Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

NGO culture. They are a cushy plan B for TDs if they lose seats and cannot get a gig in Brussels so being woke and buying into the NGO cultures

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I responded to a poster who said they weren't from the town. Not my claim. Took his word for it. If you know something to the contrary I'm all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

these blokes pretending to be nationalist irish women twitter accounts are gas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The "bussed in NGOs" were headed by the Mary wallopers, a very proud Dundalk band, the "concerned citizens" were led by Ireland freedom party Muppets Patrice Johnson, Paul Fitzsimons and Herman Kelly, who'd only know Dundalk as the last turn before you hit Jonesboro for fireworks and slabs of 440ml cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Miharo

I think you're right unfortunately. ROG saying earlier it will go ahead as planned. Seems like a very bad idea.

• Advertisement

Saw another tweet earlier and the girl talking in support of the migrant centre had a dublin accent. Will try to find it now

Thank you and I believe you!

So it looks like both sides had both local and outsiders present. My personal opinion, don't have an issue with it. People are obsessed with the so call far right activists moving around supporting various local movements. But it happens with the left activists also.

Again thanks for the counter argument good to get a balanced view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The journo (Nicola Byrne) went up to protesters in April and told them that they didn't represent the people in the area - A bit antagonistic no? - Her car was allegedly damaged and she was quoted €1100 for repair but was told by the mechanic he knows an immigrant that might fix it for less - This immigrant (no national identity proffered) fixed said car back to new condition for €180

It's a lovely story except…Her mechanic likely said 'I know a Polish lad that might do it cheaper', but that turned into a generic immigrant - There is pretty obviously VAT fraud of some description going on there. If I were a journo and wanted to talk to these protesters I wouldn't arrive with a Kitty Holland head on me - I'd say, 'Lads, I'm neutral on this and I'm just trying to understand your pov on this situation, so can we have a chat as we munch through this bag of doughnuts I've brought…?'

She was a dope

28:00 mins in

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22416992/

When someone ends up dead, ogorman should end up in front of a jury

• Registered Users Posts: 54,321 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Misinformation and disinformation.

The Governments new trope replacing Far Right bogeyman and racist.

This Government really believe people are stupid and they buy in to this **** they are peddling.

The Governments dialogue and communication crap, there's no such thing!!. At the end of the day the Government wont listen as they don't like the answers.

That Mary Louise McDonald what an awful leader of SF, last time I looked you're meant to be in opposition, well do something to condone this **** from the Government, this is like the referendum all over again, they cannot read the room. Im sure dialogue and communication will make Coolock residents want these illegals beside them…….

What planet is she living on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭jay1988

You'd have to wonder if he even believes this stuff himself, I'm from the area and he couldn't be further from the truth, fair enough the vast majority of us don't agree with the violence and damage to property, the people up to that stuff are easily led idiots who believe everything the one person in their friend group that can actually read happens to spew straight from his Facebook.

But the vast majority of the area is against this centre, there is and always has been very little resources in this area, even during the Celtic tiger years we were massively left behind, it's a 3 week to a month wait to get a doctor's appointment around here at the minute, the schools are full to bursting and we are massively lacking in special needs places in local schools putting 500 extra people into the area to share those resources is never gonna work.

But of course that means nothing to the likes of O'Gorman or Harris, I doubt they've ever stepped foot in Coolock.

The 500 will multiply quick quickly too. It will spiral out of control.

DP was to be ended according to Roderic in 2020 when he promised keys to accommodation within 4 months. Now we are being flooded as a result. And today we have a Ukrainian woman threatening to kill someone while complaining that she doesn't have a house (why doesn't she buy one then)

I'm resigned to my kids either living at home til they are 40 or else emigrating and if they do emigrate and ever have kids of their own I will see them once a year if lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭giseva

Unfortunately that's a future so many of us are facing.

What's more unfortunate is that people will continue to vote in politicians and political parties directly responsible for this nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,611 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 54,321 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's horrible that there's no real opposition party.

We can vote for independents (Ill be voting for them) but they wont be able to form a government and once again we'll be stuck with FF/FG (exact same party) and a small party like the god awful labour

Across the board the main players all support this though. The "consultation" the DOI had with Coolock was them briefing TD and councillors mainly from parties who support this BS knowing there would be no push back.

Its either FF/FG again or a coalition from

SF/Green/Labour/Social Dem - None of who would change it dramatically. Sinn Fein backed the wrong horse here and I feel they don't actually want to be in government as they prefer to shout from the sidelines.

My money is on the greens getting murdered and FF and FG gaining just enough to go at it without a third party

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

Who is the alternative. It's not SF as they most definitely were cheerleaders for the current government policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Cheap labour is the way. Oh wait. They think these people will work like slaves🤣

I honestly do not know.

Greens to be obliterated would be a good start. Though they're all as bad as each other, at least they're consistent.

Canvassing during the general election will be interesting. One or two could benefit from security walking around with them as they go door to door.

