Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Open 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

He shot a 77. The next worst from the late starters was a 73. His playing partner who's no where near as talents or as experienced shot a 73. It was avery poor round from Lowry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

he lives in Florida now and hangs out with all the other pampered ****

It must have an effect after awhile

I think it has anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Would there be a lot more attendees at an Open compared to a Ryder cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭JVince

Yes - as the crowd is spread out a lot more and over a longer day.

The Ryder cup only has 4 matches in play at any one time except the final day. Even then it's only 12 pairings to follow

Tomorrow there are 40 pairings to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭big_drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭blackwhite

77th of 80 in strokes gained putting today.

Even before the rot started on 8 he had missed some very good birdie opportunities.

His chipping was uncharacteristically poor on the back 9 as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

and you don’t think conditions came into it? A buddy of mine was over there and he said there was a stretch of 3 holes on the back 9 that they couldn’t see properly such was the force of the driving wind and rain. Everyone had to play the conditions but with the pressure on, something has to give with someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I want Lowry to win as much as anyone, but you have to say he played poorly. Yes, he was unlucky on a couple of putts, very close on a few, but some were poor. Yes, conditions were atrocious, but they were for a lot of golfers, especially for those who teed off late. I mentioned earlier that you have to go way, way down the leaderboard to find someone who scored as badly today.

A couple of holes stood out to me, the postage stamp par 3. He watched Brown go in the coffin bunker, then went in straight after him, the swing was awful, you knew it wasn't going to be good. On 11, he was in the middle of the fairway for his 2nd shot, he tried to play a low shot into the wind and instead topped the ball.

Now I don't know if this is true, but I did hear him giving out after his 3rd shot. But I was surprised his 2nd shot, was only in the short stuff. Apparently it hit a reporter which stopped it going further wayward, and then had a go at him after he duffed the 3rd shot. And I heard him swearing on previous shots, but that's what Shane does when things are going wrong.

I would have thought Shane would be the one to thrive in those conditions, but he didn't, he wilted as much as anyone, and more so than anyone anywhere near the summit of the leaderboard. It was the comment in the media before today that they play in benign conditions on the US Tour.

Post edited by sligeach on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Conditions come into it to a degree - but not to the degree of ranking 77 out of 80 for putting today.
    The conditions weren’t the reason he lashed at his drive on 18 and sent it way right - that was a horrible swing in any conditions.

Whether it was a combination of the weather and pressure that got to him on the back 9; he let frustration get the better of him and it impacted a few of his shots. If McIlory had a blow-up like that he’d be rightly criticised for it also.

At least in this case, Shane is has tomorrow still to come. He’s only 3 back and if he can play like he did Thursday/Friday then he has every chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

So I was right, you don’t have a clue about golf. If you think “talent” comes into into the equation in the final group of a British open on a Saturday then you don’t know a whole lot about the game. Do you think Brown got lucky to end up in that position? If they picked a fella off a barstool in the town of Troon and put him on the first tee then your point might be valid. He lacks experience at this level absolutely I agree with that, but talent isn’t something the guy is lacking. That’s a ridiculous statement. Without looking it up I would take a guess and say about 1 shot separates 1st to last in the scoring average for the entire season on the European Tour and PGA tour.

I don’t care if Lowry goes out and shoots 100 tomorrow, it means nothing to me if he’s Irish or not. I want the player that plays best to win every tournament. But these rounds happen, look at Koepka today he shot a 78. The weather was horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

Talent is irrelevant? Lol, no idea where to even go with that one.

Can't get enough of golf when the Majors are on. Just watched The Long Game on Netflix. It's a true story and well worth a watch for anybody who hasn't seen it.

Looking at the weather for tomorrow in South Ayrshire and it's doesn't look like the winds will be that strong, 11 mph predicted but gusts of 20 mph which might cause a problem. It's predicted there'll be rain about 5pm.

You could see somebody coming from behind to win this.

I'd love if Shane managed to come back and win it but it's hard to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Coombes_Is_Still_At_Home

alright QB whisperer…..maybe Mac Jones will win?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭cosatron

Shefflers tee shot on 17 was something else and billy ho chips shots toward the end. There is something endearing about billy, comes over every September to play Wentworth. If lowry doesn't win, I hope billy does

Billy might have used up all his luck yesterday. He is a nice guy for sure and a big West Ham fan. I'd live to see him win it like you if it's not Shane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Will be fully up for Rose outside of Lowry, be some full circle since first seeing him as an amateur back in 98

What do people think the winning score will be? I'm thinking -6 might be an outright winner, -5 maybe a playoff.

Looking at the weather just now and it's looking like the rain might get heavy around 4.30-5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭cosatron

Who know. 5 or 6 under

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭G1032

Think I kind of want Rose to win. Lowry has his Open Championship to win.

Rose had to make it through qualifying too. His golf has been exceptional so far. Only 4 bogies in 3 rounds on that course in those conditions is amazing. He always comes across as a nice guy to me. I hope he wins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The winds look to be up for the morning starters and dying off in the evening.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sheffler looks like he’s on it today. Giving himself chances anyway, only 2 off the lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Doc07

Billy big balls off to a flyer

This is already shaping up very nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Tee shot off 2 could be a confidence shaker 🫣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,643 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Shane -2 now and only 2 behind. Let's hope he continues to play well and the petulance won't start when he hits a bad shot. Needs to keep his composure. The leaderboard has many big names now in contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,643 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Should be -3 in a few minutes after that chip.

Lawrence was very close to going into the Coffin on 8. Lucky.

Wish they’d throw out those gimps shouting hawk tuah all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

Someone needs to tell Sarah to stop shouting

Horschel got so jammy on that bunker shot on 8. He clipped the lip of the bunker and it stopped within 5 or 6 feet of the flag. A little lower and he'd be still in the bunker, and if it hadn't clipped it, who knows where it might have stopped. He still unbelievably missed his par putt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

I am liking Schauffele at this this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bluebb993

Shane needs to get to 6 to have a slight chance

Sin é…I think. Doesn’t look like there is any beating Xander.

That's that now I'd assume. Heading for an anticlimactic finish unless Lawrence or Rose can conjour something up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In fairness to Schauffele he has played outstanding golf today. Deserved winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Wouldn't mind seeing a replay of that Scheffler tee shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Today and yesterday. Scored two under in some of the worst conditions. Including a birdie on the postage stamp.

• Advertisement

Disappointingly damp squib of a finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

Would you all be saying the same thing if it was Shane leading? As 2019 was a complete bore then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

He looked to have an issue with his lower back on that swing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Good that it was tight and somebody really went out and won it, savage scoring to do that

Brilliant from Xander.

Had looked a bit of a nearly man a couple of years back but now two great major wins and more to come I suspect. Perfect temperment.

some par by Lawrence on the last.

Clean sweep for USA in the Majors.

Can't see an obvious candidate from Europe to win one in the next 2/3 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rory, aberg, hovland to name but three. All will have great chances 🤞

• Advertisement

For all Schefflers dominance he only has 2 majors, and hasn't won one outside of Augusta. Xander now has two also and if you'd ask me which of them will win one again I'd say Xander.

My mate lives in the States. He was playing a couple weeks ago and Xander was putting next to him. Xander spent 8 hours on the putting green that day 😱. Didn't do him any ha

Advertisement