Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump the Megathread part II - threadbans and mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Tried writing a response with quotes and news articles but keeps getting lost and not saved in drafts.

The birth cert stuff may have been around before Trump but it doesn't make him look like a good human if he gets involved.

From politico, Trump responded, “CNN is fake news. I don’t take questions from CNN.” Hilary may have used the phrase fake news but Trump used it anytime there was a question he didn't like.

This is getting into he did it, no she did it, no he did it territory, but the Republicans weren't exactly cooperative with Obama, stonewalling him at every step. In terms of conceding, there are these quoting Clinton clearly conceding the election. Trump still claims it was stolen. Not supporting a president is different to not conceding.

https://www.npr.org/2016/11/09/501425243/watch-live-hillary-clinton-concedes-presidential-race-to-donald-trump

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/clinton-concedes-to-trump-we-owe-him-an-open-mind-231118.

My point was that Trump never shows his human side. A side which I would consider to be compassionate, empathetic and looking to improve the lives of people. If you are incompetent and mess up your goal of dismantling Obamacare and actually improve it, that is not showing a human side. If you get rid of climate agreements that look to control the impact of climate change on the world, that is not looking to improve the lives of people.

The tax cuts were big on corporation tax, but from the BBC

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42205181

Most Americans across all income levels would see modest tax breaks until 2026 and the committee said after that families earning under $75,000 a year would likely face higher taxes.

And from the same article, regarding health insurance...

Some opponents highlighted a measure that would end a requirement introduced under Obamacare for most taxpayers to buy health insurance or face a fine. According to the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office, scrapping the mandate would push up insurance premiums and lead to 13 million people losing cover by 2027.

People on low incomes likely to pay higher taxes is not a good thing when corporation tax was slashed.

Auditing the Pentagon is a good step, but I would imagine that North Korean leadership, Russian leadership, and Chinese leadership occasionally audit stuff. Not showing humanity here.

Covid, yeah, many if not all world leaders made mistakes, but Trump needed to take centre stage. Needed to be out in front rather than letting experts lead. Cut funding to the CDC. Had no plans in place to distribute health care items, kept down playing it, made states battle and contact him directly to get supplies. Nobody expected anyone to be perfect but I don't remember much in the way of compassion and empathy from Trump, just more sh1t stirring.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,624 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Many world leaders struggled with Covid. Understandably given the unique, immediate and massive issue it was.

But while we can argue about the decisions made, in most cases they were at least trying to do the best for their country.

Trump was very different. He was clearly making decisions based on what was best for him. From downplaying it from the start, to making it a China virus rather than looking to focus on dealing with it.

Lying about testing numbers, cases and actual deaths. Making up rubbish on the podium about possible treatments. Failing to stand behind the mask wearing mandates.

Making it political in complementing GOP governors that refused to lock down whilst berating Dem government you did.

Allowing the narrative to grow that somehow Fauci was part of a deep state operation to make it all worse instead of getting the US to work together to fight a common enemy.

At the countries hour of need, rather than be a leader and look to galvanise the country he wanted only to make himself the story and be thanked for everything he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭briany

This is exactly why Trump was a terrible president, because when the shít hit the fan, he couldn't just put on his big boy pants and go with some common sense bi-partisan health messaging. He had to play the same stupid political games he'd been playing for the previous three years, flailing about and going on tirades. Like, STFU and get on with your job. Be a proper statesman for once.

He couldn't do it.

Happily for him, however, the plan for his next administration will be to sack anyone in the various governmental agencies who would disagree with him on matters of policy or display any significant degree of disloyalty, replacing them with MAGA sycophants. Problem solved on his end.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,655 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It's even more than that. Trump is openly saying that Smart ie rich, people need to be looked after.

And the people in the crowd, no doubt including those struggling economically, cheer.