I'm in the same boat. I want my kids to grow up and hang around with their kids. These bastards running this country couldn't give a **** about us socially. If our kids leave they'll just invite in another family from who knows where. We're number's on a spread sheet. Easily replaced. They don't understand nationalism at all.

• Advertisement

You know I was thinking Aontu are probably the biggest party clearly against this madness. I wonder could they run a candidate in your area they might have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Where are they going to emigrate to? All of the anglosphere has a housing crisis. I know a doctor in melbourne who can't afford to buy anything half decent there.

I find it funny that someone would complain about immigrants when their kids are going to places that are already over subscribed.

I myself don't think it's funny. I think that a very small percentage of asylum seekers arriving into this country are genuine.

The difference in Irish people going the other way is that they, for the most part, can actually contribute to an economy as opposed to just take from it.

I also think there should be laws against, or strict controls for non-nationals coming to Ireland and purchasing property or having the passport baby, effectively driving prices up, and forcing John and Mary to stay in their parents homes through no fault of their own, or leaving the country being their other choice.

You should tell that doctor to get over here, ROG said he's giving own door accommodation to doctors and engineers, or a Trespass tent at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭jay1988

I doubt it tbh, they don't have a big presence around here and I can't remember them ever polling well here since they've come on the scene and anybody else with an anti immigration slant that ran here in the locals was a nut job, one chap I know personally, who somehow came very close to being elected, is an absolute headbanger who should never be allowed run a bath unsupervised nevermind run for election.

We seem to elect from the same parties time and again around here, SF have historically done well here because they've always been the ones who are seen to get stuff done locally but I have a feeling that may change next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

At the heart of the immigration issue is the housing crisis. We've had crap politicians and useless leaders for the past 15 years or so who felt you could grow a country by millions without the state (FF/FG) intervening to build houses. They bought entirely into the Thatcherite-Reagan neo-liberalist agenda of allowing the market to regulate itself and if you couldn't afford a house then too bad. Go homeless or rent off a vulture fund. In other words the state is not responsible yet they happily use the HAP scheme to funnel taxpayers cash into the pockets of landlords and vulture funds.

The immigration issue was just the straw that broke the camel's back for many people because suddenly the state (FF/FG) couldn't do enough for people from other countries, pretty much all of whom have never paid a cent tax in Ireland.

If housing as an issue had been taken seriously during 2010-20 then the assimilation of hundreds of thousands of immigrants might have been much easier although there still would have been tensions as the very edifice of the country is being changed forever in a couple of years and especially since the war in Ukraine started in February 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

The heart of the immigration ISSUE is not the housing crisis. This has to be stopped been thrown out by people . 10s of thousands of economic migrants arriving every year with nothing in common with our laws or culture is completely unsustainable and bonkers and will lead to a breakdown in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dogsdodogsstuff

Oh you wait, there will be the rise of an alternative soon enough, nature and politics abhor a vacuum. The irony will be that they will be most likely an extreme version , opposite to what we have, which will lead us to to a place like England under the disastrous knobs of the last 10 years or USA Trumpist Bullsh*t tearing that country apart.

It’s so demoralising , as you say, that there really isn’t a proper central leaning alternative in most countries by the looks of it. You get central , nothing changes , vanilla parties or the extreme ones who will offer/promise change , but in the most destructive and polarising manner.

Real shame there is no real meaningful public discussions by intelligent people who want to discuss how society should progress or change moving forward. All we get is career politicians saying or doing what they think will get votes , what will tow the EU line and generally what will benefit their party. No long term , greater good consideration for what would be best for society overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭creeper1

Okay both Australia and Ireland have housing crisis.

I'm hearing that opportunities to develop your career and earn money are better in Australia.

I think that's enough for a lot of young people to choose Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭boetstark

Government could ease alot of concerns and problems by listening to the concerns of the people that elected them , and stop treating us like children that don't know what's best.

Arrogant fcukers. On a side note Mehole M swanning around southern Africa at our expense. This shower have got so full of their own self importance its unreal.

• Advertisement

If we had ample houses being built and thousands of dubious IPA's granted housing could you imagine the increase in numbers we'd now have? Half of Georgia would be on it's way, half of Nigeria, Albania etc. It's also been proven in Sweden, the UK etc that if too many people arrive from cultures too different to our own, many won't assimilate and big social issues Will arise. (Not saying Nigeria, Albania and Georgia won't assimilate because they're on the higher end).

I personally think giving people a social life can result in productivity issues going forward. I've seen reports from other countries where an Asylum comes lives the free social life and then their kids also have a very bad uptake in employment. I can't remember which country this was from. Probably the UK or Sweden but it seemed to be creating generational issues.

This isn't a racial issue and it's probably for the same reasons in the poorest parts of Ireland you have generations of families on the dole in social housing.

I think the only solution is a much smaller number of IPA's so you've the resources to really help them get going and outside that all immigration must be legal and they must have the skills needed to go straight into a job which is vacant.

Advertisement