Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread 2024/25 - Teamtalk/Transfers/Gossip Mod Note in OP 26.09.24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I explained the conditions around my veto. I stated that having a veto is accompanied by the responibility to use it wisely and that to behave otherwise would undermine ones position. What part of that do you think is speculation?

I further stated that he might have a veto and probably should have one, imo. For the avoidance of doubt, the first part of that is not my speculation, it is yours - unless to use your words, you have seen his contract? The 2nd part is my opinion, not speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,482 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

We think these guys.

No - this guy.

Just a preference.

In his defence, I think he was trying to paraphrase me/ summarise my post. Which is stupid: I'm well aware of what I wrote because I wrote it and can read it again should I need to. I need nobody to distort or misrepresent my words.

I copied and pasted what you wrote.

I did not distort or misrepresent anything.

That's where I inferred that you viewed your experience as being in line with what ETH has.

Is inferring different from speculating? I suggest you accept people's words carry their intended meaning rather than inferring anything.

You did not copy and paste what I said. I said nothing of ETH's situation. It is a fact that having a professional responsibility means treating it with respect. Do you disagree?

If you don't infer from a conversation then you can't have a conversation. Without inference it's just letters. You infer meaning from the words. It's how things work.

This is your post.

This is what I pasted

I couldn't just say no and expect that that would be it, no further questions your honour. To suggest that's what ETH has, without any evidence, is outrageous speculation.

Its exactly from your post.

So, eh, why are you lying and trying to make out I've made that up and lied about you writing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

50 odd posts, bickering over something none of us have ever or will ever see, ie, ETHs contract. The season can't start soon enough so we can get back to getting triggered about a bad result on the field.

No. Statements carry meaning without inference. We can have a philosophical debate about signs & signifiers, but it feels irrelevant to the point. I could infer a meaning from your decision to attack the medium rather than the message, but I'll refrain.

I don't agree you can look to understand meaning without inference.

And how am I attacking a medium, or a message?

If I'd said understood from rather than inferred would you be angry about that too?

You could have simply said I inferred incorrectly, rather than saying I shouldn't be inferring meaning from your post.

• Advertisement

You accused me of speculation, which I rebuke. You selectively quoted (distortion/ misrepresentation) to support your accusation.

I won't expect an apology for calling me a liar.

What?

Refute if you wish, fine.

You said you didn't write what I pasted!

You did not copy and paste what I said.

That's a lie!

And I pasted it to try clear up confusion. Ie. This is where my understanding came from. If my understanding was wrong then fine. I though pointing to where my misunderstanding seems to have started was the correct thing, but you just ball on, accuse me of distorting your words and stating you never even said what I pasted?

Mich, I think it's clear the point has been abandoned. I have read enough that on reflection I'm ashamed that I bit this time, I shouldn't have. My apologies to our forum brethren. GGMU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think you'll just have to live with whatever veto you think ETH has as no one else seems to agree with you on how it will work in practice.

Clogging up the thread with the wish that ETH should have been sacked will go nowhere, everyone gets it, everyone can see it colours all your posts, it won't change until he is sacked or is successful.

I think INEOS have played this very well so far, if the new hierarchy want to get rid of ETH they will, they couldn't go into the season with the manager on his final year and recruitment so far seems much more coherent than previous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

That doesn't say Ten Hag vetoed any Raphinha deal.

It wouldn't be the most likely inference from the words either. The most likely inference from that quote is that 3 options were proposed and Ten Hag picked one of them. Thats not a "veto" in any language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

We've gone too long without a new signing.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Caustic

Ten hagg is probably vetoing then all :p

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭17togo

My face hurts after reading all this nonsense!

I feel I now am an expert in contract veto-ology!

Time to move on lads! 🙄😴

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kyleman

Absolute childish carry on that ruins this forum.

Make your point and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Any chance Amad gets a run in the team this season?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I don't see why not considering he was getting more minutes than others at RW towards the end of the season. Even if we switch to two up top with Zirkzee and Hojlund I still think he'll get significant game time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Quags

Talk of him getting a new deal and Pellistri being sold. So I think there is a chance, he is still raw in things he does.
    Issue would be what happens with Anthony & Sancho? Is sancho back in the good books or is the club playing it sweet so a club bites for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Well we can't forget Sanchos declaration that he won't play RW. Why give less time to a player with huge potential like Amad for someone like Sancho, who has disappointed and fallen out with management since his signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I think if we got a halfway decent offer for Sancho he'd be gone, makes sense to reintegrate him as keeping him ostracised merely reduces his "value". Best hope with Antony is a loan with a mandatory purchase clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Quote from Ten Hag yesterday

"We have to see Amad in a different way. Of course, he’s still young but he is not inexperienced any more. Last season he had bad times with bad injuries. Before that, he was in the Championship and he had a great season.

