Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The BIG thread on how to import from Japan

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jasper1422

I have a 2013 VW Golf 1.2 (DBA-ACUJZ) coming in shortly.

Just wondering will the attached CO2 and nox i found online work ok for VRT. Cant seem to find it on www.mlit.go.jp .Maybe its there but i cant see it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Managed to find an Excel sheet with it (the ones you posted seem to have the xDrive version that's a bit newer than my 2013 one) and got it put through VRT at Ballymount, but had to go for an assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭User1998

Can a mod sticky post the emissions sheets so that people stop PM’ing me on a weekly basis asking for it😅

VRT came back at over 4k Euro, max NOX charge too on the Japanese imported M135i. 😕

Does anyone know if it's possible to request the NOx from MLIT or to have it added?

Any contacts to get a CoC from BMW Japan?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jasper1422

Also looking for Nox for DBA ACUJZ if anyone can help? Thanks

• Advertisement

Any engineers here willing to check my work?

I think I've figured out how Japan came to the 13, 17 and 25mg bands for NOx:

Theoretical maximum NOx based the 12.6km/L fuel consumption listed on the MLIT website (using worst case scenario if a range was provided).

Heating value of petrol of 137.79BTU/kg
    Density of petrol of 0.78kg/L
    Emission factor of gasoline 7.39229E-06kg/BTU

The absolute maximum NOx possibly created by ~0.08 litres used in 1km is 63mg.

Considering most engines are 20-40% thermally efficiency, that would leave us with 12.6mg to 25.2mg.

Rounding the numbers off, that leaves us with 13mg-25mg/km range which is what is on the Japanese NOx sheet for BMWs. So while it excludes my M135i, it's impossible for it to create more than that.

Sources:
    https://www.epa.gov/system/files/documents/2024-02/ghg-emission-factors-hub-2024.pdf

https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/2020-10/documents/c03s03.pdf

So why do UK equivalent cars have more than 0.13 and 0.25 of Nox then?

They don't?

They seem to be 17mg/km on the calculator. Only other figure I've seen is 20mg/km and that wasn't from an official source.

What calculator? Cars from the UK have Nox values that vary from 0.01 grams right up to 0.100+ depending on the car. A UK Polo or Golf does not have 0.13g of Nox for example. A car with 16 inch wheels will have different Nox to a car with 18 inch wheels. Each individual car has an individual Nox amount.

Another example, Pre 2016 diesels can have a Nox charge of up to €3000 yet the same car in Japan will only have a charge of €65. Cars like BMW 320d for example

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TheDamIrish

Irish guy here working in Japan with one of the largest exporters of used cars.

Great thread - happy to help out with answering questions about the auctions, shipping etc.

• Advertisement

For the M135i, what are the first three letters/digits of the model code? 3BA?
    (listed on the export certificate)

Just saw your previous post - DBA-1B30.

Besides the excel which you submitted to Revenue, unfortunately this model is an outlier, difficult to find an "official" document with the data - and BMW Japan will have zero interest to provide it.

Post edited by TheDamIrish on

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I'm actually amazed they gave you a price that low. I was expecting you to get hit with 6k+ from an assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,297 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

So ill have an 2016 S3 on the way from japan shortly from JDM AW and i have afew questions regarding getting it home (Im in galway).

I saw afew mentions of car transporters and temporary insurance etc but abit dubious about driving a car from dublin to galway on jap plates, anyone else done it (insured ofc) and did you come across any hassle, want a galway reg etc.

The car won’t come with any plates so you’ll be driving it with no plates if you don’t print off temporary ones on A4 paper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I’ve recently imported from Japan. Zurich wouldn’t insure me with no plates. Got Eirtrans to transport it for me. I live down a country lane and an hour before they were due, the driver told me he couldn’t get his lorry down to me. I had told them my location when they took the job 🙄

Luckily my mechanic is in an industrial estate and he dropped it there and they took the key until I could get up to them.
    If I was doing it again, I’d look up a solo operator who can pick up at Dublin Port and bring it straight to my door.
    Same with the VRT, obviously, no plates so no insurance. Local guy transported it to the VRT office for me on his van transporter. Thankfully we didn’t need to unload it there. Took some pics of the engine and VIN off the car and the VRT guy was happy with that.
    JDM Auction Watch are great though. They send you a pack with everything you need for the VRT appointment by registered post. No hassle at that end at all.
    Best of luck with the S3. Lovely motor. Did you go for a saloon?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Its a grade 4.5 white hatch with 40k kms.

So from what I gather if I get a reg made myself with info given I can just drive it from port them (on a 30 day policy etc)

Cool thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I have an S3 en route too with JDM AW. I am a little confused from reading the above post. Can you bring the supplied pack to the VRT office to get the plates without presenting the car? Also, I want my home county reg which I have paperwork for but I live in a different county. Does it matter which VRT office you go to or does it have to be the county you live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,581 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Car will need to be presented for inspection, they check chassis number, engine number and spec. Your proof of address docs will determine the county it's registered in. Any VRT office will work.

That is what I thought, the car needs to be physically there. I believe Britton Insurance will insure the car in anticipation of plates being issued via the VIN. I would normally insure via Cornmarket as they smash everyone on price but won't entertain a quote without a plate.

I mean ill find out the translated reg characters so i can get a set of real plates made for the journey, cheaper than a flatbed and less likely to draw attention on the spin to galway, i'd go to local nct centre purely out of convienience etc

Mustn't be too far away now @James Bond Junior 😀

• Advertisement

I'll be on to you yet for advice! Currently on a ship about to dock in Singapore. Hopefully she will be underway to Rotterdam soon. We have another shipping container with our house contents in it which we are also tracking and they are due to land around the same.time so it is like a very slow race!

Haha mine is still in Japan so be awhile yet, just trying to do my research ahead of time

Do you know someone with trade plates? The other common option is to get it towed to the NCT center out by the airport - registration plates will be based on your county of residence.

Post edited by TheDamIrish at

I might do but honestly as ill have to wait for a week for them to get back to me with a price i may aswell have it at home and just present it to a local nct centre rather that getting it towed to one in dublin. Either way ill have to get it to the nct centre

Advertisement