Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I know....just felt his caddy could have calmed him down or guided him back on track a bit more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

I don't think you're being too harsh at all. Shane seems like a grand fella in general but far too much having a go at fans, volunteers, caddies. Not a nice trait. I've no huge issue with him hanging a club or the odd expletive but leave the spectators out of it. Not their fault he hits a bad shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Shane is more charismatic than the average pro golfer. Which is why he's held up as bit of the people's champion.

He should be getting told by his team how much of a good draw he had weather wise the first two days and to suck up his whinging and go out and win it today.

Post edited by PokeHerKing on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭techdiver

What annoyed me the most yesterday was if you compare his attitude to Rose. Both had things not go their way but Rose battled to a good round whereas Shane threw in the towel and got angry.

I hope he can brush it off today and put himself back in contention but I worry that this has passed him now and there will be a hangover from yesterday.

For those saying that the caddy should calm him down, I'm pretty sure Shane is the type of person on the course that is impossible to talk off the ledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It doesn't matter what you think. If you've been watching the tournament you'll have heard the response of the crowd every time he hits a good shot. They love him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Justin Rose is a class act. Would love to see him win. He hung in really well yesterday. Lowry could learn a lot from him. Very different people in fairness.

Yes but crowd reaction in.the moment not exactly a great metric of what people generally think of a lad…over time you can just be known as a cranky old grumpy bollix....so Shane would want to watch himself.

This happened with Clarke and Monty ..crowds can turn over time..

Not a massive fan of Rose ...but the contrast of him and Shane was extraordinary...Justin had an absolute wonderful attitude..a much older lad with more miles on clock...He actually was laughing at the madness of it and as he finished he was smiling and reflective of it all..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭riddles

it’s because he’s got character and shows emotion people like that specially anyone whose played the game. The American clones by contrast play amazingly consistent and brilliant golf but are emotionless and executing the process.

You can have character and show emotion..but not be an arsehole.

He needs to be careful , even on NLU there other night, they were, we are getting a bit tired of the stereotypical fun paddy thing...being a crank is not part of the good side of that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I Cant see Shane winning today unfortunately. He is rattled after yesterday. Everyone has to deal with the conditions and course layout. Shane is one of the only ones complaining though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

That really isn’t the problem.

You can eff the ball and course out of it like Hatton, which is ridiculous and annoying

And/or do what Lowry and Poulter did and does

Eff and blind the unpaid volunteers, camera men out of it

The latter is what is really putting me and allot of others off.

Then pissing and moaning about the course afterwards is typical pampered **** stuff

He will.play well.but sadly too far back (imo)

if he plays well he’s not too far back.

-4 could win this. -5 has a great chance of winning.

I don’t think he’ll play well enough myself unless his putter warms back up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Good opening shot anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Followed by a terrible 2nd shot. Staring bogey in the face

Thats a terrible shot from 72 yards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,512 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I saw him treat Bo like **** on more than one occasion on the course (in person…and a few more on tv) effing and blinding at him. Caddy isn’t going to help you much with that carry on. And your point about his behaviour yesterday being more like Rory…have you ever seen Rory abuse volunteers or the crowd?

Rory reference is the giving up ,

No Rory is a class act on the course..

Bogey on the third, it's not going to be his day.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

he’s done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Doc07

they think it’s all over…it is now (and I say that sadly as a massive Lowry fan)

I hope he holds on for a top 10 though and then has a good go at the FedEx in September

The Open is very good this year though with 4-5 lads all still on with a great chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭techdiver

Missed every green so far.

I'm very worried for the rest of his round. He missed a 6 footer for par. He lost confidence in the flat stick yesterday and it cost him at least three shots.

Back under par now. Come on to ****

Hopefully that birdie sets him off now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Two in a row now. Horschel with a tough par putt to come.

Go on Shane.

skys coverage is pretty annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,600 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Shane needs another 2 birdies and could get them if the putter warms up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Doc07

come on Shane!!!

Another, -3 now and right back in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Shane should get a read from Scott's birdie attempt putt.

Right back in it! 🤞

Lowry makes that birdie putt, -4. Very different from yesterday when he made double bogey here on 8.

• Advertisement

Shane didn't give it enough welly on that birdie attempt putt on 10.

he’s right in this now. Finish on -4 and he could make a play off

That was 10

just plonked it in the rough on 11….again!

Nobody move or look at him, photograph, film or even breath or your going to get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Bogey

Lawrence playing as if it's a practice day. Not a bit of nerves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭basillarkin

4 back now

• Advertisement

F###### hell Shane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Trampas

Turned into a usual tournament for last few years. Gets into contention and pressure builds and drops back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Xander10

Having showed the composure after the double bogey on Friday, it was really disappointing how childishly he behaved on Saturday after 1 or 2 bad breaks. Beat himself in the 3rd round.

Hopefully he will learn from it. Chance to go for Gold shortly

It was never going to be this - he was too far back and brought too many low scoring lads back into the mix.

As it turns out - Shane might have had his work cut out to win no matter what.

ok thanks

Wind died down

what does he win for fourth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭abff

He earns $611,000 for finishing 6th. Winner gets $3.1m.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Seems to be taken for granted a bit at times, or maybe doesn’t fit in with the identikit of what some golf types see as a top golfer. He’s a winner and doesn’t like losing and a few on here don’t really get that.

Deserves better than some of the comments from the so called golf “experts” on here.

A good result in the end another top 10 Major finish, and more experience to bank as well especially regarding that meltdown in the 3rd round. He’s a really solid professional is Shane. A Major winner and hopefully more to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dublin49

Shane was in an inflated position after Fri round as half the field were totally disadvantaged the first 2 days.he was on the opposite side of that luck yesterday with knobs on when the course was barely playable on the difficult back nine while earlier starters were shooting well under par.The is no doubt that if he putted slightly better he would have been close to a 2nd Open win,but I suppose that is why he is not a top 10 player.

So mixed bag ,dont think he was beating Schauffle this week but with a bit of composure yesterday should have finished higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rooney30

Anyone else feel the mask is slipping a bit with Lowry ??Barking at camera men , spectators all week , acting like a bit of a dick at times . Has previous form in this respect playing Ryder cup If he was British or some other nationality we’d be calling him out for this for sure !

• Advertisement
Advertisement