"At the end of last season, he had a very good time in our first team and played some good games. Now for this season, this has to be the year. It’s great that he starts like this. On Monday he couldn’t play, he was not allowed to go into Norway, but today he could play and he played a very good game."

• Advertisement

Sancho and Bruno both linked to PSG this morning.

I wouldn't sell Bruno, and I am surprised by PSG interest in Sancho.

But I do wonder if things go a bit crazy and we end up with Ugarte and Simmons from PSG and they take Sancho and Bruno.

I think losing Bruno would be a massive mistake, tbh. I think swapping Bruno for Simmons would move us further away from being a top 4 side, and we have to be a top 4 side before we can be a league contending side.

He played RW for Dortmund. I see no reason to actually think he has blankly refused to play a position for United. I do believe he has a preference to play on the left, but that doesn't mean he has 'declared' he won't play on the right. Rashford has declared a preference to play on the left. But has played central and right when asked. Players have a preferred position and preferred role. Doesn't mean they refuse to do anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Feels like a running theme lately unfortunately.

Can we not just get behind a new ownership who have the best interests of the club at heart, have pumped money into the club with plans to renovate and have actually got footballing people into the football roles at the club?

They have backed ETH as the first team coach (whether they wanted to or not) after doing a reasonable job in 2 years and while last seasons league campaign was rotten, I'm genuinely excited for the new season.

Not sure the last time I said that and actually meant that.

We're a million miles away from past Summers gone by and it feels like posters are waiting on ETH/INEOS to slip up so they can say "told you so."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I would like to think so. Performances and ETH's comments all pointing that way.

Can't help but thinking that his size is always going to hold him back a little in terms of nailing down a starting spot with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Simons might suit a more possession based game than Bruno. I'd be sad to see him go but I don't think it would be a major downgrade and a lot more upside.

• Advertisement

Upside over time, maybe, as the team changes, but we'd lose a lot of goals, and a lot of matches as a result. imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Amad should be our starting right sider, he showed more in the few games he got at the end of last season that anyone else. That's not to say he doesn't need to improve and show consistency, that's what's been lacking from anyone who's played right the last few seasons.

Pellestri looks to be out the door, he's had more than enough time to make an impact in a position we are struggling to fill. Amad would have been too but he took his chance when he got it.

I'd also expect one of Sancho and Antony to be sold/ loaned out. Perhaps both if the club can line up a replacement, they way they're operating now you couldn't rule it out, maybe closer to the end of the window. I agree we are more likely dressing up Sancho for the shop window more than determined to keep him.

McTominay may be kept to help with the home grown rule, a good few of our outgoings would have qualified as such and most incomings (signed or linked to) won't.

Not sure how we are fixed these days in regards to home grown, but if we are tight it could impact how keen we are to sell Rashford and Maguire as well as McT.

Can't see the club selling Bruno tbh. Maybe the PSG links are for Rashford & Sancho? Both clubs might have realised there is cross interest in a few players and deals could be done on the back of that.

I thought Garnacho generally looked quite good on the right tbh. I don't think Amad showed more than him.

Well it depends really, if it's the Bruno of most of last season then there probably won't be much lost but if it's the one that showed the last few weeks of the season then you're probably right.

The squad makeup isn't a "win now" one anyway so expectations should be relative to that 🤷🏻‍♂️

Not win the league now, no.
    but we do need to be making top 4.
    I'd be worried about the lack of goals if we swapped Simons for Bruno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Reviews take time. It's not remotely laughable at all.

Cool.
    I disagree.
    But don't want people spending the day whinging at me either, and the gaslighting me and stating I have made up things they've not said, so i'm not going to engage in an actual debate on this. I've made my feelings on the review clear in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It's hard to imagine us scoring fewer than 57 goals, or losing more than 14 games in a season again. That's what we're coming from, so I would welcome any change that can improve those stats.

Not saying Simons in, Bruno out is that change. But I would like to see if Bruno can be played deeper ocassionally, with a more possession based number 10 ahead of him in games that we should be dominating possession. Or at least making tactical switches mid game that sees a similar switch.

I would hope that the Zirkzee signing is a sign of Ineos recognising that a slight change is needed. We've become far too predictable and reliant on one person.

