Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 irishspiderplant

it wasn’t a strange place to leave her boots if her habit was to put them on when she got up in the morning and to wear them about the house, as was recently revealed.

Another aspect that points to a morning murder

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Evergreen_7

it was an unknown whitish substance iirc. Definitely not blood.

What Sheridan and others don’t understand is that the boot would have to be retested using different techniques to obtain a full dna profile, so we have to hope that it’s been preserved properly and has sufficient forensic matter to do this. I believe it was a partial male dna profile.
    things have come a long way since it was retested in around 2011? I probably have that wrong. Anyway. It’s not as simple as “shur let’s just get the ethnicity”. It’s a whole other process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

“What Sheridan and others don’t understand is that the boot would have to be retested using different techniques to obtain a full dna profile”

Maybe give him a ring and explain this to him, he might not be as up to date as yourself.

probably not no, since he works in the arts and not the sciences.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There are forensic experts consulted as part of the programme, as might be expected.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The photo of the white-painted stairs in Sophie's house…I think they were shown in a Crimeline reconstruction, quite early on; and a Guard commented that Sophie didn't allow shoes to be worn upstairs. The white paint on the steps did not show any sign that any booted or muddy feet etc had ever gone up them. She kicked off her boots at the foot of the stairs.

So the ones she was wearing when she died must have been, as @chooseusername pointed out, a set that was kept downstairs, probably near the door, possibly in that very pile. Ready to go outdoors.

But I think probably not to answer the door by dead of night. In my opinion, the visitor-in-the-small-hours theory just feels ever more unlikely.

Post edited by Day Lewin on

then perhaps they should have advised him on their expertise before he told the press a load of nonsense

There was a pair of mocassin type house shoes/slippers on the bathroom floor.

It looks like Sophie used this bathroom, rather than the en suite in the guest room where she slept, the slippers, the clothes on the bath and her watch and jewellry etc.

If as @irishspiderplant says outdoor boots and shoes were not allowed upstairs, why are her slippers upstairs in the bathroom? why are they not in the bedroom where she slept or at the bottom of the stairs?

Did she usually go about upstairs in her bare feet? Or was she using the bathroom and did not have time to put the slippers on before going downstairs?

I'll post the floor plans of the house again to show the bathroom in relation to the guest room where she slept, and also the fact every room in the house had a window facing down her lawn towards the gates where the attack took place. ( curtesy of Phil Mathers on Reddit)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Whats the load of nonsense? At the moment you havent given any real explanation.

What is the reason why the DNA information gathered during the previous test on the boot could not now be used to give an indication to ethnicity?

Or, to give an indicative match against the DNA profile of AN other, if not 100 percent then at least exclude with reasonable certainty?

What level of DNA nformation was previoisly obtained and what is your source for that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I didn’t say that shoes weren’t allowed upstairs, I was referring to an article from Feb 2024

‘Her friends say that she would leave her boots at the foot of the stairs and put them on when she came down in the morning because the floors were cold.’

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/sunday-independent-ireland/20240204/281672554837333

• Advertisement

no problem!

As it is, I feel this detail about the boots being Sophie’s morning wear is a massive detail and there was no mention of it until spring of this year. This thread has spent a lot of time going around in circles about why she was wearing the boots in the first place. This would explain that part of it at least. And at least points to a morning crime.

Looking at it again, if the boots were in the front porch with the other outdoor boots, it would have made more sense for her to pull on her wellies. She is seen wearing her wellies in the video walking by the pump house.

She had no socks on, so it suggests she came downstairs in her bare feet, possibly from the bathroom, where her slippers were, and pulled on the boots to either go straight outside or potter about downstairs before going out.

I am of the opinion she was not wearing those boots out on her walk on Sunday, Tomi Ungerer described the boots she had on on Sunday as brown suede boots and that she was fashionably dressed. It's unlikely she would have gone visiting the Ungerers and Sullivan's pub in those boots;

More likely she was in the brown suede boots in the photo, at the foot of the stairs.

Also, John Harbison described how he removed the left boot without undoing the lace which had broken and was permanently knotted. So not really suitable for trekking in Dunlough.

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1875176815301918

Very interesting…but was this around in 1996/7?

Even if not, will it work on "preserved evidence" years later?

Did anyone watch the program "The Wrong Man" on BBC2 last night?

Worrying parallels between the Greater Manchester police handling of the case of Andrew Malkinson and Gardaí handling of Sophie Toscan Du Plantier murder.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/article/2024/jun/06/andrew-malkinson-bbc-the-wrong-man-17-years-behind-bars-review-dignified-devastating-tv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

It's hard to say what she would have preferred when she visited the pub or the Ungerers. Maybe somebody at the pub or the Ungerers would have remembered, but now nearly 30 years onwards, that's hard to say for certain.

I would only suggest that anybody putting on boots for a longer walk would certainly put on socks as well. She probably didn't intend to go far when she went outside. That's my guess.

However all that doesn't prove anything, and certainly doesn't get us a conviction for murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Lecter8319

God, its all gone very quiet now with the so called new investigation into Sophie's death. Sounds like because the one they were so determined to pin it on has passed away, the desire for an outcome isnt as strong as it was before. Its looking increasingly likely, it'll never be solved. Just a mad story/event/tragedy whatever you want to call it which ruined many lives but as least it did shine a light on the incompetence/corruption/negligence within our own country. The only person I have any faith in to make any sort of reasonable developments is Jim Sheridan but he may not even have long left.

Yes the main suspect dead has taken the heat out of it now. The Gardai are still investigating.

• Advertisement

I was watching a documentary recently about a case in England, about 2010; where the police fixated on one person and arrested him, and subsequently (quite soon!) found that it wasn't him at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/sep/16/joanna-yeates-police-apologise-christopher-jefferies

There are some parallels with the Toscan du Plantier case - but many significant differences.

The crime took place at Christmas - The body of Joanna Yeates was actually found on Christmas day. In this case too, the very cold ground temperatures were a factor in trying to estimate the time of death.

The police decided that it must have been her landlord - arrested and questioned him, and the poor man was denounced in the Press as a murderer; the real culprit was soon found, but they didn't clear Jefferies' name for a couple of months.

He did manage to win an apology, and he claims to have been deeply scarred and insulted by being unfairly treated as a suspect on virtually no evidence.

We don't KNOW if Ian Bailey was guilty or innocent; but imagine - if he was innocent - how much unjustified scorn he had to live with!

A cautionary tale.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We don't KNOW if Ian Bailey was guilty or innocent; but imagine - if he was innocent - how much unjustified scorn he had to live with!

There was no evidence presented to indicate Bailey had any involvement (what was presented by AGS was easily shot down as rubbish by multiple DPPs). He was never charged with anything to do with the murder. Now whilst he may have done it, in the eyes of the law, he is completely innocent.

/pedant

Quite correct, duly noted! Even the real murderer - whoever it may be - is deemed to be innocent until found guilty in a court of law.

I found this really interesting video on YouTube; the interviewee is a crime scene investigator.

At 2.50 she starts talking in detail about blood spatter patterns and generally about the detection of blood distribution etc

At 9 mins she begins to describe the respect and care that is due to a murder scene - the place where someone died - to avoid contaminating it or destroying evidence.

I can't help feeling that in the Toscan du Plantier case, such meticulous care was NOT taken, to preserve the crime scene and protect the evidence. If only such a highly professional team as this woman represents had been available in West Cork in 1996!

Another filler piece in The Sindo today,

Behind paywall, but a few bits here;

She was not interviewed by the original investigation team, even though she was in regular contact with her brother, who has been the main suspect for the crime for three decades.

She is understood to be one of several witnesses who have been approached for the first time.

Detectives also want to interview witness Marie Farrell’s son, Michael, who was just 10 years old at the time of Ms Du Plantier’s murder, to corroborate his mother’s statements. He was with her in 1996 during one of her sightings of the “tall man in the dark coat”.

Gardaí sought to interview Michael for the first time this year, but as he lives in Australia it is understood the interview has not yet happened.While requests have been issued through official channels to interview as many as 20 witnesses in France and elsewhere as part of the investigation, gardaí are not commenting on whether the man recently identified by Ms Farrell is among them.

DNA samples taken from 134 exhibits at the crime scene are likely to be sent for further analysis. One male genetic profile on Ms Du Plantier’s boot has never been identified.Fingerprints also remain unidentified. A statement from a garda technical expert in 1997 said the “many fingerprints” identified in the house belonged to the housekeeper and members of her family, but “a few” fingerprints could not be identified.

Garda sources say Bailey continues to be a focus of the murder investigation. Shortly after his death, officers searched his rented flat on Barrack Street in Bantry.Notebooks, papers, writings, his mobile phone and laptop and various storage devices were among the boxes of items taken to the incident room in the local garda station.

So, nothing in it really, just a journalist phoning the Garda Press Office only to be fed the same old fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Lecter8319

yes it seems like grasping at straws at this stage. The only thing I have hope for is to the dna on the boot & possibly the fingerprints in the house which weren’t identified.

I haven't quite lost hope of the car.

A car must have been used in this crime; the place is miles from anywhere, down grassy lanes. The gate was pushed back, wide open against the hedge; you only do that for a car.

The crime was so brutal that the killer MUST have had blood on his shoes, sleeves etc.

By the way, the cars of all the local possible suspects were checked, as far as I know; and no blood was found.

So that car has never been located. But it must have existed! And if it is still around and not compressed for scrap, the evidence could be still on the floor mats.

A very faint, long-shot hope, like all the other hopes. But still, just possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

If Bailey had been the killer he would not have required the use of a car to travel to Sophie's house and then exit the murder scene. Not at all. His then residence, The Prairee, is, at most, a four kilometre walk from the DuPlantier house. The long striding Ian could have accomplished the round trip in two and a half hours or so taking into account his supposedly inebriated condition and the possibility of a detour to Kealfadda Bridge to wash off any bloody evidence. If you know the road leading to Sophie's it's so narrow as to make it extremely difficult to stop, do an about turn and then park up somewhere with a view to making a quick escape afterwards. In fact, you would have to drive up the hill from the gate to Sophie's back yard to accomplish this. To my knowledge, no extra tyre marks were found at the scene that might belong to a vehicle other than those that were already parked up there for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭drury..

Someone posted they're hoping sheridan might solve it

Sure he's only on the stdp gravy train

He'll have an angle to get the interest up

He's supposedly doing a mock Irish trial of Bailey

No doubt there'll be a big cliffhanger at the end while the country awaits the verdict that might have been

• Advertisement

This is, of course, equally true of anyone else living within a 5K radius, too.

My point about the car still stands, however; why was the lane gate pushed open as wide as it would go?

And there WAS mention of some faint trace of a tyre mark…which was probably driven over by the lady who found the body.

Advertisement