Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Govt will force this through and someone will get burned to death

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Areas earmarked for IPAs will be areas with a facility to accommodate them. That is the main driver. Someone has a premises they are willing to rent to the govt. Doesnt matter where it is.

Did we ever hear more from the govt on the large camps they intended to build?

If the larger camps can hold the numbers being processed, we would start to see a reduction in small hotels and the like being used to accommodate IPAs. But those large camps still seem a long way from being ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Harrowing piece from the BBC detailing female genetiel mutilation which is very common in Somalia. I believe a lot of Somalians are now coming to Ireland so this is worth a read and think about.

Should Somalians not be attending classes in Ireland what is acceptable here? Scandinavian countries already do. Is there any data on if the procedures continue on young Somalians living in Ireland, UK or the EU?

This report really highlights how cultural differences are polar opposites for many moving here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cyx0perl8yno

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Ireland is a neo-liberalist utopia. Encouraging women to have children would only have the feminists up in arms and angry again. Our citizens are leaving and we don't have a problem with this. In fact it's glorified - they're going off for better experiences etc….

• Advertisement

There will always be enough immigrants to support ireland's economy as we are a tiny country.

The tricky part is being able to maintain the jobs that pay for everything. We have done an amazing job in that regard to date, but for how much longer can we keep so many high paid jobs in the country?

That's the real question.

That all comes down to education, education and education. You cannot run a successful economy without an educated workforce and this is why Australia operates a points system based on skills/services on who gets to stay and who doesn't. It is a complete fantasy to state that immigrants alone can maintain the country.

Agreed that education is key. But you still need skilled migrants to keep the jobs here, just as Australia, the US and every other country does.

My point was more about being able to keep the jobs themselves here long term.

Whoever is doing those jobs is paying a lot of tax and we get the corporate windfalls to boot, but with the 15% minimum corporation tax and other factors, there is a risk to those jobs staying here long term.

If we start to see the exiting of MNCs, the economy is gone.

The exiting or forced emigration of Irish citizens is currently ongoing and the immigrants replacing them in places like Coolock and Dundrum (Tipp) aren't exactly coming from countries high on the OECD list for education. We are also reducing our standards in various positions to fill jobs that are vacant.

For example in the education sector foreign immigrants who have no Irish are being given the opportunity to attend courses in the Gaeltacht for a few weeks where they are then guaranteed to pass and thus be eligible to teach Irish in a primary school. Ironically for people living in Ireland and going through the CAO system they still require a H4 in L Cert HL Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Terrier2023

I read the article and its a very damning picture of our future island. But i also add to his argument that migrants wont solve the issue. The men ( mostly young men )being crammed into unsuitable " warehousing" is not good either. These are a vast cauldron of mixed peoples most of whom have never worked in an organised society in their lives, paid taxes and partook in a community. The men coming here are out casts & surplus in the 3 rd world families where the lack of contraception has the poor female breeding annually and the surplus are best exported as hanging around is just useless eating of the small resources in their towns & villages. The jobs they will get will be government sponsored so if they fail no repercussion, in the real workforce failure = sacking. They will nevr understand an organised society tax paying community etc.

The exodus from the garda is very apparent my neighbour has 2 relatives in the garda and they have handed in their notice, so will these peoples be recruited to police over us and that is also a bad thing as the violence they are used to we have never seen so that will be another powder keg. I do think not questioning EU & the forcing migrants on us is very dangerous & the blind re electing Van Der leyen is shooting our selves in the head. She is a bought woman and she doesnt care how she destroys societies she has her orders and the financial compensation is too great for her to disobey. the great fault of the EU was the slush fund which bought every naive politician off and coloured their ideals to the detriment of us the irish people.

The EU is trying very hard for the united states of europe where we all dissolve our sovereignty & our individual identities. The united states of america is not a happy place and why would we make europe like it. No body on the world stage is challenging WEF or WHO or UN everyone is towing the line and it doesnt make sense. Do we have to wait till its too late & the plan is in place and we have no choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Hard to admit but the Irish government doesnt care about us and cares more about refugees and the EU than us .

What Irish community wants undocumented refugees hanging around all day getting dole money and a free gaff?

I honestly believe that the future of the European Union is at stake. Continued mass immigration from some of the poorest countries in the world will lead to calls to shut up borders and the election of the likes of Le Pen in France & AfD in Germany over the next few years. In fact if the AfD take power in Germany you can kiss goodnight to the EU.

Plenty of skilled migrants coming to the country, without whom we would not be able to function.

Asylum Seekers are not the same as skilled migrants.

Number of irish leaving each year is broadly the same as the numbers returning, though the ones returning are more likley to be parental age rather than 20's/early 30s.

There is a threat to the EU, certainly.

But then look at the UK. Not part of the EU and experiencing the same problems. Leaving the EU wouldnt stop global asylum migration.

The real solution is in helping the world's poorer countries avoid mass migration in the first place.

Very very difficult to achieve, as we all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Brendan O'Connor said that journalists are being attacked in these immigration protests. One had her car damaged. Sunday Papers review so not sure which ones.

I know there are issues with the media but there is zero honour in attacking journalists. It should never happen, no excuse.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Yep, I think the EU will break up over immigration. Maybe in 10+ years after the numbers get astronomical.

Sorry this was a reply to @Peter Flynt

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly at

More Irish people are leaving this country than returning. There are indeed skilled migrants coming here with many working in the health sector where massive shortages in staff remain. Asylum seekers are generally from poor countries with poor education systems, and many are here to stay. So you have skilled leaving, some skilled immigrating and now vast numbers of unskilled also immigrating.

What's the plan for the unskilled? Give them free jobs, houses and benefits for life? Because I don't see what the alternative is.

David Quinn the absolute freak from Iona? No thanks. He'd have the whole country back under Roman control. I detest all organised religion and we've known about the ageing population for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Terrier2023

The skilled migrants like the phillipino nurses the lebanese doctor whom i had an encounter with, superb, the indian tech workers all great,they came in legally BUT they all go home they send money home and their ultimate goal is to have a big saving in order to live in their native countries with their extended families. working here means they can educate their kids in the homeland. They will not be here to pay our pensions like our own natives, nor will their off spring they will be in their various countries claiming a pension therein lies the crux of the whole issue. We are being falsly told they will pay for our old age they wont already Germany is flailing with a social welfare budget for migrants remember a million were invited in .

A government minister only thinks in the short term while he has a bit of power he feasts and strategizes on how he can stay in his little seat he goes with the flow to endear himself to bigger powers and votes with them, eats with them and climbs the greasy pole all the while ignoring what his blind ambition does to his constituency & the country in general . Ivan Yates says this in his memoir. The minute a person gets into government he spends the next 4 years working on how to stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Ozvaldo

I think the real solution is border security and patrol boats returning them back to France

• Advertisement

Irish leaving and returning is broadly the same. About 30k each way, annually.

Asylum migration is certianly an issue, i agree. We have to find a way to balance our infrastructure against the numbers of asylum seeekers arriving and there does not seem to be any coherent plan to acheive this.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Miharo

I hope it wasn't Kitty Holland, that would be terrible.

If they choose to go home to india, they are still paying taxes whilst they work here and are supporting our economy today. Paying our pensioners, building our roads, hospitals and schools etc.

If they decide to go home to india, their job is taken by someone else who then pays our taxes for us.

The real risk is when the job itself dissapears, and nobody pays anything into the irish coffers. Thats when the system collapses.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Miharo

I always think it's a very poor stance to attack a person rather than the content of what they are saying

I would usually agree with you. Message more important than the messenger. I'd agree 99% of the time.

But when it comes to Iona, they are complete religious freaks. They would have Mother and Baby homes still open. Very anti-women even though they wheel out Mrs Stein to prove the opposite. No, Iona are firmly on the Ignore list.

I think Quinn himself is a psychopath. He will certainly use the immigration crisis to his own ends. Don't be fooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

No the real solution is doing what Poland does and saying no. We're signed up to some archaic post WW2 humanitarian laws that tie your hands behind your back. That's the real issue. Countries like Poland, Hungary etc they're taking flack for their anti immigration stances but they still do it.

In Polands case they clearly had no issue with culturally similar people from Ukraine. The key factor here is being culturally similar. It creates stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The numbers leaving and returnng differ by about 1-2 thousand in the past 5 years .

I do agree with this to a certain extent.

We took over our own country in 1922 and then handed control of it to the RCC. After they lost power we handed it to the EU. It almost seems at times that the troika never left.

Ireland doesnt have a mainstream political party that would take that approach. FG are the centre right party, but in reality, they are centre left on social issues, along with FF and SF even further left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭prunudo

It shows the disconnect between the government, media classes and with the citizens who are protesting. The media and government contuinually use inflammatory language and print lies about the people in these communities.

Not condoning violence or criminal damage, but is it any wonder there is a push back against journalists from certain publications when they are merely government propaganda.

Advertisement