And they claim Trump will make their lives better. He openly stated that he is focused on smart people. Unsurprisingly he counts himself as one of those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭mun1

good article in the London times today re JD Vance/Trump and peter Thiel (of PayPal mafia fame) as the puppet master.

Peter Thiels life Philosophy is far right to say the least,

So the “Billionaires for Trump” is an official group now.

Nothing to do with Bidens proposed tax on those earning over €100m a year of course.

I know both parties need the support of the rich but this is nuts.

“Before Thiel gave Vance’s campaign the largest individual donation for a Senate race in history — $15 million in 2022 — the Hillbilly Elegy author was a neophyte politician on the road to an embarrassing defeat in Ohio. The money turned his campaign around. “

“As Thiel’s fortune grew — he is worth $8 billion — and his grievances with progressive groupthink, overregulation and sclerotic universities swelled, he began taking a venture capital approach to politics, investing in and guiding smart young men who might agree with or could be persuaded to embrace his burn-it-all-down ethos.”

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

He would have potentially lost votes from the mental cases that called it a hoax, pandemic etc its not like that there isn't ample evidence of that. So what if people have to die to keep those votes was and still is the thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Biden out of the race and Trump immediately releases a vile statement and fundraising email. He is the epitome of human scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I can’t recall how Trump ultimately got the “ticket” for 2016 but I clearly remember what I thought throughout the summer/early autumn of that year.

Trump was making outrageous claims and statements as is his want - I asked myself, is this guy completely stupid? I figured no, he wasn’t. So then I asked why is he making such statements? Ie things like build a wall, talking disparagingly about emigrants etc

I came to the conclusion that he had the data that such statements were resonating with a significant proportion of his potential electorate.

So I started saying to anyone who would listen in real life “Guys, Trump is going to win” - I was met with either silence or ridicule - ok obviously we know the outcome now.

I think the FBI supposed investigation killed Hilary’s chance - it came late in the day, practically no time to recover- I don’t think visiting anywhere would have made a difference- also, she had a few dizzy spells if memory serves - that didn’t help her.

Did Trump win in 2016 or did Hilary lose? I’m not sure, I think it’s a close call and strong arguments on both sides - for 2024, right now, I’d say Democrats are losing it in the sense that they know Trump- they’ve had that experience- they’re not at all prepared- ALL of the current issues were predictable - they should have sorted this sh1t months ago - right now it’s Trumps election to lose- Democrats need to right now, “grow” a credible candidate for the next 4 months in order to win - that won’t be easy.

• Advertisement

Yeah it’s a very strange conundrum - I think part of the answer is that it takes a fcking hell of a lot of money to “grow” a US presidential candidate - oddly enough, given the population approaching 1/4 billion people, they still can’t get an alternative to Trump - but I think this is more about the historical process , maybe apathy and probably mainly about money- the Republican senators etc also want to hold their seats- they won’t want to move too much away from the party line that got them their last seat.

Trump should now step aside , as an old man in his 80s , he’s too old and frail to take this on.

He’s in severe mental decline and his speech last night was very worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 15,623 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Trump needs to step down now.

He is senile.

He talks nonsense and is completely confused particularly when he has no speaking notes/autocue.

He lies constantly yet does not realise this. Or does not care.

Last week he almost got his head blown off on the campaign trail.

He then gave a bizarre, strange speech in Milwaukee.

I am a mental health advocate and mean no offence but…

There is an Irish saying “not right in the head” - it applies to him.

Found 45's statement.

"A new tone" my bollox....

I assume all those that were not Trump supporters but just couldn't get behind Biden as he was too old and frail will now bring the same level to Trump since clearly Harris is much better age and mental shape.

I'll wait......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,623 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I very much doubt DJT actually wrote that message -

We have innate sense checks on this.

He is “not right in the head”, you could tell by the way he was almost crying, then laughing hysterically, then crying again - at his most recent speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Trump is too old.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I believe Trump won as he was something completely unexpected for the Dems to get a handle on, he didn't play by the political-election game rules. His "I'm going to do this, that and the other" statements were done so perfectly, in line with his show-host style of conning the audience and not in the way politicians make their election-action promises. The GOP were just lucky that he was on their team at the time and not the other team.

The way he did his walk behind Hilary at her rostrum on their debate night was an example of his TV show skill in getting a cheer from the audience; in that case the voters, making her appear weak compared to him. In hindsight, it was a public display of his attitude towards how he handled and played women, no pun intended, just his inner-person on display. Her lack of response to his stunt by saying "WTF" and chewing him out for it made her look weak to the audience Trump was playing to.

He got lucky with the FBI investigation into Hilary and her use of private electronic machines for official communication purposes as they were playing by rules tying down their response to the situation of the time, things being so fluid on the investigation-front with the FBI [Dir Comey] asking itself if it was being led from a criminal investigation into national politics for political benefit by the person not under investigation.

At present, it looks like Trump is on the up and up and it therefor is a game for him to lose. The Dems public-private argument over their candidate [before they have their convention] is playing right for him at the moment, with them losing to Trump in the publicity gamesmanship he adores.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,068 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So what should Hilary have done?

Seems like this will shift the focus of the publicity game to the Dems and away from Trump. He had the spotlight last week with the shooting, VP pick and convention. Spotlight now elsewhere.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Harris needs to make sure she doesn’t end up alone in a room with Trump and his small “fingers”

Yeah totally - what do you think of Harris chances? My view is one hell of a clear and focused campaign starting tomorrow and she could do it, just about- it would give her the time to run a few rings around Trump and his VP - I just don’t think she’ll be given that fighting chance

“The Prosecutor versus The Criminal” : that should be her campaign slogan !

Given how fast the media cycle moves these days she has ample time.

Would an open Democratic primary have made a difference?

Doubtful.

As if voters who dont know who the VP is pay attention to primaries.

If you mean the live TV debate; do something unexpected for him, like a challenge "are you really stalking me live on air on our debate on nationwide TV?" Embarrass the F*** out of him and catch him - figuratively -with his pants down displaying his natural persona. Presently every woman and teenage girl in the US should know what to expect from the 45th if they were to meet him on a one on one personal basis. Its all there on the record….

If you mean Hilary and the 2015 FBI investigation, I can't answer the unknown there….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

JD VANCE follows up after his masters voice above:

Joe Biden has been the worst President in my lifetime and Kamala Harris has been right there with him every step of the way. Over the last four years she co-signed Biden's open border and green scam policies that drove up the cost of housing and groceries. She owns all of these failures, and she lied for nearly four years about Biden's mental capacity--saddling the nation with a president who can't do the job.

President Trump and I are ready to save America, whoever's at the top of the Democrat ticket. Bring it on.

https://x.com/JDVance1/status/1815119847941984550

OK so we can see where their focus will be- calling Harris JB2- only minor edits to their scripts already written months ago

Lol "bring it on"

He shat himself when she challenged him to a debate!

• Advertisement

Harris's best mode would be attack-dog; go for Trump's electoral neck all the time. It's how he plays the game. All Harris has to do is make sure the wording of her statements ally perfectly with whatever Trump statement or act she is responding to, goad him into using his own media site "Truth Social" to make them. Make the undeniable link between his and his ownership of the site he used for his statements plain in her responses, give him no plausible "I read it/heard it/they said it" deniability.

It could/should increase her chances of getting the nomination [should Joe step aside from his candidacy re-election bid]. Winning over the women's vote should be "I am here for you" her focus. To use a simile, The Dems need to make Trump release the inner "Mr Hyde" in him, not unlike the "release the Kraken" used by one of Trumps own electoral past.

The Dem publicity machine must tear apart Trump's latest call to the electorate "I took a bullet for [you] democracy", show it to be the fake news it is.

Post edited by aloyisious on

Advertisement