If they needed to be making top 4 they wouldn't be relying on players 21 and under playing consistently throughout the season to achieve it.

Garnacho, Yoro, Højlund and Mainoo will all be expecting to start the majority of games this season. The consistency from the 3 who were there last season is not there and Yoro is coming to a new league with a lot of experienced strikers.

Now maybe I'm wrong on this and they'll all jump to the next level or be used very rotationally with more experienced players but the more experienced players in the wide positions for instance are Antony, Rashford, Sancho and I suppose technically Amad; you are looking at a lot of players who have the jury out after last season and have a lot to prove themselves.

A lack of stability throughout the squad and not much has been done so far to alleviate that imo.

We only scored 58 goals the previous season.
    We need a better plan going forward other than 'hope a player produces some magic'. I'm hopeful Zirzkee is a sign of such thinking, and i think Hake could be key in that improvement - i've read his GAE side were qute innovative going forward - but their goalscoring is nothing to write home about so maybe not. Maybe they did outperform their quality though.

With the lack of goals we already have though, I just don't see how replacing one of the few we do have (who also creates lots) is anything other than a massive gamble.

We need to add about 20 goals a season to the side - we need our front line to be hitting about 55-60 goals between them, imo.

Simons got 8 last season I think. imo you can maybe look at 10 for Zirkzee. So Rashford, Hojlund (splitting time with Zirkee) and Amad/Garnacho for about 40 goals (in the league)?

• Advertisement

They absolutely need to be making top 4.

Whether we have built a squad capable of it is a good question, but it 100% has to be the aim.

And I'm not just saying that as a fan. I'm merely considering the fact even as last season went to sh.. Ratcliffe was still very clear and open about the CL being important, being the goal. I look at the fact our deal with Adidas contains clauses reducing its value every season we are not in the CL. I look at the amout of rebuilding we need to and simply can't imagine a scenario where the plans of the club are not based on making the CL. Sure we will have contingencies, but the target has to be top 4 (or 5 or win the EL) to win the CL for all the financial reasons it comes with. On top of being a club that isn't even aiming for top 4 becomes harder and harder to sell to players

I see no way the club is AIMING at finishing in an EL or ECL place again this season, and all the impacts that would have on future finances.

Translation : Manchester United and PSG have things to talk about this summer. Ugarte, Simons on one side. Sancho, Bruno Fernandes on the other. Competition for Lenny Yoro…

That time again….

DAILY MAIL

Antony's agent has spoken out on the Brazilian's future at Manchester United this summer amid doubt over his future, insisting the winger plans to stay at Old Trafford.

Bayern president Uli Hoeness has confirmed a defender could leave the club amid continued interest from Manchester United in Matthijs de Ligt.

DAILY MIRROR

Manchester United have been told to donate the funds made from Mason Greenwood's controversial sale to women's charities.

Metro

Manchester United are interested in keeping Sofyan Amrabat at the club after his loan spell but want to negotiate a new deal.

THE ATHLETIC

Everton have informed Manchester United they do not intend to sanction Jarrad Branthwaite's exit this summer, irrespective of their proposed takeover by the Friedkin Group collapsing.

THE TIMES

Erik ten Hag has insisted he is stronger as a manager after winning the FA Cup with Manchester United and should be considered second only to Pep Guardiola in terms of the impact he has made since coming to English football.

THE STANDARD

Manchester United do not want to allow Scott McTominay to leave the club amid interest from Fulham and Tottenham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

ETH is deluded if that article in the Times is true. In relation to Bruno there's no chance we swap him for Simons imo.

This is what happens when morons are in charge aka Murtough & Arnold

Mod edit: warning applied for abuse per forum charter

Post edited by DM_7 on

I seen this yesterday and what he actually said - "In two years, after Guardiola, we won the most trophies in English football"

But as usual the headline is grabbing and people react

I don't see the problem with that. Without that loan he would have been worth next to nothing.

Aparently we have had a bid of £25m + 4m for De Ligt rejected.

If true… interesting that we have bid so low, interesting we have bid without any further sales, interesting we have bid for a second CB signing before a Central Midfielder.

I'd read previously they want £42m+Bonuses, and our thought/limit is £42m inc Bonuses. So the first bid in is a mile away from both the Bayern ask, and what is rumoured to be our valuation of him (which makes sense, really). Will be interesting to see if/when/what we go back with.

I thought that was if he was sold in January while on loan to them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

About as well informed as most of your posts as far as I can see Mitch

Advertisement