They tend to be in less well-off areas, as vacant sites in well-off areas tend to be snapped up by property developers.

In Sligo they converted the old Cregg House care centre to refugee accommodation. That's in Rosses Point, the wealthiest part of Sligo - with Cregg House within a few hundred metres of Shane Filan's mansion.

In the news today, Dundrum House Hotel in Tipperary - a golf resort - taken over as refugee accommodation.

It's more a case of desparation in trying to find anywhere that they can lodge and feed people, as opposed to targetting certain areas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement