Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Looks like the privilege style be finished operating the Chicago flight tomorrow but being replaced by a smartlynx malta to operate from monday

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭sailing

If industrial action is suspended why do Aer Lingus still require wet lease aircraft to operate their schedule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Cancellations have already been made and aircraft already leased, those leases need to be honoured and it starts getting messy when previously cancelled flights start getting uncancelled after people had been refunded and rebooked. There should be no more going forward tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The SmartLynx A333 that's due to arrive later today to operate for EI is fitted with 436 seats, all-economy layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Aer Lingus required several wet leases through last summer to operate their schedule, and there was no industrial action/ work to rule etc. Also were several ACMIs on the ramp as early as April this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

True yes, but they weren't also cancelling over 100 flights per week along with it. The earlier hire ins this year were due to a combination of tech aircraft, the late return of EIK after refit and EIL going down for refit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭cson

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dig5251

Do we know how long it will be flying for Aer Lingus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

For a week, I've heard, though that could change.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Ei123 to operated by aerlingus on the 20th so unless it's going to used on other flights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭coupons1987

Looks like today is one of the days Aer Lingus will be very happy to be on there own legacy IT system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Yup its all IBM and Citrix stuff, what will kill it is the local pc used to host the terminal session into Astral, but the core system is good as long as it has power and connectivity

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭sherology

XLR is EASA certified as if today on the LEAP model… good news for Iberia.

FAA approval is the the important one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

FAA approval will follow the EASA approval.
    Its the same criteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭john boye

I'd assume the poster was referring to FAA approval from a political standpoint

The XLR approval from EASA is for only 97 tonnes maximum weight, which is the exact same weight as a 321 NEO LR. It sounds like they have problems with that centre tank that the FAA have reservations about.

FAA approval in this instance is seperate to EASA. They have requested additional testing for the centre tank on the aircraft that has had to be modified from original design.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Qaanaaq

Not sure how you are coming to that conclusion. There is no additional testing required by the FAA and certification is expected to follow shortly. I'm not sure why the initial cert is for 97T but there is probably a rational explanation for it. Most airlines won't need a higher MTOW than that initially anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

EI lounge only, not the DAA lounge.

Yeah the check-in desks look like a particularly amateurish job. There's no baggage belt, just a scales so the staff have to drag your bag from the scales onto a trolley and manually bring it around to a belt.

Baggage belt will be fitted. Current set-up is temporary.

Aer Lingus have to wait for DAA to install them.

• Advertisement

The extra 4 ton is required when all fuel capacity is loaded, and that includes an optional and removable fuel tank in the front cargo hold - the rear tanks of the LR now gone and replaced with the new integrated tank.

The EASA approval will allow Iberia to get moving and flight testing when they get the frame - in a few months, with only limited restriction - and without that front tank - if not forthcoming before handover.

FAA approval is needed to enter US airspace, but as you said, it should be forthcoming. The solutions devised by Airbus to solute the earlier (but oddly post design and production) concerns regarding the RCT have been developed with and approved by (to my knowledge) the FAA. They include a stronger, different material, and reprofiled (with moulded belly skids) underbelly fairing, stronger landing gear, fire retardant/perforation resistant wrapped RCT etc.

The FAA requested further evidence (I believe that's the best term) that said design/strengthening etc. will work. I assume this can only be done mathematically (through modelling) unless the FAA require a destructive test - which I haven't heard anything about aka crashing a fuel laden tank onto a hard surface. It may be that the tank fire retardant and Kevlar material needs to have some evidentiary functional testing to show it meets whatever AB say it does i.e. holds flames back for X minutes, and stops high velocity projectiles from perforating the material etc. Again, whatever this is, is known by AB and in progress if not done, awaiting paperwork... Again, to my knowledge... It's all a bit detail-short... In the public.

Post edited by sherology on

Not my conclusion. It’s well documented. The current A321 NEO LR which Aer Lingus operates has a maximum take off weight of 97 tonnes.

The Xtra long range 321 is being sold as a 101 tonne aircraft, hence the difference and more importantly the range.

The certification as it stands is for a 97 tonne aircraft making one of the highly publicised fuel tanks unusable. The FAA weren’t happy with the design and required further testing. This seems not to have taken place yet or the design is such than it can’t comply with their requirements. ie Five minutes controlled fire test.

The reason this is significant in terms of Aer Lingus is: They were supposed to launch the aircraft with the Minneapolis route this winter. With the aircraft only certified to 97 tonnes, it wouldn’t have the range.

Launch of Airbus A321XLR in Jeopardy: Critical Fire Safety Issues Compromise Future Operations

by Gary Leff on May 10, 2024

The FAA has come out with new conditionsprior to certifying the Airbus A321XLR.

This new aircraft type is a longer range version of the A321. It has a rear center fuel tank to support additional flying, such as from the Northeast of the U.S. to Europe.

The additional center fuel tank is located in the plane’s lower fuselage, rather than its wings, partially replacing a cargo compartment. The top of the fuel tank is right below the floor of the passenger cabin. The tank’s walls are part of the plane’s structure, and the exterior of the aircraft is, essentially, a tank wall.

Concern here is that in the effect of a crash, a ground fire might set the fuel ablaze. Or any ground fire that the aircraft is exposed to could penetrate the aircraft skin, light the fuel on fire, and go straight through to the passenger cabin since it doesn’t have the usual insulation which likes the fuselage skin of most passenger planes.

They’re calling for testing or design changes to demonstrate the aircraft would delay any ignition during a ground fire for five minutes in order to support evacuation of the aircraft. In order to accomplish this, re-engineering the plane with a system to reduce flammability or mitigate ignition may be needed.

As Enilria, who flagged this new rule, points out Airbus has already had to deal with issues related to the extra fuel tank. Airbus made changes to reduce exposure of the cabin to the fuel tank, but the FAA’s issues are about external fire exposure to the tank.

• Solutions could add weight and further reduce the aircraft’s range, which was the point of the new variant.

United, American and JetBlue are all counting on this plane. So is Air Canada, Qantas, and numerous other carriers. Iberia is expected to operate the first one. American in particular needs this aircraft.

Regarding the 97T approval... Flightglobal yesterday:

EASA confirms to FlightGlobal that this is the current certified figure.

“However, Airbus intends to soon bring it up to 101t through a specific major change,” says the regulator.

“This will, for instance, allow the installation of an optional forward auxiliary centre tank that is supposed to be certified in the near future.”

Airbus states that it is working on required customer configurations for the aircraft.

I've been reading a lot of 'analysis' on the FAAs RCT conditions but a lot of it seems to be more spiel of previous concerns than new ones.

There are production models produced and in production so it would be odd if they went ahead with that with an unapproved design. Anywho... I know no more than what I've said. We'll know in a few months.

QED

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Astral Nav

Lots of aircraft are certified with different MTOW and MLW depending on the status of modifications and fit out, in some cases it can even be done tactically with a engineering sign off to clear the new limit. This has even been used to save landing and nav charges as they are based on certified weights.

True but not for initial manufacturer certification of an aircraft.

That Gary Leff article from May, quoted above is a bit misleading.

Ive tried to keep following that testing/production discussion on A.net.

It seems Airbus have saved weight by eliminating the optional ACT which allows more range with the overall 97t weight. (My understanding could be badly off here)

Post edited by Tenger on

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Qaanaaq

You concluded there was a problem with the RCT which there isn't.

Those FAA requirements are not new. It was the the late publication of them recently that made some online commentators to incorrectly assume they were new requirements.

The RCT testing is all done and already approved by EASA, FAA approval is expected to follow shortly.

My guess is that because a new landing gear was developed for 101T compared to 97T that for whatever reason this did not have enough time to get approved. This will follow on in the next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Some new Aer Lingus Short Haul routes to be announced soon. The routes already have an operator at DUB.

2 New, 1 Resumption if my records are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Poland2020

British Airways have just announced that they’ll be going all Boeing. Streamlining 787 variants and 777-8 and 777-9.

350’s probably to Iberia. Just shows you can’t rule anything out with IAG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 LimaBravoTango

Advertisement