Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Box to box

Anyone else hear huw lawlor might be going travelling next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Village87

we are miles off Clare and Cork in full flow

did we not absolutely **** away a semi final against clare?all the chances we missed along with finishing with braindead tactics and bringing on lads who were bet. Both defences today arevery open

I did say full flow. Clare were far from that against us.

Cork allowing them to be full flow. Poor defending on both sides. Extra time gone flat. Replay the better option.

• Advertisement

Johnny Murphy is doing a good job today. Can't understand why there wasn't just a replay. The importance of squads today.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ttowncat

Bn

Lukas the s&c guy has being involved in 3 all ireland winning teams.Both teams deserve huge credit. I wonder will lads here think it wasn't as bad of a year because we threw away a semi final against the all ireland winners. We wouldn't of had the subs today to bring on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Enda McEvoy told me in February he had a strong fancy for Clare to win the All Ireland this year. He thought they had put a very strong panel together and could go all the way. Hope he had a few euro on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Some shocking decisions in a semi final left them in a match that they should have lost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Johnny Murphy morphed into Brian gavin today thankfully

He referred completely differently up to todays game 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 27 neverbet

Brilliant game, wonderful Clare worthy champions. Cork lost nothing in defeat., Tony Kelly Motm what a player, Mikey Butler the latest recipient of your bitter gripes can take a bow for his efforts when paired against him. Kilkenny can also hold their heads high.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Decisions???…. Several missed chances left them in the game, is that what you mean? Scoreless for the last 17 minutes killed us too.

In all fairness Kilkenny have great tradition that spooks opposition and is worth a few points and a team that will fight until the end.Unfortunately we are an average team. No way we can put up scores like Cork, Clare, Limerick when they get in full flow, our games evolves around stopping these teams.

Maybe but games between Munster teams very often end up in high scoring shootouts, we make it a very different type of game where there’s huge emphasis on work rate and efficiency when it comes to scoring chances. We’re usually very efficient with our chances but under Derek not so much and we leave teams in games we should be winning. Very frustrating considering todays result.

Well doe clare,hard to begrudge them.To be fair clare beat kk 3 times and like any close match we had chances where we could of won the semi final. Infact clare give you lots of chances to score. I blame tactically and management got it very wrong and deserve the criticism. There's a few lads here who take comfort or happy enough in being narrowly bet by the champions. This isn't good enough and this is the reason we arent winning any more at any level. I know only one team can win every year but we threw away that semi final. There's some here who think the fitness isn't a contributing factor for fading from game. I agree all teams are superfit but there's a reason that lukas guy now has 3 all irelands with winning teams. Every other county have high profile guys.Have we done anything to investigate why we have faded out of important games. I wouldnt think so.I've nothing against anyone involved but these are the facts. These lads are grand for club teams but county is a different set up. Everyone is entitled to their opinion opinion of course but I think the whole thing needs to looked at. The bottom line is we are to mane. Like it or lump it tactically,training facilities,underage results. We are years behind. The longer lads are happy to get bet in a semi final or final the longer we will win nothing. I don't know how anyone could defend that county board. Maybe you have someone involved and I know there's work in the background but there's work in every county going on. This is a given. We will agree to disagree but I just think the longer we are happy to get bet the longer the rot will continue. The stats don't lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hogans heroes

Any top team are hard to stop in full flow including kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭blackcard

Fwiw, were Kilkenny the only team to be beaten once?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Jesus that would be a massive blow for the senior team. I'd regard Huw as the best full back in the country.

• Advertisement

well didn’t I send you good news last night on the previous page with all our underage teams winning, some people might scoff at this but I feel we are making real progress underage this year despite the end results. It’s amazing what a bit of shaking up in the underage structure can do. Re. Michael Fennelly if we keep improving these structures then the success will surely come.

Speaking as a hurling fan Cork contributed to a great 2024 hurling championship participating in 3 of the best games ever played and bringing an incredible razzmatazz to the championship, playing an unbelievable brand. Hurling was never in better shape entertainment wise.

Bet, cork wish they had a mikey butler

well didn’t I send you good news last night on the previous page with all our underage teams winning, some people might scoff at this but I feel we are making real progress underage this year despite the end results. It’s amazing what a bit of shaking up in the underage structure can do. Re. Michael Fennelly if we keep improving these structures then the success will surely come.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Spot on, as a spectacle hurling has never been better, but is being facilitated by an abandonment of the rules to fuel that "entertainment"

Just before throw in yesterday, we had Cusack all but appealing to the ref to ignore the rules of the game and just let it flow. Let them throw, let them have their 8 steps, let keepers puck out the ball before the ref signals, let keepers steal 5 yards on puck outs, let players have a bas the size of a frying pan making it impossible to not hit the ball cleanly etc

I hate to be a killjoy, but I believe in 5 years’ time we will be looking back at these score fests and question the wisdom of making the game ridiculously easy in order to make it "look great"

And I don’t believe for a second Kilkenny couldn’t have lived with either team yesterday.

We were told by many here and the media that there was a chasm in standards between the two semifinals, and yet the winner came from the supposedly "inferior” semi.

Again, I contend, that people are getting carried away by high scoring spectacles and not seeing the flaws in those games because it is all so exciting.

In soccer, when you get the odd roller coaster game that ends 4-3, it’s great entertainment, but if most games finished 4-3, there would be a root and branch overhaul to stop the game being made too easy. In hurling we all sit back and gush (and btw if someone else sends me that frigging text about the English man who watched the final and was blown away, I’ll cry). We are too fond of people praising the game as a "great spectacle” and in danger of allowing the game to become just that, “a spectacle” for people to gush at, but I believe that will end badly.

All Ireland Final 2029 limerick 5-39 Cork 4-37?

Never thought I’d live long enough to feel sorry for Cork losing an AIF, but I do, they were desperately unlucky to not have at least got a draw (and remember they were badly done by ref in first match v Clare in 2013 also).

For all my reservations above, Cork and their fans did light up the championship and the atmosphere inside and outside the ground was maybe the best ever on AIF day

Clear pull of the Jersey being ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭crossman47

Yes indeed. They lacked a ruthless defender above all.

If he goes for a year or 2 it is very hard to come back to Intercounty hurling at 30/31.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

As my family says: Cork play beautiful games and usually lose them! Too soft!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I'd agree Rice and Donovan do seem to be good coaches from what I've seen of them and it does look like Rice has been trying to implement a better puckout strategy which has looked good at various stages of the year. Phelan is in there as a coach and has been there since around 2021 and I don't think things have improved a whole lot over the last 3/4 years to say he is having a big impact, now maybe I'm wrong and he isn't in there as a coach and doing a lot of the coaching but I wouldn't be surprised to see him step away this winter.

I'd also agree that there probably isn't a massive amount of standout candidates to step in. I've mentioned Tom Mullaly as someone who I'd like to see involved with KK teams but I don't for the life of me think he'll step away from an I/C job to be a selector/coach with us, I'd imagine he'd tough it out another year and hope if Lyng steps away next year he might be in contention. He is manager of Carlow but himself and Paddy Mullaly do nearly all of the training and coaching and from talking to a couple of the Carlow players they all have great time for him.

I think if they are looking to add someone to the management team for next year Paddy Mullaly would be a good shout, he's a good coach and I know from his time at Mullinavat they had great time for him and thought he was an excellent coach. Tommy Shefflin could be another option and has had success where ever he's been. Would Richie O'Neill be an option now that himself and Henry are gone from Galway but I suppose that could depend on what Henry does next. As you rightfully say there probably isn't a massive amount of standout coaches in Kilkenny and even at club level a lot of clubs have coaches from outside, this is something that the CB and Mick Fennelly's team will also need to look at we do seem to have a lack of very good coaches waiting to step in.

Advertisement