Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2024 - Round 13 - Budapest - Hungaroring

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,371 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Max could be the greatest of all time, but he's too comfortable in a car that is better than everyone else's.

These complete tantrums when he's 'in the mix' are utterly ridiculous. He just comes across as a spoilt brat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

They all do it when the car or strategy doesn't go their way and you'd be sick of hearing drivers bitch and moan but we tend to hear more radio messages when its Verstappen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

At this point though, is the Red Bull that much better than the competitors? Verstappen was stuck behind Hamllton for a few laps even with DRS.

I'm not a fan of his at all and I agree that his tantrums are "entertaining" at best. I'd argue though that he is one of the greatest anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Ultimate Gowlbag

When it's the champion you hear it more,people used Hamiltons moaning as a stick to beat him with…same is happening now with Verstappen

Interestingly, Anthony Davidson on Sky just analysed the Hamilton-Verstappen collision and he (kind of) opined it was a racing incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Saw on twitter that Alonso let Stroll past to attack Tsunoda, with understanding they'd swap back if unsuccessful. He was unsuccessful, but didn't swap back. Which was for last point.

Yeah, read that too. I can see in the results that Stroll finished less than a second behind Tsunoda, so maybe they thought they had a chance - although that would have been highly unlikely outside the DRS zone, so probably managed badly by the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Tsunoda is making a good case for Checos replacement, he's now scored double the points Ricciardo has this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

**** off Piastri.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

Delighted for Piastri. Norris should've swapped earlier and then over taken him, but it is what it is. Clearly a very talented driver.

Ferrari did better than I expected. Unfortunately they're a bit behind McLaren and RB now, and probably behind Merc too. Hopefully some development can bring them back towards the front, fight for some podiums, and be there to pick up the pieces and nab a couple of wins with a bit of luck.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

what did Norris do that deserves him to give up that place? What did he do wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

He should have given up the spot after pit 2. He could have then challenged for the win.

Instead he got all moody and wasn't thinking it through clearly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

He only ended up P1 due to McLaren stupidly undercutting Piastri in P1 (undercut is famously strong in Hungary so literally everyone knew this would happen)

Piastri was comfortably P1 all race until then, like the previous poster mentioned if Lando thought he could have beaten Oscar on pace he should have given the position to back to Oscar after his pit stop, instead he just started ignoring the team radio and got greedy.

The root of all this is really the McLaren pitwall who have somehow managed to make a weekend where they secured a 1-2 in qualifying and converted it on race day feel like an uneasy weekend for the team when it should have been jubilation, the team radios were cringey at the end.

Could Lando have done with the extra 7 points in his loooong odds of a chance of catching Max in the constructors? Sure, but he can blame his antics at Austria before that. Like the team radios were saying it’s a team game, Lando lost sight of that today for a bit today which is not a good look IMO.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A great race and a great result. I really enjoyed that. Max threw a few tantrums but I can live with that. I’m a big fan of Max but I enjoy watching him have to really fight for the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Does anyone know what exactly was agreed pre-race for the McLaren drivers? I'm getting a sense that they were free to race up until lap 40-odd?

But to hold formation thereafter? When was the second stop?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Verstappen and Hamilton ruled a driving incident I see.

Max has doubled down on his criticism in the post race interviews which won't help quell rumours of him leaving. I quite enjoy when there is a bit of back and forth on the radios. He did cross a line today though. He also failed to mention how he didn't make the overtake in the race stick earlier when he ran wide.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Clearly the incident with Hamilton on balance was much more Max’s fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

There was a radio message to Lando that said he could race the paprika car until the mid 40's (presumably the mid 40 laps) so yeah, probably was instruction to hold station by lap 45.

Still stupid of McLaren to put Norris in that position when there was zero threat in behind. Mclaren need to be a lot smarter with their in race stragety if they want to go for the constructors. Cost them a few races this year already with some dithering calls.

• Advertisement
    Ms

**** you Mclaren you have a traiter driving fir you. What a **** race. I wish Mclaren nothing but bad luck from here in in all of them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I will never buy another Mclaren ever again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

Me neither.

Because I obviously can’t afford one and nothing to do with the formula 1 racing team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

McLaren have solidified themselves in the top 3 I think. Two very good drivers and now the car is in a very competitive place.

It will be interesting to see if there's more developments to come from RedBull. If there isn't Max will be forced to race harder and by the looks of it, will inevitably have more DNFs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Enjoyable race even if most of the action was on the radios rather than the track.

