Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭supernova5

yea criminally overlooked in every game for a good number of years now, what a warrior and critical to that team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Rosita

Cork scored 0-10 from frees, Clare 0-3. Cork can thank the ref for making it a contest after they collapsed and lost a seven point lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Not sure what his point is. Any ref the aim is to get the big calls right. Murphy didnt. Based on that he had a poor game. Simple really. If the ten percent of calls are non game deciding calls then nobody cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The media and pundits have effectively made it the referees job to not blow the whistle so as to allow the game flow. Refs who apply the rules are often criticised for being "too fussy". Pundits have said that red cards "ruin the spectacle".

It's easy to understand why blatant fouls like jersey pulling, throwing the ball, grabbing the hurley etc are not being penalised. There's huge pressure and expectation on referees to let these things go, even though they are explicitly against the rules of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Were they 10 frees? And 3 frees? Thats all that matters. The stats are irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

They need to remove Extra time for finals. The players were falling apart after giving it absolutely everything. For the odd year a reply happens 2 Extra weekends won't ruin the year.

And who's going to complain watching another final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Had the better of Darragh Fitzgibbon today which was huge for Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭17togo

Ah he has to be a professional wind up merchant do. I was thinking it after the way he was talking after they beat limerick.

But fair play to him he's good at what he does!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭Seadin

Not Corks fault that Clare gave them frees away?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭MfMan

Ref decisions today karma for Cork for inflicting Colm Lyons on the Galway/Dublin match; the 'net has a medium-term memory!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭BQQ

if Clare had lost they’d be the ones howling at the referee now

Black card not given when pulled down in for a goal in extra time

Free count heavily in cork’s favour

Cork got a free in front of the posts for an off the ball jersey pull in the first half ( how many times did that happen in the game, but only cork get a free for it)

It’s easy to pick these out in hindsight.

Cork are obviously going to be bitter after losing a close game, as Clare would have been if they were on the wrong side of it, but the fact is the best team won

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

I agree with you, so called hurling experts trying to 'protect the game'. Never recall the game being about pulling jerseys, tripping players, pulling on them with the hurley, dragging them to the ground and pushing your forearm into their face. Sure why call it hurling. Why not 30 lads in field with hurleys lacing into each other?

The likes of Jackie Tyrell and 'Dalo' have a lot to answer for....

Yeah. The GAA need to lay down a marker with pundits and the media so that referees can properly officiate a game without being open to criticism for doing that. Or if their main concern is "letting games flow" then the GAA need to state that and that obvious fouls like jersey pulls, tripping, throwing etc are permitted and will no longer be penalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭MfMan

Just don't know was it a black card offence. The Clare goalie and covering defender were at least as near to the breaking ball as would be the attacking Cork player had he not been pulled back; don't think it was a clear goal-scoring chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 LV-426

Just thinking it's a pity the all Ireland hurling final isn't played in September these days. If it was there's a fair few posters on here who would be tucked up in bed for school in the morn rather than posting bitter shite on here. Gobshites

The rule doesn't mention the term "clear goal scoring chance". It simply mentions denial of a "goal scoring opportunity", which is what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Make no mistake lads, the inevitable is coming down the line. We postpone it for one more year, but it's coming;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭BQQ

Was actually referring to a foul on a Clare player in extra time

Just to point out that both sides would have similar complaints if they were on the wrong side of the result

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭17togo

😂😂

Impressive bullshittery all the same. Fair play to you, you'll be right eventually all the same. Cork will probably win an all Ireland again sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Shanagher should really give his medal to Hoggy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

• Registered Users Posts: 38,379 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Congrats to Clare

What a way to win it, delighted for Lohan (he basically leveled Davys Clare managerial achievements in a single season)

Cork should be proud of there performance

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭caddy16

As a Clareman, delighted to beat them. The most ungracious fans to ever set foot in Croke Park. Complain away....

Brian Lohan has been manager for five seasons. Fitzgerald won an All Ireland with Clare in his second season. I realise "Davy" is a soft target but an occasional smattering of truth and context is no load. Both managers did a world of good for Clare.

Actually I think you'll find that the stats are all that matters. The scoreboard doesn't really do the qualitative stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,163 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I see few journalists saying Cork were " robbed"

As a Corkman all I can say is garbage to that notion.

Clare were the better team and Cork were no better than in second gear for most game. I suppose that's worst bit from cork point of view.

But Cork can blame the ref all they like but we simply were second best. Clare were more ruthless.

Cork are too nice. Gets you nowhere. Limerick, Tipp and Kilkenny all had it. Having sympathy for themselves and it will be another 20 years waiting. Cork will have become tough.

Blaming the ref is laughable.

It would have been "robbery" if Cork did win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I think it's the opposite problem. I watched a spectacular match today, but you come on here and it's a bunch of moany arse old fogies whinging about how it isn't like in the good old days for various contradictory reasons (the game is at once more cynical and full of fouls than the old days, and the game is being reffed too strictly these days at the expense of the flow of the game). Whether you or I am right about the reason, the result is the same, amazing how negative this thread is (count the last twenty posts and see how many of them have anything positive to say) when you look at the actual match that was played.

And of course the usual self important condescending nitpicking from the usual source, with nothing insightful to say about the actual match but plenty of patronizing and snide belittlement of others. Clogs up every thread they aren't banned from.

It was a great match, watching the highlights back it was even better than I appreciated at the time. What amazed me was how direct both teams were, they had both been set up to beat the limerick approach, and the result was a much more direct game tactically when they got into it. It also allowed for some moments of fantastic improvisation like with the first Clare goal (which people keep calling o Donnells goal even though he didn't score it, but I see why!) Kelly's goal, etc. Was a joy to watch it and I thought Kelly in particular carried himself very well afterwards in his speech, interviews etc. Sometimes I wish Lohan would cheer up a bit but actually it's very funny that he is so stony even when he wins an all Ireland.

Congrats to Clare, think on balance they deserved it. Cork look to be the coming team but that's been said many times about the losing side, and it doesn't always happen, look at Waterford a few years ago... All Ireland day is for winning, there's no guarantee of a return. You'd have to feel for Horgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,042 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Some lads just come in here after every game robotically complaining about refs or RTE.

Yesterday we even got complaints about RTE's coverage of the ref 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

It's not long ago that there was no extra time on All Ireland Final day. A draw after 70 minutes on the first game was a replay. Everyone complained about it ferociously and moaned that the GAA were all about money (with the common accusation that the ref played for a draw) and asked why can't they just finish it on the day and not put everyone through it again. The comparison to soccer and other major sports was always used. All other major sporting events finish it on the day. It seems that no matter what the GAA do, people are never happy.

My own view on it is a selfish one as a neutral. I'd have loved to have seen that game played again. Would it have been as good the next day? We'll never know. Would the same 30 players start in a week or two weeks time with fresh bodies? Hardly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Better team won, well done Clare, great achievement.

Advertisement