Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Ah look im being harsh. But the call at the end. When a jersey is pulled like that and your 5-10 meters away its easy to pick up on it. And as a ref you cant give a free in against mcinerney and not give him a second yellow. Its either a free and yellow or neither.

Also intercounty refs are the only ones who get away with not penalising throwing the ball. I call it each and every time and get slaughtered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

My stream cut out. Still haven't seen him smile!

Lads anyone know how to multi quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭17togo

I can't wait any longer.... I want to here the thoughts of the hurling prophet... The golden Miller.

Whatever about what some may call bogey ref calls... We still weren't beating by 10 to 15 points!

It may be petty but there's nothing nicer than seeing lads eat their words!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Oh Nostradamus posted already after the match… basically, even though Cork lost today, they will dominate the championship for many years to come 🤦‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Yes was frustrating seeing Cork use pretty much the same tactic as in the semi and getting absolutely cleaned out by the Clare half back line, limerick were toren asunder by them

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

you’re wrong.

the game was decided by Clare’s ability to carve Cork open time and time and time again.

There was a Cork supporter on here after the semi final, apologies but I don’t remember the particular username, who pointed out that as convincing the win against Limerick was, Cork still give up a lot of chances, and this could prove costly against Clare.

Fair play to that poster, they were bang on the money.

I’m more a rugby person than a hurling person (I’m a casual hurling watcher at best), Cork remind me of a rugby team that has great backs and no forwards, which is to say they are a team that can do the fancy moves but don’t have the cattle for when you just need to dig yourself out of the shite.

Clare aren’t particularly great in this department either, I think they were pretty soft in the first half against Kilkenny, but crucially they were better at it than Cork today.

When they needed to get a few score in a row they got them. John Conlon was a colossus in defence, pretty much ate up everything thrown at him. They got goals at key moments.

Outside of the Cork blitz in the first 10/15 minutes Clare were the better team and Cork were chasing it IMO. A deserved win, and only for their own wastefulness they should have won it in normal time.

That’s my 2 cents anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pundits and general media over the years have a lot to answer for and is why you end up with refereeing performances like today.

Referees who apply the rules get criticised for being too picky or whistle happy, while referees who ignore blatant fouling get lauded for "letting the game flow".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

Kelly looks like a guy who is gutted to be interviewed by cantwell twice in 20 mins. She is a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭17togo

Ah bollix, I missed that. I quickly scrolled through a few pages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

I wrote the following on here yesterday:

"In all seriousness, with the way the game has gone and the way the public assesses a referees performance these days, the easiest thing for the referee to do in an All-Ireland final is to avoid making any big calls by letting it flow as much as possible. Yes, they may get their wrists slapped from assessors later but a referee doesn't want the final to be remembered mainly for a decision they made or for being so fussy that they are accused of ruining the game. So I think we will a bit of a free for all tomorrow especially when you consider Murphy's last outing"

In short I thought it was likely that Murphy would let as much as possible go today, and I don't blame him, it's a product of how pundits and the public assess referees performances, they want the refs to let it flow and the last time he tried to lay down a marker it went horribly wrong.

What do you think as a ref? Wasnt the easiest thing for him was to avoid as many big calls as possible, let it flow so as to not be seen as fussy and the neutral public will be kind to him. Referee assessors may not but that is not public and who will remember that in 20 years time

With this approach you generally get a great spectacle and the neutral spectator is the winner. However often the losing team is left feeling aggrieved and the neutral public having enjoyed the game have very little tolerance for the aggrieved highlighting the reasons for their grievances, see Mantis's post about Cork supporters for example

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭BQQ

most neutrals think the referee was great

If he’d blown for all the fouls we’d have a free-taking contest and probably a red card With the game decided not by players but officials

Instead we had a game for the ages and people are complaining?

Best Thing for me was - two lads jostling each other off the ball. One of them dived on the floor trying to get the other lad sent off - ref told him to get up ta f**k and waited for a stop in play to book them both

Top class refereeing

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭sportsmaddad

On the refereeing decisions today. As someone pointed out here earlier, so many hurling pundits happily excuse the repeated disregard for rules in literally every game throughout the season. Steps and thrown passes especially. So why should we expect them to call out errors in the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Cathal Malone's shifts are seriously underrated. Not even mentioned.

Well then the GAA need to make that absolutely clear in the rules. Jersey pulling, tripping and pushing should be explicitly permitted in the rules as things a referee can ignore and not penalise.

Then there is a level playing field and the losing team can not feel aggrieved at the ref but at themselves for not fouling enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,685 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Some a the fooking nitpicking about the referee is laughable. He had a good game. Clare deserved the win. A point in it, but overall Clare that little bit better.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Conlon deserved a MOTM nomination IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Here's a screenshot of it... worth posting it just because the chap's posts are so deluded

Cantwell reminded me of misses Doyle doing that last interview. Tony Kelly reacted exactly how I would have. At least she's not on the panel. Jacqui Hurley an absolute gem and puts her to shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,765 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I cant believe people actually fall for it after all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

But the game WAS decided by the officials.
    If the biggest day of the year is won by joke decisions, then the whole championship is undermined. How do you prepare to deal with that next year?

This type of refereeing promotes fouling as it goes unpunished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Ah sure no. Its a foul but its hurling. Sure like what about it. Football much better officiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭blackvalley

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

No because the whistle should have been long blown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

It's not the referee's job to create 'a game for the ages' or 'to let the game flow'. Their job is to apply the rules of the sport in a consistent manner.

For me, Johhny Murphy was quite good in general. But he didn't have the stones to make 2 big calls. Send off David McInerney for the trip 10mins from time, and call back the final shot for a blatant jersey pull.

The 1st of those decisions is inexplicable. He correctly gave a 20m free to Cork, thus acknowledging the foul. Therefore, it had to be a 2nd yellow for McInerney. I'd defy anyone to claim otherwise, except maybe a black card but the end result is the same. But Murphy decided he 'didn't want to ruin the game' by applying the rules of said game, and issuing the warranted 2nd yellow card. Either we have rules or we don't. Doesn't matter if it's the 1st round of the league or the AI final, the rules are the same.

Finally, is there anything to be said for getting proper umpires for AI championship games. And by that I mean not just 4 lads the ref has rounded up! Surely be to Christ, 4 intercounty referees could be used for the final at least? One from each province. A blatant 65 missed for Cork, again I'm guessing because the umpires weren't too enthused about making a bold but correct decision.

We're a long way off professionalism in the GAA, which is a pity given the efforts of the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭supernova5

for a rugby man you got that analysis spot on, Clare the better team and only for their dreadful inaccuracy would have 4/5 points to spare in normal time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

…..

Advertisement