Norris tends to try too hard from pole to get across the track and block the car in 2nd rather than concentrating on making the first corner in the lead and it caught him out again today. After that McLaren made it more awkward than it needed to be. They didn't need to pit Norris to cover Hamilton and could easily have waited a few more laps to pit Piastri then Norris and sailed off to a comfortable one two. They got there in the end so may not be a problem but definitely think Norris's actions took the shine of Piastri's first win.

Max not happy all weekend and it showed today, two poor attempts to pass Hamilton. Runs wide after a mistake by Hamilton then torpedoes up the inside. Must be frustrating for him to have no help with Perez so far back and the Red Bull no longer the fastest car on the track.

Its building up to be a great season, Red Bull, McLaren, Mercedes and maybe Ferrari all capable of winning races

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

AMKC sees a baby being pushed around in a Maclaren stroller. AMKC kicks the baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This.

Max was not his best today, but all teams and drivers have days like this. Sky love to twist the knife more on it when they can.

Max is competitive, he is really like Schumacher in that he will do anything to win, that is why I like him, competitive animal and he really won’t care what people think or say about him. Drivers don’t care about popularity, they just care about winning.

As for McLaren, that was a messy situation all over, I’m sure they will handle it better in the future if they can. It’s a nice place to be though, they were out and out the fastest over the whole weekend.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,371 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

No, the Red Bull isn't much better right now.

Which is why we're seeing what we're seeing. Tantrums and a dive-bomb today. And yes, they all get annoyed at times, but his antics are worse IMO. But maybe I'm biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I get that it's all about the constructors championship which is all about the money over winning a driver's championship.

But no one remembers which team won they only remember the driver of that year. It will be a hollow win if they win the constructures yet lose the driver's championship by 5 points at the end. Lando lost 7 points today that he should have.

Remember when Red bull told Max to swap and all he said was no and don't ask again. Everyone shrugged their shoulders and continued on saying that's why he is a champion.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

If you put a mic on every professional athlete, you’d learn that this is nearly how all of them speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Iluvjazzmasters

Verstappen really has shown his true colours today. Surely even the most one-eyed fans can't defend him after that.

In turn 1 he did exactly what he did when Norris passed him in Austria. He nailed the throttle well before the exit kerb and used the runoff to maximise his speed through the corner so he didn't lose the position, then wrongly blamed Norris for running him off the road.

He spent much of the race moaning about his car, his team, everyone. Some have claimed that Hamilton complains when he's not winning - but it's nothing like the endless, odious way in which Verstappen complains.

And as for that move on Hamilton, it was yet another example that spoke to his desperation and a complete lack of ability to race cleanly unless he has a massive car advantage.

When he is not winning he puts himself, but more importantly, others in danger, that is not a skillful driver by any stretch of the imagination, he was never making that pass on Hamilton, though some people are trying to make excuses, well , some are.

You can be a skilful driver in that you have the skill required to drive a car quickly but you don’t possess the skill to do that and avoid hitting other cars at the same time. In my opinion that is why he will never be a great driver in the way that Stewart, Lauda, Senna, Hamilton and others have been.

However if he is to be the one of the greatest drivers ever, move teams and win a WDC and constructors with another team and prove you can adapt to any environment and become one of the true greats of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Practically ever driver on lap 1 who runs wide has done that.

most famously Remember Hamilton in Abu Dhabi.

Hamilton complained abt his tyres then put in fastest laps in years gone by to try and make out he was over achieving.

Max actually is struggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭quokula

You should probably pay attention to what actually happened rather than take the gaslighting of the British commentators as gospel.

Both Hamilton and the stewards said the collision was just a racing incident, nothing more. Drivers make late moves like that all the time and it doesn't always work out, it's nothing unusual. Lando did it multiple times on Max at Austria, the difference being that Max stayed out of the way instead of turning in and clipping him the way Hamilton did. Max did brake late (technically according to the telemetry he braked at the same time as normal, but misjudged that he was carrying more speed than the previous lap), and he locked up but his trajectory was not towards Hamilton, it was to the inside of him. The contact happened because Lewis turned in and clipped him. The stewards recognised in their conclusion that Lewis could have avoided doing that, and Lewis himself was happy to just call it a racing incident rather than try to blame Max. Nobody directly involved thought it was a big deal.

In the last two years I think Max has been in a total of two collisions, both of which were pretty minor tyre on tyre contacts that the media have blown wildly out of proportion, despite the fact that in both incidents even the other driver involved didn't think it was anything more than a racing incident and didn't blame Max (Lando did at first but changed his mind on reviewing replays and data). I'm not sure there are many drivers on the grid with a cleaner record.

