Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

Horrendous rain. Driving down from Ballinamore to Ardagh and back wasn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Appalling day in Cork, nothing left to say really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

"8th of July was the only summers day that had no clouds for 12 hours".. lol, July 2022 and 2023 didn't have even one!

Not even close to the absolute worst summers on record, we've had some truly horrendous ones! As has been mentioned, it feels even worse and tedious given what has gone on before.

Dublin Airport summer data for each summer since 2007 and its respective calculated summer index below. 2024 figures are an estimation using the standard 1991-2020 August and current avg hrs of sun this July to date multiplied by the amount of days left. I have done this as the index would not work otherwise.

Rain days are days with 0.2mm of rain or more. As can be seen, if we were to get an average August hypothetically (neither amazing or horrendous), 2024 has an estimated index of 196 which is actually slightly above that of 2023 but this is down to the number of rain days - both the mean max and total sunshine would be worse than 2023 showing it's not a perfect "objective" measure of looking at summer and the devil is in the detail.

The worst summers 2020, 2012 and 2007 had indexes under 170 whilst the best summers 2018, 2013 and 2022 had indexes above 250.

I've seen a number saying how cloudy this summer has been.

By this point in summer 2020, Dublin Airport had 200.7 hrs of sun. 2024 is running on 244.0 hrs of sun. Not good but significantly better. Not sure how this stacks up historically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭mcburns07

As you say, the devil in the detail. A week with 7 average to poor days is going to appear worse than a week with 2 good days and 5 poor days, even if the stats might make them equal. Similar concept to mild nights propping up average temps or bad weekends distorting perception of weather for those of us who do the Mon-Fri 9-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭compsys

Thanks as always Sryan. You're a wealth of information. And such a valuable member of the forum.

So many people post on here based on (recent) feelings and perceptions. And I get that weather can be subjective. And it's human nature to be prone to recency bias.

But it's so great to have someone with all the stats and statistics to hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Unfortunately, not all of Dublin, but I'm glad the match wasn't ruined by rain. We've had light rain almost continuously since lunchtime in West Dublin.

The mosquitoes have appeared in numbers here this evening for the first time this summer.

I'm fed up of 2024 like many here which I vented my frustrations on but you won't see me exaggerating that it's the worst summer of all-time at least based on what has happened so far. It's definitely not though still hasn't been good. Of course August could change all that slightly better or for even worse. We just have to wait and see. Will it be classic Autumngust or will it finally end this mediocrity with at least some excitement or memorable weather?

Whatever the case, no doubt I will try and make the most of it. A good sunrise or sunset is enough to keep me by these days 😂 though the wind can respectfully get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

great info Sryan thanks and also great to see you once again nail the myth that the Covid summer of 2020 was some sort of 1976/1995 event!

Another gloriously cloudy breezy dank evening here. Not much rain but zero brightness. Just so gloomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Robwindstorm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Ya don't HAVE to back up Any stats but it's much appreciated if you do

• Advertisement

Opinions and recollections are always welcomed. Like when I'm doing a historical weather analysis, I am looking for stats, photos and then people's memories of what happened on a local level which the former two may not always show especially with our sparse station network.

I always talk about stats because they do not have the limitation of human memory. They are recorded once and then (likely) saved as long as we live particularly in the digitisation era, maybe less so years back. Then there is also general bias and confirmation bias. Somebody may remember a weather period very differently to someone else due to local variations, short term memory loss, experience or just a different opinion altogether as with say the worst summers above which can be very subjective. That is not to say that stats don't also have their bias. We have seen many times in the modern era where mild nights can skew a month towards significantly warmer than average even though we may not remember it as a warm month. But that can be resolved by looking at the broader details rather than looking at a glass half full view which in this case is the overall mean temperature. This measure is useful for looking at overall trend in temperature over a long time scale but is sometimes not a great teller of how warm or cold a month was in people's experiences where the average daily max temperature would be much more useful - also a calculated average windchill I guess.

Recollections or archives of old media and photographs are useful for looking back when stats are limited. For example, there's not a lot available on the winter of 1947 which we know was the most severe in Irish memory when it got going in the second half of January lasting until mid-March. If you were to look at the individual day to day stats from the limited number of stations, it doesn't seem all that extreme compared to some others we've seen. There were few nights with a minimum temperature beneath -10C, 2010 had plenty of those in January and November/December. And there wasn't a lot of statistical ice days. However, we know the impacts were much worse than what these stats would lead you to believe and there's photographic proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭glightning

1995 really was an epic summer with some superb lightning storms up here in the north in the autumn. I was at college at the time and I remember many hot sunny days. August especially was very sunny and hot.

Post edited by DOCARCH on

Stats are just that though. Stats

They don’t truly paint how a season really felt to us during the hours that we are up and doing things.

It’s daylight in summer from before 5am and light until 11pm. If the stats say 4 hours of sunshine it means nothing if that was from 5am to 8am and then 10pm to 11pm with the rest of the day overcast or raining. A very common thing on this island with zonal weather patterns the most frequent.

So I think our human perception does matter. Despite people having different perspectives and recollections. And it’s not just recent bias.

p.s. I not criticising referring to stats so don’t get me wrong. I’m just pointing out that stats do not provide granular detail on what each day was like from our perspective. e.g. Did the sunshine occur when it could be appreciated? Was there wind chill? Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Last year here in carrick on shannon was the best for thunderstorms we had 8 days back to back I couldn't believe it and I think in total their was 14 or 17 thunder days from May to September

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭compsys

Yes. That's a fair point and those are good examples.

But stats are a very good and important starting point for any discussion on the weather, and I just wish people referred to them a bit more on this forum.

There's so much misinformation out there these days. Stats and facts are important.

And I do think they generally tally reasonably well with what's experienced. But you're correct that they won't capture everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Thunder87

I'd say the past few months are a perfect example of stats not matching the lived experience, May was the 'hottest' on record yet for most people I think it was a fairly forgettable month with lots of grey windy days. June was seemingly around average temp and sunshine wise in Dublin yet perceptively it was again full of unpleasant windy grey days. And summer 2020 might have been worse statistically but we'd just come out of an amazing spring with weeks and weeks of sunshine so we'd already lived a summer of sorts whereas this year there's been nothing but the odd day here and there so it feels worse than it probably is

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Rugbyf565

fair enough, I think my feelings & perceptions are greatly affected by fond memories of the summers of 2022, 2021, 2018 and 2013. I remember those summers having >5 days above 25 degrees and much less cloudiness. It’s a selective memory obviously and a statistically false one as you’ve shown. The climate of Ireland is far worse than I even realise but my expectations have also risen each year. I don’t know if my rising expectations are a reflection of the terrible political, socio-economic, more demanding labor/working conditions and declining cultural landscape here—that as time has gone by—and as I’ve grown older, I’ve allowed the weather to become a much greater factor in influencing my mood each day. I definitely used to not notice the weather as much and was generally in-different to it, but I feel as a nation we’ve all become much more dependent on nice weather in recent years as the social conditions around us have deteriorated with pandemics, isolation, technology & media overloading, housing, migration & economic crises, violence & crime in the cities. Stress, panic, and depression becoming the most common responses. Having a few days of sunshine gives our bodies and minds time to heal and go outside and reflect, relax and forget about everything else. Enjoying time outside with others at the park, mountains or at sea as opposed to indoors inside the pub. When the weather is bad we feel like we have to postpone our enjoyment/pleasure and retreat/resort back to depression. In this way, my weather intuition is greatly marred.

Great information on Dublin Airport. Thanks again Syranbruen.

Meanwhile in my part of Leitrim 12C and very cloudy after overnight rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Greay, muggy, looks like it's threatening to rain out there. Anyway, the dog couldn't care less what the weather is threatening to do. She wants her walk and a walk she'll get………….14 c N Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Edgardo.

Beautiful refreshing 23 degrees here in Madrid. Perfect dog walking weather.

Hitting 41c later this week! At least it's dry heat so the shade helps.

16c cloudy. 87% humidity. West Waterford.

I wouldn't dream of walking my dog in 23c, although mainly because of her breed(Malamute)

I know I speak about it a lot (as it is my local and have the data readily available from already analysing) but try to do others that are more relevant to posters or not sound IMBYism.

It’s a shame Leitrim data is so limited. Believe the only Met station available there that records temperature is Ballinamore which we have to wait months for to come in.

Anyway appropriate that I just woke up to light rain here in Dublin and very dark/gloomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭pad199207

Mild and Misty morning in N Kildare

I learn a hell of a lot about weather thanks to you. Keep it coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

From Madrid to Waterford in 4 minutes. Impressive.

• Advertisement

From Madrid to Waterford in 4 minutes. Impressive.

I know right :) Here in Madrid working atm but remote camera in Waterford.

Advertisement