Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

You mentioned in your previous post, electricity costs for running the machines. All but one of the machines I have seen are outside. So I have to ask, why are they not solar powered?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Doesn't make sense.

Wasting your time and the time of people queuing behind you at the RVM and the checkout.

Where have I proven myself a shill for anything?

When did I glorify Re-turn or say I work for them ?

Or are you just making things up ?

I see now that you didn't go through with the multi receipt plan.

And yes you should have taken your cardboard and single can home with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

They provide a bit of balance in the face of some of the more extreme anti authority people. Like the lad who is going to print out hundreds of individual receipts to make trouble for the shop assistants. Or the lad who is saving up his bottles to burn them in his fire this winter. Or the lad who crushed dozens of containers to see if the machine would accept them.

There is no need to feel uncomfortable about their presence on the thread. They are in a small minority, but as usual the mob wants everyone to sing from their hymn sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭bog master

So brilliant-we collect all these plastics and then what do we do with them> urn Babie BURN

• Advertisement

but as usual the mob wants everyone to sing from their hymn sheet.

That could apply to the pro-ReScam crowd as much as the anti- ReScam crowd.

A guy rang up Liveline a few months ago. He has his recycling collected every week, and one day just as an experiment into his recycling bag, he put in an airtag, and followed its path straight to the Poolbeg incinerator.

I'd love to try a similar experiment in a ReScam machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭jj880

Great to have "the mob" in this thread pointing out basic improvements to Re-Turn that would show customers and shop staff some respect in line with other countries.

Better than people spouting rubbish like "we're not allowed to improve this system as it will complicate the return process".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

And yes you should have taken your cardboard and single can home with you.

Why? Chances are they will just end up in landfill anyway.

Do you honestly think the scale still exists for collection companies now to process "recyclables"?

By all means you can play pretend but don't pontificate to anyone else who doesn't want to indulge your fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Absolutely, there’d be no thread worth while without opposite opinions 😃

• Advertisement

my car boot atm. The refuse from the Marks&Spence machine, bought bottles (at a place with no machine), a wasted journey to a shut Nutgrove Aldi. My boot is very big but this got ridiculous. BTW I need to take a lot of water as I had surgery & can’t absorb liquid well. I don’t have the energy for a wasted day going around looking for machines that work. Life is hard work as it is. It’s a grossly unfair scheme to many.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭SteM

You were kind of unlucky with your trip to aldi in nutgrove with it being closed for refurb. We had the same issue with aldi in belgard the other week.

Pontificate.

No need for big words when I'm only stating the obvious.

The only thing obvious about your posts is that you are some sort of shill for ReScam.

Is that sort of ad hominem nonsense the best you can do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭patnor1011

If the machine runs out of paper you lose deposit on one can. They will have to replace paper roll anyway. Why would not spread the wealth? Re-turn is non profit so they can share some of that unclaimed deposit with printer paper roll company there may be some jobs out of it.

I print out receipt for every 2 euro. Just in case so I do not have to argue with someone that machine did not printed my 10 euro voucher. I may go down to 1 euro because why not…

No need to pick up shop you do your shopping. Go to nearest dunnes or tesco put them in and cash receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I cannot understand people making what seems special journeys for returns. I live in rural Ireland. Nearest RVM is about 8 mile's away we just fill a box and we put it in the car when 3/4 full about 15 bottles and cans and then at at shop with a RVM we stand them in. Then if there is a bottle that dose not scan it back.innthe box into the car and it home and into the bin with the bottle or can. The box goes back into position.

A couple of things hit me reading your post. I use to see the same at glass bottle banks. People that arrived especially after busy times ( Christmas, bank holiday weekends etc) and ifvthe bank was full just left there bag or box of bottles there.

So you did not recycle one bottle, my God the world needs to stop. You forget that nearly 50% of bottle and cans were not recycled before. I used to pick some up out walking becabecause people threw them out the car window. I kniw you are doing it but some are. I see that is reducing as I go walking now.

Would you consider buying a half dozen reusable bottled. I purchased a pair of them out of LIDL for a few euro two years ago. I just fill them out of the tap. If you just prefer bottled water buy the large 5L one drums and fill the reusable bottles out of them. However I would just use tap water saves a fortune

Just as an aside it amazes me the amount of bottle and cans of water and soft drinks people accumulate. We would hardly buy 10 a week. Every family member has a reusable bottle.

Nothing to do with pro authority I have just learnt over the years it very hard to buck the system.you can spend your life butting you head against it and end up with a headache. The system is there ( as in rules and regs) the best way around itis to put a saddle on it.

Slava Ukrainii

I cannot stand the bleachy taste of tap water, and I’m not too fond of the thoughts of taking so much fluoride which is suspected of inducing cancer, rare that that case may be. I like sparkling. For medical reasons I need a lot of liquid as I cannot absorb much. Secondly I have MS and sometimes have difficulty holding my knife and fork, let alone a 5 litre bottle and emptying it into keep bottles.

I explained all this type of thing in previous posts. I have bad days & better days when I can get out, it can be a BIG effort at times. When I make that effort I would expect the process to be easy. When I find a machine rejects nearly every bottle, that’s not acceptable, when I journey in and find another machine is not available, well time to turn home with my collection, I don’t have the energy that day to do a tour of south Dublin.

I’m not a huge exception in society. There’s many like me, for various reasons, find energy & effort needs to be conserved. Having such a poorly run scheme is grossly unfair to such people and indeed people were lied to by TDs. I don’t routinely use a wheelchair, yet, but many fo, a TD when interviewed in the radio told the interviewer that all machines were adapted to the needs of wheelchair users.

These kind of things I rail against, I don’t accept. I have played my part in acting for change in the past, I have done my little bit to get things changed and cut through bullshit. It’s how change happens, and change only happens with pressure. If we are to have such a scheme it needs to be like Denmark, where you can throw in 100 bottles, get money into your account if you wish. Shops being the only ones involved is quite frankly corrupted the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭jj880

Exactly. Some simple changes would improve things immensely. Unfortunately gombeens made promises to retailers so we keep getting told Re-Turn is great as it is.

Ive posted a few times here about 6 stage RO under sink filter for drinking and cooking. Best thing we ever got as our tap water is putrid and stinks of chemicals. You don't realise just how bad it is in your locality until you have clean water in your own home. Sounds like it could be a big money saver for you. Added bonus of less deposits in Re-Turn's slush fund.

I keep a big bottle of tap water in the fridge. My tap water is fine, but having it cold makes it nicer to my taste. Same applies to bought water. For those who do need to buy water, the suggestion to buy the 5 litre bottles and divide it as needed is a good one.

Looking at the Tesco prices 20 x 250 ml is €9 before the deposit. Even worse 5 x 1 litre is €10, before deposit. 5 litres in a big bottle is €1.45, no deposit. In the time of a Cost of Living Crisis people need to be smart about this sort of rip off. But if people do need to use 250 ml bottles, one time purchase would be enough, and then buy the 5 litres for refills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭howiya

What made it dawn on me that there are shills for ReTurn in the thread is that they didn't agree with refuse collection companies being able to access the deposit for items they receive via household collections.

Would have got us as close to 100% as possible save for littering and dumping.

But no, its not about reaching the targets. Its about protecting ReTurns revenue scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If you store tap water for 24 hours, the chlorine goes away. What happens to it?

It evaporates.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Shan Doras

Why aren't restaurants and airport departure areas exempt from changing the levy ? Exempt venues could put an X over the barcode with a permanent black marker at the point of sale

Because the entire scheme was not fully thought out?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Because it's about money. Environmental considerations are a distant second. And the negative impact on the people footing the bill probably wasn't considered at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

You have to pay extra for a can of beer or coke in a restaurant, due to DRS?

• Advertisement

Coke in restaurants comes in glass bottles. I've not bought a can of beer in a pub or restaurant since before the scam, I mean scheme came in, but there are no exemptions, so I would assume so.

Post edited by LambshankRedemption on

Advertisement