Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2024 (Mod note #869)

Options
1323334353638»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think Rhasidat would be crazy to miss the 4 x 400m mixed relay if the team was to qualify for the final. There's no guarantee she will even medal in the 400 individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Unfortunately the 4x400 Mixed Final is 6 days before the Women's 400m final, and just 2 days before the Women's 400m Heats.

So if she has to give up the Mixed Relay, she will have to do so before she begins her tilt at individual success.

It will come down very much to team decision and a close analysis of every one of her indicators and markers.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dolldot2

She may come back for final if they make it to final without her but she hardly going be doing the earlier rounds… when she has her own individual rounds to get through and I think that will be her focus. Nothing guaranteed Pryce who ran that crazy time today had strapping on her lower leg her body bound to be hurting hopefully that Arkansas coach isn’t running her into the ground like he did with Wilson last year so nothing guaranteed in two weeks and she has to go through 3 rounds now to get into that final … obviously after todays performance she is the one to beat and all eyes will be on her.. 🏅

Although Rhasidat ran a sub par performance by her standards today she will regroup and be ready to go for it when the time matters without any pressure that she expected to medal!

A single 400m mixed relay final would surely be totally doable for her. It's not as if she would need to be at her absolute peak in the 400m heats 48 hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Some huge jumps being made in PBs all over the place. Nickisha Pryce had never run sub 50 before 2024 and is now down to 48.5!!! Klaver has set two PBs in her last two races and is half a second quicker than she was in Rome. Kaczmarek has set 2 PBs and improved by half a second from last year. Meanwhile Rhasidat has improved by .13 from last year. I hope her team have timed it right and we will see an improvement similar to the others, or else something dodgy is going on. Pryce was running 53s just 2 years ago, 5 second improvements!!! Is older than Adeleke and was well behind her last year.

Said it before, but don't see Adeleke running the mixed relays, she has as much chance of an individual medal as a relay medal, so cant see her risking her individual chances for maybe a medal in relays.

• Advertisement

Out of all today that 48.57 is the one I would question the most her improvements are astonishing especially after winning the NCAA in June and she lowers her PB again to the 7th fastest ever in the world… generational talent perhaps but how is her body able to hold up after a long NCAA season she started her season in January whereas the professionals start their season in April/May and the significance of that win today against the seasoned professionals like Klaver and Kaczmarek …

Mixed relay final would be just one extra 400m race for her though. Also, you could imagine she would be absolutely kicking herself afterwards if she failed to medal in the 400m having decided not to run the mixed relay (assuming the team qualifies).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Some great Irish performances in the Euro U-18 championships in Slovakia. 4 medals so far, all from the young men.

Thomas Williams - gold in the hammer.
    Cian Crampton - bronze in the discus.
    Conor Kelly - bronze in the 400m. He’s a real prospect, already sub 47 at 17 years old.
    Joe Burke - bronze in the 200m.

Ben Sykes also made the final of the men’s 100m. More medal potential tomorrow with Saoirse Fitzgerald and Pia Langton both making the women’s 800m final and Bobby More making the men’s 800m.

It’s so encouraging to see our junior athletes diversifying into the field events and building on our growing reputation as a nation with proficiency in the sprints.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,685 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Very good article by Ian O’Riordan in yesterday’s Irish Times on Mary Purcell. Represented Ireland in 1972 and 1976 at the Olympics. She boycotted 1980 Moscow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

The times have all dropped . Seems most obvious in the 800m.

Shoes/tracks/wavelight and less so training/nutrition

Letsrun is speculating everyone from 400-1500 is now on the Maurten bi-carb system

• Advertisement

I’d say the owl banned substances works much better to improve performance 😂😂

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/nutrition/supplements/a44648010/maurten-bicarb-system/

I cannot believe the Olympics start next week we have definitely have some medal prospects rowing, boxing, swimming and gymnastics going be bloody fantastic cannot wait!! Athletics starts 2 weeks from today really hope to see some good performances especially would love to see Sarah Healy make a final, hopefully Ciara can round into a bit of form and Rhasidat and the mixed relay. Mark English is rounding into good form a final would be an amazing achievement but going be tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You can't really throw, what in Irish are termed 'asachans' at everybody in the sport. That's just wrong. Alsways guessed Roger Bannister was on some sauce😉.

you got me all wrong I am only making the reference that review of this product suggests only 1% performance improvement but the real cheaters in sport will always be streets ahead when it comes to improving performance but not making reference to anyone just joking 🙃 This product is a nutritional support helping to improve performance

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭drury..

I read that it's more than 1%

My point was that it may partly explain the superlative performances we're saying across the board

You went off on a tangent about doping

It's very clear that times in many events have taken a recent leap

Yes but not all athletes are clean surely you know that… regardless of shoes, nutrition, tracks etc

I am also not saying everyone who dropping times is dopping but I did make my point about Pryce improvements a relatively unknown athlete who never ran sub 50 until May and now she running 48.57 that a PB after a long NCAA season! 7th fastest ever … that crazy.

I read somewhere yesterday people were suspicious about Georgina Bell improvements after a massive PB yesterday in the 800m but she was a very talented junior athlete who gave up athletics and returned to the sport in her late 20s so I don’t believe she dopping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

That applies the other way as well, if she ran the mixed relay and then mised out on an individual medal. It will be very interesting to see how many individual medal contenders run the mixed relay. Doing it at Worlds which are every two years is very different than Olympics. Will Bol run for the Netherlands for example? I can see a lot of the top athletes missing the mixed relays. When Poland won last time out, they didn't have anyone who was a genuine individual medal contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Do you post under 2 accounts? Your reply reads like you're replying for Water John. Sign in under the wrong account?

Advertisement