As for turn 1, again it's something you see multiple drivers do regularly at turn 1. And Lando did visibly push him off. Watch the onboard, Max was ahead at the apex and Lando specifically turned his steering wheel to the left in the middle of a right hand turn forcing Max off. The fact that Norris was only doing this to avoid Piastri is not relevant. Max did nothing wrong there and gave the place back anyway, which he probably didn't need to do.

Obviously Max's comments on the radio could have been much better judged, but his complaints were well founded. The car was handling poorly, they've been more and more off the pace of their competitors with each passing race with a car that has been increasingly difficult to drive, just look at where a top quality driver like Perez is ending up recently as he can't drive the wheels off the thing on a knife edge like Max can. Meanwhile the strategy he was put on was a disaster. Hungaroring is well known as being the most difficult tracks on the entire calendar to pass on other than Monaco, so running a strategy that required passing multiple competitive cars was never going to work. It was inevitable Max would get frustrated and some of that would come out.

Honestly I think GP did an absolutely terrible job though. Max's complaining was nothing out of the ordinary for an F1 driver, Lewis is of course most famous for it but Lando does it, Fernando does it, pretty much every driver does it. I think Piastri may be the only driver from the top teams I've never heard bitching over the radio. Honestly it's natural with adrenaline flowing when everything is going against you and you're pushing to the limit. What I've never heard though is an engineer getting passive aggressive and escalating and exacerbating things. Normally the engineer is there to calm things down and get the driver back in the right head space, but GP seemed to just want to antagonise Max further and make the frustration worse as the race went on, it was bizarre. I'd be very curious to know how that debrief went down.

As for your final point about different teams, I don't think chasing performance by moving to whatever team you expect to have the best car defines a great champion. Helping lift your existing team into a competitive place and showing loyalty is equally if not more valid. No two situations are the same so it's a completely arbitrary metric to use honestly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭oceanman

i have always had good time for Norris but this race showed a dark side to his character….he done everything to steal piastris limelight. not a good look for him at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Every single one of those racers would probably have tried to justify staying where they are and winning the race if they were in Norris's position. His demeanor after the race was pretty good. Contrast that to Stroll refusing to switch back and the numerous times it's happened at Alpine.

Max hasn't got the 2024 title wrapped up yet and he's starting to look shakey. It's not impossible that his margin of winning over Lando is less than 7 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Toranaga

Best race I've seen in a long time. Drama and storylines all over the top of the grid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Depends on what part of Norris you're referring to. He went lower in terms of whether I'd enjoy a few pints with him. But higher in terms of having the ruthlessness that helps top drivers be top drivers.

I think he made his point and still gave back the position. Felt sorry for Oscar to have his first win begrudgingly given to him. But I thought Norris made his point clearly. It's not long since people doubles his toughness when he was joking about with Sainz. Yesterday was correcting for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

It was a fairly **** race. I don't watch F1 for team radio "drama".

Hopefully Spa we see more racing instead of that bull*hit yesterday. I really hope sky lose the rights the next time they are up for auction. Fcuking atrcious

Ms

I agree 100 percent here. Worst race of the season. So bad. Lando should have won. If Piastri wanted it he should have passed him or though luck. Mclaren will come to regret that stupid move yet.

As for Sky I agree too. Unfortunately it does not look like they will be losing it anytime soon.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Lando didn't win as he's not able to get a good start. The tripe from Croft(I think) about Lando's amazing start, so amazing he was lucky not to be third.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Joeface

I don't know if it was that bad of a race , I think camera work and commentary just over focused on stuff at the front that was kind of waiting for stuff to happen. the winner in the end was an anti climax .took from Oscar .
    it was entertaining watching Max , Lewis battle . both times during the race . Looking at the order on the side of the screen you could see plenty of overtakes happening down the field but never showed any of those .
    We were shown Norris' car while he talked on the radio , We were shown Max's car when he spoke on the radio . Dialog Drama and Race drama are two different things .

maybe the long season is getting to everyone and they are just sick of travelling together . The break after Spa will be welcome .

One of the things I dislike over the last few years is the team radio broadcast unless your listening to the entire thing live it's is bits and pieces out of sync and makes it look worse.

We don't need every little "how's things" radio call. It should be kept to any significant

Sky are ruining this season for me. I have a VPN, I'm going to see if i can pick up a broadcast from a different country going forward

ESPN in America use Sky's coverage too I'm afraid.

There is F1 TV, but you need their app/subscription to access.

Ye actually, i think the sky coverage is the global feed (well for English speaking countries)

Thanks, i'll look in to F1 TV, even if i have to pay for the sub.

The anti Max bias has reached fever pitch. The fact he has been dominating since 2021 has meant they haven't really had a chance to show their true colours.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement